+ Reply to Thread

Thread: melee

Soulwalker

Default melee

I found that a few bosses in exerts are very hard for melee users... for a Mage would it just be better to stay ranged? Or learn the mechanics alittle better ...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by liezia View Post
    I found that a few bosses in exerts are very hard for melee users... for a Mage would it just be better to stay ranged? Or learn the mechanics alittle better ...
    Ranged are generally easier (this goes true for all classes).
    I guess that why Trion gave each and every single classes in Rift a ranged spec.

Quote Originally Posted by liezia View Post
    There are some fights that are difficult, and some you outright can't do without cooperation from a tank.

Example, first boss of Archive of Flesh is completely meleeable if your tank moves to the edge of shrapnel range where both him and any melee don't get debuffed but the boss still does. I was playing Riftblade and my tank refused to move the boss to the edge of the shrapnel explosions, insisting that he must soak the shrapnel with it and getting debuffed in the process(this would 1shot me with 3 stacks or so). So I pretty much sat on my hands, did near nothing.

The third boss(spear lady with the pedastals) takes watching the pattern at the bosses feet to know where the blue orbs come out and where it's safe to stand. You'll also need to quickly and accurately jump out from the middle onto a pedastal. Both of these can be more difficult for some players, but getting used to them it becomes second nature.

It's my personal opinion that if you want to get good at melee, specifically a certain melee spec, you should try to play it in every encounter and as much as possible; not just encounters you think are "easy" on melee. Many fights are not "melee friendly" but with good positioning and the tools at your disposal it's very easy to keep very high melee uptime without losing much damage, which typically leads to higher output than a ranged spec. 61Harb is especially forgiving with phantom blades.

tldr: Practice and persistence makes perfect(or close to it), melee specs have higher avg dps for a reason; play well and you will see this.

+ Reply to Thread