+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Maximize Archon DPS

Default Maximize Archon DPS

I am running the 51 Archon / 25 Pyro build and am frustrated with my DPS. I am pulling about 6-7K in raids when I feel like I should be pulling aroun 9K. I have two pieces of raid gear and the Archon crystal and the rest of my gear ranges from BiS rings to a blue dungeon off-hand.

Can anyone provide advice to help me maximize my DPS? I want to be more than a buff bot.
    Processor: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3
    Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    OS Drive: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

Telaran

If you use the build from the Storm Legion Archon Thread in the guide section, and you do not use Fireball very often, and could forgo Burning Purpose, refill the points in Pyromancer and spend 28 there to get Inferno. Since pyro-talents that benefit from combust are too deep in pyromancer, don't skill Improved Fireball and Improved Combustion, take Wildfire instead and Improved Glyphs of Power. Pyro-Build-Suggestion

Champion

I've only been running the 25 pyro variant for about a week but seen some pretty solid results so I can give some tips as to what's worked for me as well as some basic things to watch out for.

Earthen Barrage, Spark Shower, and Volcanic Bomb are good for dps, so use them off cooldown whenever possible. Flame bolt is awesome, make sure your spec has it fully upgraded for the 10% damage. It's the buff that you really want so ideally you don't use it on its 8s cooldown but wait a full 10s instead. The 2s saved is enough to cast something else which does more dps. If your raid is comfortable enough on certain fights, you can use internalize charge for a DPS increase instead of waning power, that will make a pretty big difference. I use IC mostly on our farm fights and save waning for times when healing is rough for specific fights or in general for fights like goloch/crucia/reggy. Countdown is low on my priority list. I think even with 3 combust stacks that your 30s buffs will do enough damage that they take priority from a dps perspective.

During a fight to keep combust stacks up I usually try to cast fireball right after flame bolt though I think that's mostly cause I'm not 100% comfortable with the spec and still let combust fall off sometimes. Casting fireball right after flame bolt will keep the combust stacks up until it's time to refresh the 10s damage buff.

Also I think lots of raids have bards do jeopardy but somehow I've been doing illuminate and can't really be bothered to change tactics after this much raiding. If you're doing illuminate upkeep you really really want to have karuulalerts. Makes things much nicer for a ton of archon skills, but illuminate especially.

If you're having some trouble with the spec try 54 archon/21 pyro with granite salvo spam. Still use flame bolt every 10s but combust stacks are an afterthought. It's much more brainless which means in raids it won't suffer much from dps loss and you don't have to worry about messing things up at all. I think before I got my relic staff I was doing 8.5-9 all the time with the 54 archon.
    Last edited by MonkeysUncle; 03-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adria View Post
    If you use the build from the Storm Legion Archon Thread in the guide section, and you do not use Fireball very often, and could forgo Burning Purpose, refill the points in Pyromancer and spend 28 there to get Inferno. Since pyro-talents that benefit from combust are too deep in pyromancer, don't skill Improved Fireball and Improved Combustion, take Wildfire instead and Improved Glyphs of Power. Pyro-Build-Suggestion
    Do not forgo Burning Purpose for any reason, it is an imperative raid buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Adria View Post
    What TheGrinnz said.

Do not forgo Burning Purpose for any reason, it is an imperative raid buff.

Before you get the 4pc raid set bonus, use a 51/25 Arch/Pyro build. After you get the 4pc raid set bonus, switch to a 54/22 Arch/Pyro build. Keep Cinder Burst and Pyromancer's Armor in both builds and everything else should be pretty easy to figure out. The main difference on the Pyro side between the two is that 25 Pyro should make both Fireball and Flame Bolt have a 100% chance to proc combust whereas 22 Pyro should ignore that since they will be spamming GS rather than Fireball and won't have enough points for Flame Bolt improvement.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

I have gotten some decent Archoning experience in my 6 months of playing it since I started raiding, and there is no competitive DPS in it. With the Auras and all the little things you throw up to help your raid, you don't have time to throw the good nukes at things. I'm always interrupting or Mana Wretching or using some other ability I have. But I do, however, break the DPS requirement of my guild (which is currently 7k DPS). I use the basic Archon crystal with the four piece bonus which is nice since my normal spell power is low. I run 61 Archon 15 Dominator, and with all the little things I have there is no time for DPS. Just do what you do as a raid support and, if you are doing it right, your DPS should be over the limit for the fact that you are buffing your allies, giving them about an extra 500 DPS each. That's how I think of it, but whatever.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Shield of Telara

I use a 58arch, 12 pyro, 6 harb build and get 10.3k on raid dummy 5min parse using 160sp glyph and pyro 70int buff. 4pc raid crystal (2 raid pieces +2pvp pieces) 6112sp, 1965sc, 645cp while actually fighting, (that includes the 225sp proc buff ect) Not debuffing mob at all using crumbling resistance which would obviously make things much higher. To top it off it's a 1 button dps macro. Granite Salvo hits like a truck. Technically 2 macros, one with and one without the power drain toggle. Use the other if you need to save up charge for flaring power or a timed power drain on a big hit. Drain adds another ~15% dmg from burning purpose procs

#show Granite Salvo
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Power Drain
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Spark Shower
    cast Granite Salvo
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Countdown
    cast Blazing Light
    cast [notactive] Power Drain
    Last edited by vexare; 03-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Shadowlander

51 Archon / 25 harb is a must have for all melee friendly fights. I'm pulling 12k dps on matriarche. Keep the PyroArchon also you will need it for a lot of fights not melee friendly, usually pulling 9k with it if I don't have a lot of purge / dispell to do.
    You will also need a 61 archon for regulos and a domi variant for crucia, usually pulling 7-8k dps with those specs.

You need Point to Point for Regulos? I currently use the Crucia variant (61 Archon 15 Dominator)
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    You need Point to Point for Regulos? I currently use the Crucia variant (61 Archon 15 Dominator)
    No, you don't need point-to-point for Regulos. Some guilds have used it, most don't.

Well my guild is very far off so I'll worry about it when the time comes. But I have pugged into Crucia so I need that build.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    Well my guild is very far off so I'll worry about it when the time comes. But I have pugged into Crucia so I need that build.
    Crucia doesn't need a dedicated drainer anymore unless you're on progression and tanks are dying. Mechs can keep her low enough through that phase that it's not too bad and final phase it doesn't really affect anything to leave her with mana. I used the dom variant during progression but once we had her down I dropped that spec and went back to the pyro variant.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

I don't NEED it but the few times I have pugged into Crucia, it was progression so it was hellish, so the extra Mana Wretch was handy. Also I use it on pretty much anything with mana that hits things.

the easiest spec with the most dps is 58-18 pyro and keep the improved flamebolt buff 100%
    no downtime no ramps high durability and huge dps
    not as much as the occasional 50k+ cb but its close

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    the easiest spec with the most dps is 58-18 pyro and keep the improved flamebolt buff 100%
    no downtime no ramps high durability and huge dps
    not as much as the occasional 50k+ cb but its close
    Easiest maybe, but the Archonbinger spec is very easy to play also. Just spam melee macro until you have a proc then use the archon macro twice because hardcasting a second time a spell in the macro is better dps output than switching back to melee macro. No downtime of buff except in very rare case if you need to dispell / stunt ... and if you watch your buffs you will be able to know it and prevent it to happens. You don't have to monitor flamebolt and the dps is 2-3k higher than pyro subspec.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast