• 1 Post By Adria
  • 1 Post By NotTrev
  • 1 Post By LordofBones
  • 1 Post By NotTrev

Thread: Returning Mage

Soulwalker

Default Returning Mage

Hi all, hope you do well.

I got a short question for you. I played some Rift for some months last summer. Had to leave for a while. Last I played I ended up playing the pyro/lock. I never made it to raiding, although I think i just about had the gear for it. I enjoyed this spec quite alot since it also had the aoe that profoundly was needed zergimg the dungeons. Well I was new and I truely enjoyed the world and the feel of the class. I also had a full lock, and I am a sucker for dot classes, but it wasnt as efficient for aoe at the time as pyrolock. Ofcause I played a bit of necro om the side, also fun. The highest ranged dps single target back then was, i belive, a lock variant necro lock mby? Cant Remember exactly and I never really Got into the rotation - did an hour or two on a dummy, but that just wasnt enuff to master it at all. Truely difficult with charge management and a multitude of things and priorities to keep track of.

So for the question - obviously I am gonna level now but i want to get into a spec that later on will do good in raids too. I think that pyrolock is gone from browising the forums briefly. So how about lock variant that is being mentioned in the guide forums? It is good single target, and has to be good multidotting mobs for leveling/questing. How about dungeons? Other suggestions ofc very welcome. Thank you!
    Last edited by Slidt; 03-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Telaran

You should always have more than one set of souls. The first two more are very cheap, so I'm quite sure you won't raid with the same set you level up. Read the guides to get a notion of what's needed, and experiment with the free sets. Then choose the build you like the most. I'm pretty sure nobody will say No to you because of your chosen set, it always depends on what you like to play best, because that's the set you will be very good in. There are no No-Gos in Rift, at least not related to chosen sets. If you like Pyro/Lock, give it a try and surprise us all :-)
    Last edited by Adria; 03-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Both harb and lock translate well from leveling to raid/experts, even if you use chloro as an offsoul, as neither heavily rely on their subsouls.

Soulwalker

Thank you both for your advice. Harbinger is a melee mage right? yeew Nah dont want to go there even thou I saw from parses that it might be the highest of all specs. Nah I am a caster by heart.
    So the choices is between defilemancer or pyrolock I think. Defilemancer has pretty bland aoe i would guess now or is radiate death, and the other spell (cant think of the name) good enuff for dungeons while leveling? I get a feeling that it is somewhat easier to play than pyrolock atm? Oh well guess ill find out and I for sure have to damn study the rotations first. The rotations in this game can be pretty tough lol, love it.
    Last edited by Slidt; 03-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Rift Disciple

Defilemancer and pyrolock aren't viable anymore. Use 61 lock, 7 necro, 8 pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidt View Post
    Thank you both for your advice. Harbinger is a melee mage right? yeew Nah dont want to go there even thou I saw from parses that it might be the highest of all specs. Nah I am a caster by heart.
    So the choices is between defilemancer or pyrolock I think. Defilemancer has pretty bland aoe i would guess now or is radiate death, and the other spell (cant think of the name) good enuff for dungeons while leveling? I get a feeling that it is somewhat easier to play than pyrolock atm? Oh well guess ill find out and I for sure have to damn study the rotations first. The rotations in this game can be pretty tough lol, love it.
    Pyrolock variants are pretty dead, other than 61lock/8pyro/7nec(if you consider that a pyrolock variant). The best specs atm(the specs people tend to take to raids) are 61lock, 44Ele/32Nec(for mobility/targetswitching), 61harb/8pyro/7ele and either 44harb/32pyro or 44/33/2ele(main difference is prime for ease of switching vs LS proc filler). 61lock still has good aoe with radiate + devouring shadows. 44/32 Ele has about the same with the Revenant pet and grave rot. You could probably level with a variant of any of these souls to get the feeling for them but I would say 51+harb/13+chloro is going to be the quickest/easiest leveling spec.

As for melee vs ranged, yea been there. I was dead set against Harb early on too, but I've found I really like it. It's a good change of pace.

Edit: and yea, there are guides for all of these on the forums.
    Last edited by NotTrev; 03-16-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Soulwalker

Thank You, I will proceed trying out said specs.

Check out the Necrolist spec. It is very easy and does pretty decent dps.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...necrolist.html

+ Reply to Thread