+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Erlessan

Thread: Mage AoE Specs & lvling specs 4 dungeons

Default Mage AoE Specs & lvling specs 4 dungeons

Hey guys; sorry if this has been discussed in other threads- I did a bit of searching but couldn't find any specific answers to what I was looking for.

I stopped playing rift during ID thinking I'd enjoy GW2 more however I've realized the most fun I've ever had in an MMO is w/ Rift; it's just more my style and I'm now returning to it full time.

Alot has changed and it's a bit daunting trying to catch up... I remember playing SC/Pyro as my main AoE spec before I left and I'm just curious, what is currently the best AoE spec now? Is there an AoE spec that also pulls okay ST dps as well?

Furthermore; I've been curious what specs other people used while running dungeons between lvl 50-60? Currently I'm using Ele/necro/pyro for mostly everything but wouldn't mind some more diversity in my play-style.

Lastly; I see bluedots apparently fizzled out and was wondering if there are any good sites or youtube vids I should check out?

Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by chant; 03-24-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by chant View Post
    I remember playing SC/Pyro as my main AoE spec before I left and I'm just curious, what is currently the best AoE spec now? Is there an AoE spec that also pulls okay ST dps as well?
    Right now 61 Dom is our best AOE option. Stormcaller isn't really effective right now, though it is being worked on currently on PTS. For mages, there is no good AOE/ST spec, necrolist is likely the best AOE/ST mix we have (though the ST isn't very close to the best ST specs).

Furthermore; I've been curious what specs other people used while running dungeons between lvl 50-60? Currently I'm using Ele/necro/pyro for mostly everything but wouldn't mind some more diversity in my play-style.
    I used the ele/necro/pyro mix for dungeons when I wasn't healing. The leveling harb/chloro/archon spec does ok as well in dungeons, especially if you don't have a mage healer.

Lastly; I see bluedots apparently fizzled out and was wondering if there are any good sites or youtube vids I should check out?
    The guides section in this forum normally has the best specs I have found anywhere for mages.

I appreciate the info, thanks!

For me the harb/chloro (get NT from chloro, rest in harb) spec was really good for both pve farming and dungeons. It might not have the best aoe, but you can pull as many mobs as you want without dying and killing them fairly fast. It also outdps'd all other mages I encountered in dungeons.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

As mentioned, the necrolist spec is generally considered a decent all-around spec such as is needed for dungeons. Most high Harbinger variants work great provided you don't mind melee. 61 Dominator is very powerful AoE - works best in great hunt rifts (GHunts) where tanks can pull 20+ mobs together but it can also be used in dungeons for 3+ target trash pulls and the like. Warlock is also very powerful but due to the nature of DoTs can be a bit tricky to pull good numbers in a dungeon compared to necrolist even though its potential dps is much higher.

For soloing, necro or ele combos typically work pretty well and in addition to that we've now got harb which is the new best leveling soul provided you don't mind melee. As for guides, RiftScene is an up and coming guide site with lots of good information but unfortunately it doesn't yet have many class specific guides so your current go-to for that content will still be these forums. Other sites that may be of interest are as follows:

RiftMead - I think Seatin intended this to be the new guide site but then Qube came along and made RiftScene and I think the two have decided to collaborate rather than compete (I could be entirely wrong about this).

RiftHero - Gear calculators for every class. Being operated by a mage that's definitely the part best kept up to date with a lot of information but the other classes are at least decently represented their and the info is good.

BenStepp - Loot drop info. This site lists every piece of loot dropped in a dungeon or raid and which boss it drops from (supposedly... I haven't personally checked every item but it seems pretty accurate).

Magelo - Database. Items, abilities, soul trees, planar attunement, interactive maps... you name it, Magelo probably has it. My definite go-to site for soul tree calculation and PA planning. Yes, RiftScene now has these too but Magelo does it better.

RiftHead - Used to be Zam's Rift site, just a rename and some updates but same content and provider. While thorough, I've found Zam to be buggy or innacurate more times than Magelo so while I do use this as a reference, just keep in mind that info contained here should probably be double-checked.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

+ Reply to Thread