+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dominator AOE vs. Stormcaller AOE

Telaran

Default Dominator AOE vs. Stormcaller AOE

Pre-Storm Legion I really enjoyed playing the SC spec. And I've come to identify with being an AoE mage. Since SL has come out I've been messing around, leveling, not really doing dungeons. But I'd like to start again.

I can see that both Dominator and Stormcaller are AoE specs. Is one more viable then other other? Could anyone elaborate briefly on what one is better at over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TopazDragon View Post
    Pre-Storm Legion I really enjoyed playing the SC spec. And I've come to identify with being an AoE mage. Since SL has come out I've been messing around, leveling, not really doing dungeons. But I'd like to start again.

I can see that both Dominator and Stormcaller are AoE specs. Is one more viable then other other? Could anyone elaborate briefly on what one is better at over the other?
    Trion killed stormcaller and it is completely terrible =( Dom the one spec that was supposed to be about Controll and mana/energy draining is now the Top mage AOE spec

Rift Chaser

Dominator = Burst-AoE, Stormcaller = sustained AoE

Since most encounters in SL require no sustained AoE dmg and other souls like Tactician, Sab, Champ and Cab can do the job WAY better, Stormcaller is an unviable, dead soul.

Dominator instead has a huge burst and great utility skills, like squirrel, spell reflect, mana drain, etc.

Honestly, the difference in dps between Dom and SC in sustained aoe (given ideal circumstances) isn't *that* different, which is part of the issue. SC does have better single target dps, but Dom has utility galore while stormcaller has... Static Discharge - one of the few abilities left in the game that still only effects a single group even in a raid setting.

Not even sure if Dom ST dps is less than SC to be honest. Only a very biased observation with no real testing, but Dom doing 12k on a single trash mob over a few minutes without using Mass Betrayal seemed decent. I guess I should test these things out in detail xD

As for sustained AoE versus burst AoE... eh

You could say Dom has burst but no sustained. But the burst is so uber, it seems to more than make up and hence have good sustained too! Of course this is just a gut feeling, I would need to go on PTS dummies to actually see the facts.

Still wanting to buy no cooldown on Lightning Arc lol

I'm really interested to see where Kervik takes Stormcaller. If it were me designing, it would become a St/AoE hybrid soul, where spending 61 points makes it a truely good AoE soul (like it is now), but spending a more hybridised mix of points like with Harbinger to be a very capable ST spec.

Note just because Stormcaller can be a capable hybrid ST spec doesn't mean it will go back to be like the old imbalanced ST specs being able to AoE too good (like Champion used to be).

With the way Electrified works, and needing to consume it to do any real nasty AoE damage a SCbinger would have to severely gimp its ST damage by using Lightning Field rotations, which wouldn't even be worth it without a lot of targets(i.e. bad for cleaving). Lightning Storm and Lucent Slash won't really put it much ahead of Riftblade (would probably yeild slightly more AoE, less ST if balanced as a ST spec). Hailstorm is really the decider though in whether a competitive ST scbinger is simply doing too much AoE damage to be balanced. Could move it up in the tree if SC is changed!
    Last edited by Soul sky; 03-03-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    Not even sure if Dom ST dps is less than SC to be honest. Only a very biased observation with no real testing, but Dom doing 12k on a single trash mob over a few minutes without using Mass Betrayal seemed decent.
    The catch being that Dom requires the mob to be stationary to stand on Void/Lightning walls. If there's much movement of the mob(s), you'll see Dom's st (and aoe) drop substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovack View Post
    The catch being that Dom requires the mob to be stationary to stand on Void/Lightning walls. If there's much movement of the mob(s), you'll see Dom's st (and aoe) drop substantially.
    Made up by applying Storm Shackle.

Plane Walker

The only remaining cool thing about stormcaller is it has better cleaving AEs than Dominator (Dominator has better ground AEs) and cleaving AEs work with Fury of the Ascended. So SC is great for blowing up invasions. but that's not a very big part of the game, it doesn't merit a role slot for me anymore when other souls do 'good enough' vs invasions.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Made up by applying Storm Shackle.
    Not when, as our illustrious guild leader cleric tank has done so many times, he pulls the mobs out of the void wall and then stops.

But I digress.

I don't think stormcaller in pve is as bad as people suppose if you work it right it has pretty decent burst, even if its more balanced around more long term aoe which never comes into play. But it could still use a boost, because it still falls slightly behind dominator with more effort, and doesn't really end up having much of a place in common raid environments. In pvp its terrible though, and I would really love to see a defensive rework along with the dmg boost- this is its biggest holdup imo, there is just too much time devoted to (cleansable) setup and burnoffs, and no way to keep people in range. Add to it, very low single target dmg in pvp, and very little defensive viability and it starts to look pretty bleak.
    Last edited by Inixia; 03-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovack View Post
    Not when, as our illustrious guild leader cleric tank has done so many times, he pulls the mobs out of the void wall and then stops.

But I digress.
    The key thing with stormshackle is to have around ~8-10 charge.

Rotation: Storm Shackle (on CCable mob) > thunderblast > rift tomb As the mob runs back, the tank usually goes "WHO THE **** DID THAT KNOCK BACK" and meets the knocked back mob half way. You can usually get about 2 SS ticks off with this method.

The other method is to do thunderblast > rift tomb (at 8-10 charge) on a CC able mob and Storm Shackle a different "non CCable" mob. The tank gets pissed and runs to the rift tombed mob bringing all the adds with it. SS will tick 2-3 times with this method also.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzz View Post

Rotation: Storm Shackle (on CCable mob) > thunderblast > rift tomb As the mob runs back, the tank usually goes "WHO THE **** DID THAT KNOCK BACK" and meets the knocked back mob half way. You can usually get about 2 SS ticks off with this method.

The other method is to do thunderblast > rift tomb (at 8-10 charge) on a CC able mob and Storm Shackle a different "non CCable" mob. The tank gets pissed and runs to the rift tombed mob bringing all the adds with it. SS will tick 2-3 times with this method also.
    Or tell the tank "Run around in the fire!"

Storm Shackle (on CCable mob) > thunderblast > rift tomb As the mob runs back, the tank usually goes "WHO THE **** DID THAT KNOCK BACK" and meets the knocked back mob half way.
    As main tank, this is why I drink gin on raid nights. F-ing knockbacks.
    Last edited by Redius; 03-04-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

I'm smelling a case of "tanks need to l2p"

Just like dps needs to know how tanks work and healers need to know how dps works and everything else in between, so too should tanks learn how dps and healers work. If you're a tank and you notice that you have a dominator in your raid group, just know that their standard rotation includes some abilities that require either closely stacked mobs or for mobs to move or to not move and adjust accordingly. If you see a void wall pop on the ground, don't carry the mobs off of it... keep them all right on that nicely glowing curve of a line that is the damaging edge of the ability. If you see a big blue rectangle on the ground, move as many mobs as possible into it. If you see a slowly moving ball of lightning drifting your way, position the mobs in it's path or better yet drag them along with the nyx's orb. If you see a swirling black circle and want to slow some mobs then drag them through it. If you see a mob get knocked back, wait to see which direction it goes... if it comes back towards you then just wait for it or if you can hit it from range then do that if you think you may lose agro on it. Also remember that the dominator interrupt has a knockback built into it and the knockback may be unintentional.

tl;dr - tanks need to learn how other classes/souls work and how to utilize their strengths and weaknesses effectively. It's part of being a good tank.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

You should create a macro that announces "Storm Shackle On. Tank Drag Mobs".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast