+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lanfeara

Thread: Lack of DPS - Help Required

Soulwalker

Default Lack of DPS - Help Required

I recently did a run through the expert version of the Storm Legion and I was hitting around 8-9k DPS on the names, however, one of the group advised me that as a Mage I should be hitting a minimum of 15k DPS against these names and that I was not doing enough.

I have been working hard and I have decent gear, my trousers, chest and rings are all purple and all my other gear is level 60 blue.

I currently play 61 Warlock, 8 Pyro and 7 in necro and I wondered if there is a much better DPS spec out there? I had run this instance earlier when I had just hit 60 and the mage in that group, who had spectacular gear parsing around 9k on the named in that instance, so I did not think I was doing that bad, but clearly I was not doing enough.

Also, what is the best programme to measure DPS? The add on's though Curse are basic and I am not sure how reliable as my friend who I play with has different readings on every fight.

Ascendant

doesn't sound like you need help the person who told you that you should be doing 15 k in an expert with blue gear and a few purples is an idiot or a troll or both

Plane Touched

The addon SuperMeter works quite well for me. If both you and your friend are using the same addon and get different values, make sure you're both using the same (current) version.

Otherwise, I'd say your dps is fine for experts, so dont't worry ;)

Ascendant

some of the bosses in dungeons have bonus damage mechanics. Like on the final boss of exodus, there is a red powerup circle after you destroy one of the blades. He could have just had a misconception on mage dps because he was used to running with people who used the circles for a damage boost.

More likely he was using AoE DPS as a reference.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post
    I recently did a run through the expert version of the Storm Legion and I was hitting around 8-9k DPS on the names, however, one of the group advised me that as a Mage I should be hitting a minimum of 15k DPS against these names and that I was not doing enough.

I have been working hard and I have decent gear, my trousers, chest and rings are all purple and all my other gear is level 60 blue.

I currently play 61 Warlock, 8 Pyro and 7 in necro and I wondered if there is a much better DPS spec out there? I had run this instance earlier when I had just hit 60 and the mage in that group, who had spectacular gear parsing around 9k on the named in that instance, so I did not think I was doing that bad, but clearly I was not doing enough.

Also, what is the best programme to measure DPS? The add on's though Curse are basic and I am not sure how reliable as my friend who I play with has different readings on every fight.
    Could you tell me what your macro is for this build, please?

I wish I could run every expert with fresh 60-geared pulling all 9k dps ...
    Lanfeara@Brisesol

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard60 View Post
    Could you tell me what your macro is for this build, please?
    You're not going to be able to just macro warlock and achieve those numbers. There's a minimum number of buttons that you need to be able to press.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

8-9k is perfectly fine for a fresh 60 in a mix of blues and purples.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Also, you earn extra points for calling them 'trousers'

Love it
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post
    ...I was hitting around 8-9k DPS on the names, however, one of the group advised me that as a Mage I should be hitting a minimum of 15k DPS against these names and that I was not doing enough.
    8-9k ST dps is pretty good for a fresh 60 still wearing some blues. The only reason I could think of for him claiming you weren't doing very well is if there was heavy AoE involved. Lock can be tricky to use for AoE on trash because you'll have to load up a primary target with DoTs before casting Radiate Death and then each mob hit needs to last the full length of the DoTs in order for your dps to actually be decent. I usually switch to Dominator for any trash pull with 4+ mobs but the NecroList spec should also do fairly well and will probably have better AoE dps than a Lock would for expert trash.

Most boss encounters in experts seem to require at least 20k dps to kill which means the 3 dps should be averaging about 6k each and the healer + tank should be doing at least 2k between them. That's about the minimum I would consider for a successful expert. If you can get three dps doing 8k each then you should be able to clear experts fairly easily. A good dps check for experts is the (third?) boss in Unhallowed Boneforge with the green circles and the blue circle and the wisps. If your dps isn't high enough that fight can just drag on and on and on and on and on until enough ppl make mistakes and die that it becomes impossible (boss healing faster than you can dps it back down).
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    A good dps check for experts is the (third?) boss in Unhallowed Boneforge with the green circles and the blue circle and the wisps. If your dps isn't high enough that fight can just drag on and on and on and on and on until enough ppl make mistakes and die that it becomes impossible (boss healing faster than you can dps it back down).
    A perfect example of people interrupting making everyones life easier.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

+ Reply to Thread