+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New Mage Soul, WTB what?

Default New Mage Soul, WTB what?

Daglar dropped a hint they are working on new souls for future release. No timetable but still very exciting.

So, enter obligatory what would you like to see post!
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Mage tank.

Champion

Mage tank based upon elemental form or shape changing. Based on absorption and conversion of spellpower into absorption/toughness at higher ranks. At lower ranks, different dps/healing/support forms could be available to complement other souls.

So for me I'm not sure what the souls will actually emphasize, but I want to utilize the underused elements.

Fire: Pyromancer, Elementalist, Archon
    Earth: Archon, Elementalist
    Air: Stormcaller, Harbinger, Elementalist, Dominator
    Water: Stormcaller (and only ice form of water)
    Life: Chloromancer, Harbinger
    Death: Dominator, Warlock, Necromancer

So in a nutshell, I'd like our new soul to emphasise water. Water is my favorite element. We have a water soul that is a healing soul in clerics, it'd be nice to have a water soul that is primarily a DPS soul with maybe some supportive heals added possibly. Actually that would help a lot with mages that Que support and a way to splash heal another mage healer with supportive heals. Anyway, I'm not gonna speculate what it is that it'll do but I really feel that a water soul would be awesome!

I will say, if for some strange reason mage were to get a tanking role, I think earth would fit right up in there for that. I would love to see trion get very creative and see if they could create a mage tank that DOESNT have to be in melee range to actually tank... Maybe with spells somewhat similar to GW2 mage with earth spells like giant AOE tremors, the ability to summon a shield made out of earth, force fields, gravity spells, meteors, etc.

However, again, I'd love water elementalists (hydromancer, tidebringer, wavedancer, etc) to summon cyclones of water, tidal waves, jets of water. Lots of goodies. I think to give it uniqueness make it have the ability to provide some supportive heals, maybe something with more passives that could help out a chloromancer, or go along with with other dps like a stormcaller or whatever. I think several of the passives similar to tactician where it increases by a small amount damage, healing, and a little bit of AOE damage.

TLDR: DPS with supportive heals: Water Elementalist or TANK with earth shields etc as an Earth based soul.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 03-23-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

I want a mage soul that is inspired by the Starcraft Ghost unit. Long range, Invisibility (not the half assed "stealth" harb gets") , EMP/Feedback type ability that damages casters and is an absolute glass cannon.

I think an interesting spin on this would be to let mages use guns or ranged weapons but have them do magic attacks with them, sort of like how Harbinger gets a melee weapon. I have no real interest in melee or mage tanking in general but mage needs something that can do more damage. I always wanted Stormcaller to be this type of class, but it seems they're content to leave it as the worthless step brother of Dominator.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Prophet of Telara

Only one left is a mage tank.

Really awesome ideas guys! Ill be happy with whatever we get im sure,but it is fun to let our minds get together and see if we can come up with something cool. Who knows we might come up with something that has the dev team jumping at to put out there if they know its what most people want.

I think a water tank based on magic resist and blinks would be awesome! Would be great for PVE and PVP. Could lead for some awesome raid encounters in the future.

Warrior: melee tank weakness spell dmg
    Cleric: ranged tank? weakness ? (I dunno burst attacks maybe)
    Rogue: dodge/evasive tank ( i dunno multiple targets maybe)
    Mage: resist/blink tank. Weakness melee dmg
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    So in a nutshell, I'd like our new soul to emphasise water... I will say, if for some strange reason mage were to get a tanking role, I think earth would fit right up in there for that.
    I was thinking about this for about a year.
    I don't have specifics, because that's not really my kinda thing to do, but the basics would go something like this:
    Earth for resistance, HP, shields, threat generation (like the elemental tank pet).
    Water for ice shields, self healing, cleansing, group threat reduction (I hope I don't need to explain the benefit of that).

Would have to be a melee soul as well. Might mix with either chloro or harby.

So... Earth and Water for the mage tank.
    I present you, the MudMage.
    Last edited by meoka2368; 03-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    So... Earth and Water for the mage tank.
    I present you, the MudMage.
    I just imagined two female mudmages duking it in classic MMO female asha katari-like armor.

You know the devs are thinking about it.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 03-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I just imagined two female mudmages duking it in classic MMO female asha katari-like armor.

You know the devs are thinking about it.
    I imagine that the PvP practice areas in Meridian and Sanctum (I assume Sanctum has one) would become more popular.

All I want is a tanking soul called geomancer.

The mage uses elements of earth and maybe fire from the world beneath to summon devastating ranged offensive abilities to get up close and summon solid rock shields to distract the boss.

Ill give this idea up for a life sub to rift :-)
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

MudMage aweomse! I can see the /sh now, "heres Mud in your eye bub!"
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Ascendant

If you think of the elements of mages available from tabletop games, we are really short on shapechange and some other varieties of summons. Sure harb has EA, and the blades have a couple flavors of "stances" but i think a mage focused on alteration is what we are missing.

Stances would be quite literally reshaping your body, the mage turns his skin to stone to tank, lights himself on fire to deal damage(or, since the element is lacking focus already, an ice elemental dealing water damage). His version of tanking is in the flavor of debuffs. Short cooldown attacks might be along the lines of making his enemies weapons lead(wouldnt really be a visual effect but id like the abilities to have that kind of flavor). Nukes and/or DoTs might have names like "destabilize matter".

I realise that ultimately the abilities would probably feel very archon in execution(debuffs that buff you or an ally), and they might not actually be willing to give us a tank option, but a soul focused around single target buffs and debuffs, vs raid buffs and debuffs would be a slightly different flavor, with spiffy new graphics to go with it.

Soul name: Reshaper or Transmuter

Insert summoner from ffxi....

I would like a soul geared specifically towards pvp, focusing on high mobility, cast-on-the-move ranged attacks. Water based could be cool, though air would be a better fit for a high mobility soul imo. We have no real high mobility outside harb with Phantom Blades.

Or a more defensive soul, not full on tank, I don't want a mage tank, but something that gives us more defensive options for pvp and open world pve solo specs that rely more on mitigation and avoidance than self-healing. Something Earth/water based would work well here, maybe alternating between earth for pure mitigation and water for avoidance/absorption. Could also be CC heavy to compliment Dom.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast