+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccrsin

Thread: Leveling spec?

Soulwalker

Default Leveling spec?

Hi

I just bought Rift and i want to level mage but all these souls are confusing... People say that Harb/chr is best leveling spec but i dont have storm legion...
    So which souls i now choose?

I used elementalist with a little chloro and necro. Its great at lower levels and really solid as you get into the 40s and you can synth your major earth elemental - you can easily handle the 3-person group quests and some of the 5-person quests.

The only weakness is you only have 1 aoe dmg spell.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    I used elementalist with a little chloro and necro. Its great at lower levels and really solid as you get into the 40s and you can synth your major earth elemental - you can easily handle the 3-person group quests and some of the 5-person quests.

The only weakness is you only have 1 aoe dmg spell.
    So you had ele and necros pets? I really dont want to use 2 pets even 1 is pain :P Im difficult guy :P Is there more viable choices?

Soulwalker

IIRC, you can only have one pet active at a time....

Soulwalker

Is it wice to put points in chrolo for self heal? Or is it viable just go with Ele/Sorm?
    I really like playing with min downtime so selfheals are good at least in other mmos.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ccrsin View Post
    Is it wice to put points in chrolo for self heal? Or is it viable just go with Ele/Sorm?
    I really like playing with min downtime so selfheals are good at least in other mmos.
    Putting 8pts into chloro is great for leveling. You get LGV for constant passive heals and instant bloom for an emergency heal.
    DragonflySeksParade@Wolfsbane
    Multipass@Wolfsbane
    Proudly formerly a part of guilds such as Order of Shadow, Virus, & Blackout. And have met a lot of fun, great players along the way

Again, LGV healing isn't super necessary but it somewhat depends on level and gear.
    Reaper's Blade + Vampiric Essence + Conditioned Response + Insult to Injury can provide you with plenty of self healing. If you're lower level, in poor gear, or preferred to attempt much larger pulls, 8 in chloro for 5/5 Natural Awareness, Bloom + 2/2 Healing slipstream offers you both the veil heals and the ability to bloom yourself when necessary.

It is currently not worth using Harb + Stormcaller. Your st dps drops substantially if you do. The biggest 'weakness' of MaxHarb solo specs is a vulnerability to spell damage. You're just fine pulling large groups of melee - and rarely is it particularly viable to pull large groups of casters, so stormcaller serves to very rarely be beneficial at all (larger pulls), and in those circumstances you're already strong. If you're having trouble with casters, either a MaxHarb+chloro+lock(for life leach), or MaxHarb+chloro+ele (higher dps). If you still have problems with these specs, using a full on harb/chloro hybrid (41+harb & rest in chloro + 0-3 dom for squirrel)

Actually, the 61 Harb, 8 Chloro, 7 SC build is still viable for soloing and can start as low as 41/8/5 at level 41. The single target damage is significantly reduced in this build of course but for pulls of 5-8 targets it can be phenomenal. Personally, I'd drop the build at lvl 57-58 as that's where the enemies begin to be just a little bit too powerful to make pulling 8 mobs at once very comfortable but for 41-57 at least I would actually consider this build quicker at demolishing mobs than the single target Harb variation.

Dot up as many as you can with Blazing Light, hit Lucent Slash twice to refresh on all mobs, spam Forked Lightning for 10-14 seconds, refresh BL with LS twice again, go back to... oh wait, all the mobs are dead. You get the picture. CDs such as Essence of Wind at 44 points in are extremely useful and for those wondering what points to put - Dodge and Parry are extremely valuable to you as Lightning Riposte will be a considerable amount of your dps.

I found the trip from 57-60 easiest with 16 chloro and 0 archon because Nature's Touch really does hit like a truck (8-16k, geared 60's will crit for well over 20k) and it does quite a bit of healing. With 16 Chloro you'll be hard pressed to get yourself dead as long as you're swinging your Reaper's Blade. You can ignore every mechanic in the new Chronicle and just stand in stupid if you want because you'll have that much healing available to you. Not that I recommend practicing that... just saying that it's possible. Eventually, you'll be able to swap to the full 61/8/7 Harb/Pyro/Ele dps spec but you'll have to be careful now, won't be able to chain pull, and will have to use the occasional pot to top yourself off.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Soulwalker

Nice that people do reply to my thread but i said that i dont have storm legion so these harbringer builds are not possible for me..

Rift Chaser

Necro is best for leveling. You get a tank pet to handle aoe situations, a rogue pet to handle regular grinding, soul purge and essence whateveritis for healing, and feign death for bad situations.

If you don't like pets, go warlock. A few emergency buttons, steady dps, and sufficient self healing to stay consistent.

Also to a few posts above, you won't have vampiric essence while leveling.

Nice that people do reply to my thread but i said that i dont have storm legion so these harbringer builds are not possible for me..
    Heh, sry for hijacking your thread. When I reply to a post I'm usually replying to the person directly above me and if not then I will specify with a quote (like here) or an "@name". In this case, I was responding to Crovack's post, not directly to the opening post. Other than the SL 50-60 run, I haven't leveled a mage in nearly 2 years so unfortunately I have nothing but a guess that a Necromancer based spec is probably the way to go for someone without SL.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Shield of Telara

gotta love when people just read the thread title and reply without reading any of the posts.

if you dont want a pet, just mix pyro with at least 8pts in chloro and you'll do great for single target soloing.

there are a ton of possibilities for solo builds, just make sure to take ample points in chloro if you're experimenting.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

Plane Touched

You don't have Harb at all? Harb came out during 1.11 patch. It is a fun soul to level with so I'd recommend getting SL if it is completely unavailable to you. The best non-Harb alternative is Ele and use the tank pet.
    DragonflySeksParade@Wolfsbane
    Multipass@Wolfsbane
    Proudly formerly a part of guilds such as Order of Shadow, Virus, & Blackout. And have met a lot of fun, great players along the way

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Heh, sry for hijacking your thread. When I reply to a post I'm usually replying to the person directly above me and if not then I will specify with a quote (like here) or an "@name". In this case, I was responding to Crovack's post, not directly to the opening post. Other than the SL 50-60 run, I haven't leveled a mage in nearly 2 years so unfortunately I have nothing but a guess that a Necromancer based spec is probably the way to go for someone without SL.
    No problem :P Maybe i go with necro or warlock i really like dots :P

+ Reply to Thread