+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What is best Mage PVP build?

Soulwalker

Default What is best Mage PVP build?

I played for about 6 months when Rift first came out. I quit for a while and came back. I am so lost now lol. I would like to know what is the absolute best mage (caster they they are supposed to be) build for pvp. I am following Valeryy's build for pve as 61 Warlock, but want to know what comes close to being or is the best build for pvp. If you can please give specific answers and soul tree build calculator links. Thanks bunches

Any spec that involves turning your enemies into your furry little friends... But they end up going after your nuts so you throw fireballs at them with an urgent quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    Any spec that involves turning your enemies into your furry little friends... But they end up going after your nuts so you throw fireballs at them with an urgent quickness.
    I so agree, and add on a raid-wide reflect for those nasty aoe spam rogues, and watch em blow themselves up.
    ~Wardova, found at a rift near you since 2011~ ~Wardiva, also adventuring in Telara since 2015~

Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post

^^^ He's talking about Pyro/Dom^^^ Pyro/dom is a lot of fun and does pretty decent dmg. Look on the guide section for a pyro/dom guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dayzed View Post
    ^^^ He's talking about Pyro/Dom^^^ Pyro/dom is a lot of fun and does pretty decent dmg. Look on the guide section for a pyro/dom guide.
    I don't like that Pyrodom build, I believe you have to build it like a pure DPS spec to have any success with it now. if I had the 4pc Warlord in pvp this is what i would run, w/ Dom crystal. It's pretty much what I use now, minus the points in the split personality talents. You get a 30% SP modifier and 10% Int. I personally don't find combust, or flame volley very useful in pvp.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...Gg/iE8Fhh0E/S8

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

44 ele 32 necro is what i use having a pet that has 30k life and crts for 7k is very fun and satisfying

Rift Chaser

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...liGyEw/hgkBM/G
    is on of my favorite for killing ppl. down side is if pet drops you are in trouble and there are some problems with last grasp keeping you in combat but it is a really fun class to play.

common misconception about pvp is you need to do massive amount of damage to be good
    its simply not true, its all about putting the right skill in the right place at the right time

...and not getting caught
    who took my names!

61harb/11pyro is amazing.
    Lanfeara@Brisesol

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    common misconception about pvp is you need to do massive amount of damage to be good
    its simply not true, its all about putting the right skill in the right place at the right time

...and not getting caught
    Like robbing a bank, except instead of a bank it's a player and instead of money it's HP.

The best offensive mage class is Harbinger.

The most awesome however is 61 necromancer <3 (even if its kind of mediocre- the best mage specs are Harbinger(kbs), Chloromancer(healing), and Dominator(total dmg/utility) in general)

Here are some neat tips/cautionary advice for this magical class:

-Playing necromancer tends to be a committment at times. Why? Last Gasp. Its sort of a double edged sword- it stacks up as an enemy gets healing and will keep going as long as they don't die, don't get heals or is cleansed off (doesn't go away if you die either). This is great for hitting hit and run players, but it also procs damage shields constantly, the damage is annoying, but more annoying is that it can keep you in combat at times (as do other dots)- so no role changing, no out of combat potions, and occassionally if you have enough last gasps up it makes mounting a pain too. On the other hand other necros who see you in necro know you mean business. ;)

-Its hard to place the role of necro, its a decent class, and good at total dmg (sort of the stat you go for), just not as good as dom. It gets slightly more kbs on average, but its not kb focused, and usually kbs have a feeling of RNG. I would say the best role of necromancer is to break frontlines in group combat, its sustained pressure on cooldowns really helps overwhelm or distract key targets and gain momentum for your team. Also the pet nature makes it good at line of sight strategies.

-Feign Death is way more useful than you'd expect. It detargets attackers- although if you are the only target they will just retarget you really quick, its great in group though. It also detargets attackers from your pet, and despawns them and ports them to you. This is huge for managing your pet's health, because soul purge on its own is kind of meh (decent for pets, useless for self heals). Also it let's you redirect your empty the crypts and mass graves cooldowns, after you feign death you can have them reattack another player, which is useful if you've accidentally blown your cds on someone who is good at kiting/running away.

-If someone IS outrunning your minions, you are kind of low on options to cc them, you have one small snare. One strategy is to rift tomb them, and let your pets catch up, then you can manually click off the prison buff so your minions don't waste their precious uptime hitting the shield.

-Corpse exploision is great for tagging enemies before they die when they are nearby other people- it will both hit them and spread it to them. Its an awesome feeling when they start chaining in heavy group combat.

-be sure to add petattack to your macros, and I personally prefer the mage pet, the others are too kiteable and makes it harder to do stuff like attack from the rocks in codex because they have to go all the way around. Plus its just more dmg in general, just squishier.

-Possession is a great aoe cooldown, and can also double as pet management by despawning your pet- it will still take lingering dmg though so be careful it doesn't put you in a position that you can't heal it.

-Swarm of Spiders (the trinket) is the official necromancer trolling ability- similar to rune of the sea squall for stormcallers. Be sure to have it on your hotkeys and your real trinket to switch back in. Extra points for blowing all of your cds with it (so.. 11 pets in all. 12 if you summoned a gravemaker companion pet to confuse people with your parasite like a pro)
    Last edited by Inixia; 03-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.

I would take the 2 pc storm caller crystal over the dom crystal if you're not going to spec into durable control.

I've been playing around with multiple versions of pyrodom. I have a solid grasp on the playstyle which believe it or not is more than jst fireballs.

I'm using these two builds atm.

AOE/Troll focused: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcaNlgci...drzvxcfhz0covL
    ST/Troll (Classic Build): http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcaNdxcV...Iz0ckcxq0zvV0M

With the aoe build you'll notice I have 4 pts in warlock. This is for 2 things. More charge gain for Arresting presence and Internalized charge. Both of these are super important as spaming an aoe silence will eventually catch a healer wasting his cc break cds.

You also get Dark Armor and coupled with Charged Shield you will cause some good passive backlash. Make sure you macro RC -> Burning Shield -> Rune Shield -> Dark armor for an Ohsh*t button. Will have to manually Reapply Pyromancer's Armor when you are setting up for ST burst.

Are you a good enough player to just spam one macro?

If so, look up the LEETmentalist guide. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table except an awful name, an awful macro and the ability to top KBS with zero skill involved. You lose IQ points just speccing into it.

Kervik really pigeon holed the synergy with the AoE souls by the gifts he chose to give them. (this is mainly for PvP)

It is either Pyro/harb/lock/archon Dom/SC Ele/Necro or Chloro obviously some can coexist with one another but it is rare. Mixing cross soul gifts usually doesn't work well.

When you look at the tactician soul for rogues, it gets a strait up DPS increase.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Are you a good enough player to just spam one macro?

If so, look up the LEETmentalist guide. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table except an awful name, an awful macro and the ability to top KBS with zero skill involved. You lose IQ points just speccing into it.
    yeah gave that spec a go this morning and it is hilariously effective. only thing i changed is i took 0pt dom instead of pyro. neural is still a spammable instant and you get the squirrel

it's the only ranged st damage spec i've found that is actually stronk
    Last edited by fD123; 03-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast