+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage stats clarification

Telaran

Default Mage stats clarification

Someone please answer the following questions - as math-stupid-mages(like me) look sometimes after reading boards, but willing to learn.

1) "Intelligence Gives 0.75 Spell Power and 0.5 Crit" (0,5 Crit is = SC ?)

2) Spellcrit is stat used to determine if you crit or not with your spell, the more SC the higher procentage chance to the spell to crit ? (and no dont get into a long talk about you dont wanna stack SC ect....thats not the question asked here)

3) where as critpower is: IF your spell crits, CP determins for how much you crit ?
    - and this crit damage is added to your base damage/healing?
    - base damage/healing being determined by SP ?)

Now assuming the above is correct - then comes the part that really puzzles me:

1) //The Spell Power Coefficient, is how much spell power contributes to overall damage.
    It can be found by measuring the change in tooltip damage for two different spell power values, sp1 and sp2.

(SP1AverageDamage + SP2AverageDamage) / (SP2Value - SP1Value))
    From then we can work out the BaseAverageDamage of a spell by using the SP Coefficient and working backwards with this formula

AverageDamage = BaseAverageDamage + (SP * SPCoeff)
    ~ BaseAverageDamage = AverageDamage - (SP * SPCoeff)//

what ?how? I need numbers please...
    1.1) sp1 and sp2....ok so lets take Vile Spores...with me being naked....Min 941 dam and max 1040 dam: then what ? X= SP coefficient
    x=1040-941
    x=99?
    And this part is just (?) since not getting the above: AverageDamage = BaseAverageDamage + (SP * SPCoeff)
    ~ BaseAverageDamage = AverageDamage - (SP * SPCoeff)

Please use the min/max dam provided and add them into formula. Current SP is 149 (increase 29.8 dam per sec)

2) Let me understand the above first, maybe that will provide rest of the answers....

/Ava (yes they were sold out on the book "math for dummies" so figured someone here could help me out)

Telaran

"Average change in damage
    /
    Average change in SP

((SPMaxDamageValue2 - SPMaxDamageValue1) + (SPMinDamageValue2 - SPMinDamageValue1) / 2)
    /
    (SP2Value - SP1Value)"

so...
    SP naked 152, SP 1 item 218
    Spell naked: 942min, 1041max
    Spell item: 966min, 1068max

((1068-1041) + (966-942) /2) / (218-152)
    ((27+24)/2) / 66
    (51/2)/66
    25,5/66=0,3864

Also: Average change in damage (25,5) / Average change in SP (66)

Am i getting any closer to solving the puzzle ?

Telaran

So IF i found the correct "Spell Power Coefficient" (how much spell power contributes to overall damage as in "the ratio of change per point of spell power" this translates into:

adding 1 sp adds 0,3864 dam to the spell ?

Then next:

AverageDamage = BaseAverageDamage + (SP * SPCoeff) ~ BaseAverageDamage = AverageDamage - (SP * SPCoeff)

1 word: HELP!

The coefficient idea is right, but differs by spell. And this is when it becomes interesting to find out the impact on DPS, as it then needs to be adjusted by the effective time the spell takes. As cast time and GCD depend on the build, the value of spell power to your DPS depends on the build and the rotation you use.

The good new though is that the coefficient you are calculating depends on the spell, and not on its cast time. That means that you don't need to be in a raiding situation in order to calculate the impact in raiding situation. For that, you just need to find out the impact of your SP in general on the spells you use in your rotation, and then adjust that to the final "cast time". I write "cast time" because what you want to find out is the time during which you will be unable to cast another spell (some spells cast times drop below the GCD in raid situation).

Now, the good news:
    - Someone has done those calculations for the usual builds to calculate a ratio of value per point of spell crit, crit power, int, wis, and spell power based on common raid equipment now and common builds. I don't have a bookmark to that on this computer, but you might find a link in the mage guides forum.
    - Spell crit and spell power have a simpler impact as a percentage of your DPS, although they are linked with each other.

