+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coming back, requesting advice

Soulwalker

Default Coming back, requesting advice

Hello there!

Long time ago i quit rift (was about the time of the first death/shadow event). Back then i had a level 50 mage.
    I am now planning to come back and see if i intend to stay, but since a lot has changed since then, i wanted to ask for an advice:

1) What builds would you recommend for my mage?
    Specifically i need two builds:

First tto be able to solo stuff properly. Im talking questing, farming, exploring, etc. It needs to be able to kill stuff without dying myself

Second, a spec (or specs) to use for dungeons/group play / etc - i.e. cookie cutters, etc

Reason im asking it here is because there are so many different builds out there i get lost easily. if you can forward me to the ones that are "correct" for what im looking, i would mighty appreciate it

2) Any general tips overall? obviously i dont remember much since i quit but maybe there are some easy ways for me to get back on track? My mage was 50 when i quit & i dont want to abandon her (she had mounts, pets, achievements, etc). On the other hand i might need to start a new char just to relearn the basics?
    Last edited by Erada; 02-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.

See Harb/Chloro in my sig for a level 50-60 questing build. For general DPS in groups, try Necrolist or similar Elementalist based builds in the Mage Guides section, they're quite simple. 61 Warlock is good as well and not much more complex. And 61 Chloro for healing.

Everyone pretty much had to relearn most things when SL came out, leveling a fresh character might help but other than rolling a different class, there's not much you will gain that you can't get on your level 50.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    See Harb/Chloro in my sig for a level 50-60 questing build. For general DPS in groups, try Necrolist or similar Elementalist based builds in the Mage Guides section, they're quite simple. 61 Warlock is good as well and not much more complex. And 61 Chloro for healing.

Everyone pretty much had to relearn most things when SL came out, leveling a fresh character might help but other than rolling a different class, there's not much you will gain that you can't get on your level 50.
    Is there any non-harbinger leveling spec out there? i dont plan on being melee at 60, so might as well level using a similar spec

Also, can you give me any average numbers to see whether my dps is normal or low/high? Just something to compare my performance with, during leveling and at 60. Im not talking epeen boosting, im talking i dont know if i should be doing 10 dps or 100 or 10000.
    Last edited by Erada; 02-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Erada View Post
    Is there any non-harbinger leveling spec out there? i dont plan on being melee at 60, so might as well level using a similar spec

Also, can you give me any average numbers to see whether my dps is normal or low/high? Just something to compare my performance with, during leveling and at 60. Im not talking epeen boosting, im talking i dont know if i should be doing 10 dps or 100 or 10000.
    most people use either a pet spec to level or a chloro hybrid of some sort. if you don't want a pet, pick any soul and combine it with 8+pts in chloro.

as far as dps is concerned, at 50 you should be able to pull 2k-4k on a boss depending on gear. this should slowly increase to 4-7k when you first hit 60.
    (these are rough, rough estimates BTW)
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    most people use either a pet spec to level or a chloro hybrid of some sort. if you don't want a pet, pick any soul and combine it with 8+pts in chloro.

as far as dps is concerned, at 50 you should be able to pull 2k-4k on a boss depending on gear. this should slowly increase to 4-7k when you first hit 60.
    (these are rough, rough estimates BTW)
    Im perfectly fine with pet leveling. What i meant was i dont want to be a melee mage 50-60 only to switch to ranged mage at 60 and need to re-learn everything. Chloro + pet sounds fine, what would you recommend?

And in regards to dps, its just so i have the very basic idea what to expect. So if im pulling say 2k dps at 60 i want to know if thats "average" or "dude are you even playing?"

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Erada View Post
    Im perfectly fine with pet leveling. What i meant was i dont want to be a melee mage 50-60 only to switch to ranged mage at 60 and need to re-learn everything. Chloro + pet sounds fine, what would you recommend?

And in regards to dps, its just so i have the very basic idea what to expect. So if im pulling say 2k dps at 60 i want to know if thats "average" or "dude are you even playing?"
    2k dps at 60 would definitely fall into the wtf category. a fresh 60 should do at least double that single target

if you level with a pet having points in chloro isn't really necessary, just use the tank pet. i would just start with 51ele/15necro at level 50, and add points until 61ele/15necro at 60. that spec will also work for dungeon dps as well.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    2k dps at 60 would definitely fall into the wtf category. a fresh 60 should do at least double that single target

if you level with a pet having points in chloro isn't really necessary, just use the tank pet. i would just start with 51ele/15necro at level 50, and add points until 61ele/15necro at 60. that spec will also work for dungeon dps as well.
    Could you please give me an explanation or a link to what talents to use / what rotation to use / etc? Would appreciate it

Shield of Telara

61ele/15necro guide

level 50 build
    use the guide for macros, cd's, etc. just take out the abilities you don't have yet
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

I would suggest giving Harbinger a try anyway, it is a very fun soul and is our top DPS in raids -- you have five other role slots to use for non-melee
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-28-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    I would suggest giving Harbinger a try anyway, it is a very fun soul and is our top DPS in raids -- you have five other role slots to use for non-melee
    I'ma +1 that. I hate being melee pretty much any time I'm doing something where other people are involved (I hate chasing mobs that some tank or aoe is backing 1/2 way across the map).

That said, Chlorbinger is far and away the smoothest ride to 60. The fecal matter would really have to hit the rotary impeller for a chlorbinger to even THINK about dieing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolius View Post
    I'ma +1 that. I hate being melee pretty much any time I'm doing something where other people are involved (I hate chasing mobs that some tank or aoe is backing 1/2 way across the map).

That said, Chlorbinger is far and away the smoothest ride to 60. The fecal matter would really have to hit the rotary impeller for a chlorbinger to even THINK about dieing.
    Just for clarification for the OP, Harbinger is our top DPS but not combined with Chloro, that's strictly a soloing/support healing build. Second-top DPS build is 61 Harb http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#h8Q/SkFlaBllaGy/iJ2, there's guides of it around. (Top is still Pyro/Harb hybrid I think)
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 03-01-2013 at 09:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread