+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage run and cast no longer?

Soulwalker

Default Mage run and cast no longer?

I haven't played in awhile and I returned. But I made a mage and you can't run and cast at the same time anymore?

You never could, except for instant cast spells.
    Ortoun 60 Warrior Tank 4/4 TDQ 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 1/4 HM Shatterbone
    Lewin 50 Rogue retired alt/craft bot

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lewin View Post
    You never could, except for instant cast spells.
    Oooooh. Okay. I couldn't remember if they allowed fireball spells to be casted running around or if you had to stand still and cast. Would be nice to be able to run around and cast.

Ascendant

mages have never been able to run and cast, we can only use instant spells while moving
    Last edited by Glamour; 02-25-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: thats why u should refresh the page before replying!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Bontemaru View Post
    I haven't played in awhile and I returned. But I made a mage and you can't run and cast at the same time anymore?
    I think you logged back into the wrong game. What you mean is GW2.

Plane Walker

I want to run and cast spells..while melee'ing, tanking and healing myself..as a mage plzthx.

You probably quit Rift to play GW2 or something.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

That aspect of GW2's combat system was fun.
    By no means do I suggest it is 'right' for Rift, but it was fun. The ability to be constantly mobile as you played made combat far more interesting.

IMO: Rift could possibly be viable with a 'move as you cast' mechanic in place, but it would need to be substantially retuned. Something along the lines of a combination of allocating a greater percentage of dps to abilities that you had to stand still and channel as cooldowns, while reducing the percentage of dps from 'autoattack' style spells (voidbolt, fireball, etc) and allowing only those 'autoattack' style spells to be cast on the move. However, even as I type this, it occurs to me that simply changing the dps allocation as described and making voidbolt/fireball/etc instant cast could produce a similar effect. I'm also wondering if they'd be capable of making spells designed such that they were instant cast BUT not capable of being cast while moving. Even something as silly as a .01second cast time (rendering the spell not really 'instant' but essentially so, however still preventing its cast while in full sprint).

Forgive the stream of consciousness ravings. Rift as-is is likely just fine.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Crovack View Post
    That aspect of GW2's combat system was fun.
    By no means do I suggest it is 'right' for Rift, but it was fun. The ability to be constantly mobile as you played made combat far more interesting.

IMO: Rift could possibly be viable with a 'move as you cast' mechanic in place, but it would need to be substantially retuned. Something along the lines of a combination of allocating a greater percentage of dps to abilities that you had to stand still and channel as cooldowns, while reducing the percentage of dps from 'autoattack' style spells (voidbolt, fireball, etc) and allowing only those 'autoattack' style spells to be cast on the move. However, even as I type this, it occurs to me that simply changing the dps allocation as described and making voidbolt/fireball/etc instant cast could produce a similar effect. I'm also wondering if they'd be capable of making spells designed such that they were instant cast BUT not capable of being cast while moving. Even something as silly as a .01second cast time (rendering the spell not really 'instant' but essentially so, however still preventing its cast while in full sprint).

Forgive the stream of consciousness ravings. Rift as-is is likely just fine.
    I dont see anything wrong with mages able to cast on the move.

1. Stormcaller vs Cab: SC is 95% immobile, cab is lolspam on the run, yet Cab is much more superior than SC.

2. Pyro has tons of casting and channels and the mobility is joke compare to loltempest but tempest is a much more superior spec than pyro, derp easy to play too,

3. The only other "caster" other than mages are the clerics w/ their only real ST Dps spec (inq) are given spammable bolt of judgement for movement.

+ Reply to Thread