Spell crit increases your % chance of a crit. Some builds have additional impact. All spell crits will add the same proportion of damage to the normal damage (50% plus whatever bonus granted by crit power).
    Crit power affects by a fixed percentage the increase in damage you get from crits.

Other than burning fury, that has a bit of a weird effect on your crit chance, spell crit and crit power (combined) translate into a fixed percentage increase in your damage, and their respective value is not that hard to come up with, based on each other's value (affected by possible crit bonus from your build).

I'm not really into doing the calculations myself, but I hope this helps, and once again, there is a doc out there that already has the calculation done based on a number of common builds and average 2.1 equipment (for raiders with better equipment than me).

If I made a big mistake, no doubt someone is going to flame me, so you'll know soon ;)
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nirrana View Post
    Please use the min/max dam provided and add them into formula. Current SP is 149 (increase 29.8 dam per sec)
    2) Let me understand the above first, maybe that will provide rest of the answers....
    Ok we'll start with this. Like you said, you're just trying to figure out the Spell Power Coefficient for now.

Working with this formula:
    (SP1AverageDamage + SP2AverageDamage) / (SP2Value - SP1Value))

Vile Spores
    149 SP, 941 - 1040 damage

So far you only have SP1AverageDamage ((941+1040)/2) and SP1Value.
    You need to put on a piece of gear (nowadays I just add the seal) and then get a new SP value and a new Average Damage.

So for instance, say you add a seal and it adds 80 SP. Your SP2Value is 229.
    Your Vile Spores should do around 985 - 1085 with this new SP.

From there you have all the numbers to plug into the SP Coefficient formula.

Now you made me think... just realised I've only done the stat weights for a tank healing 61 Chloro... not raid healing
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Telaran

First off - Thank you for replying! /hugs
    And thank you for all the work done Archyface - already using it and as you can see, im trying to figure out the math behind aswell to get a deeper understanding for it all.

Ok, so i managed to figure out the SP Coefficient,
    SP naked 152, SP 1 item 218
    Spell naked: 942min, 1041max
    Spell item: 966min, 1068max

((1068-1041) + (966-942) /2) / (218-152)
    ((27+24)/2) / 66
    (51/2)/66
    25,5/66=0,3864

Also: Average change in damage (25,5) / Average change in SP (66), but im still not sure about next step:

If i understand it correct, this formula now is used to find out how much damage will be added to the spell by equiping 66 extra sp - the increase in your averagedamage of this spell by adding 66 sp (yes ?)

So i know SP=66, and SPcoeff=0,3864 - so im missing the 3rd now to find the 4th ?
    I still unsure of what AverageDamage and the BaseAverageDamage

Can you help me out with this part aswell ?

Ascendant

Next you have to work out the base average damage of the spell (i.e. how much would the tooltip say if you had no Spell Power at all)

Using this formula

So you already have the data for one point you specified before
    You just worked out the SP Coeff: 0.3864
    and when you had 218 SP, your averagedamage was (1068+966)/2

BaseAverageDamage:
    1017 - (218 * 0.3864) = 932.8.

You can kind of gather this number is correct, as it's lower than your average damage at 152 SP (which was 942 - 1041)

So now with your BaseAverageDamage you can do anything! At least for Vile Spores

AverageDamage = 932.8 + (SP * 0.3864)

For any amount of spell power, you can calculate what the tooltip will say (well an average of the two numbers anyway)
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Telaran

Thank you

I havnt had a chance to look more into this since my last post - but hoping to have time by monday again. Lots of hugs for your help and for the work youve done

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nirrana View Post
    Thank you

I havnt had a chance to look more into this since my last post - but hoping to have time by monday again. Lots of hugs for your help and for the work youve done
    I'm glad I have until Monday then. Because by then I'll be at work and I'll more regularly browse the forums

+ Reply to Thread