+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: how do i raid heal?

Prophet of Telara

Default how do i raid heal?

I've never healed before in any game. The most I've done is play support on 5-mans and we all know how much "healing" that involves.

I'm now getting into the raiding scene and I'd like to expand the roles that I can do (I can DPS and archon). I'm not planning on main tank healing as I've never done it and I don't want to start now. I figured I could probably slip into the raid healing or AoE healing role in a 20-man.

Here's the spec I've come up with - http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ir2/FkGGiBiAGl4/S90 Is this a good raid healer spec?

Next, my rotation. Keep up RS + WV and use EV. As for my spam macro:

cast Ruin
    cast Corrosive Spores
    cast Nature's Fury
    cast Nature's Touch
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Countdown
    cast Flame Bolt

Then use Bloom, Natural Healing, Flourish, Essence Surge, and Symbiosis as needed. Am I going to cause the raid to wipe or will I be OK?

Plane Walker

Spec - check. Great spec, might wanna consider dropping movement speed for cast time reduction. Or consider dropping 2% spellpower for Flicker. Personal preference though and yours is also good.

Macro - not good. Your primary heal is Vile Spores. Only use Natures Touch if you have atleast 3 stacks of Boon of Life. Basically just spam Vile Spores the entire fight and the other spells you listed occasionally.

Edit: Healing is not made perfect with a macro but if I was to make a macro it would be:

Cast Corrosive Spores
    Cast Vile Spores
    Cast Nature's Touch
    Cast Ruin
    Cast Withering Vine
    Cast Radiant Spores
    Cast Countdown
    Last edited by mr3onion; 02-24-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Plane Walker

I never macro heals. Maybe it's just a preference, or w/e..I don't know. I do make healover macros, for bloom, essence surge and resurgence. I have a single targe cure on macro for all 20 people of raids, but I don't have a spam macro.
    I guess it *could* work..but I like to micro manage my heals and probably spam vile spores more and keep larger heals ready for spike damage.

Don't forget your buffs..and you seem to be on the right track.

yea specs ok, id drop move speed for 1 more cast reduction and take up blazing light
    my only macros for chloro are

cast Ruin
    cast Corrosive Spores
    cast Radiant Spores
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Withering Vine

and

#show Nature's Cleansing
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group01 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group02 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group03 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group04 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group05 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group06 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group07 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group08 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group09 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group10 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group11 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group12 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group13 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group14 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group15 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group16 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group17 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group18 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group19 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group20 Nature's Cleansing
    who took my names!

My personal preference is cast time
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#iv2/FkGGiBiAGl4/S8
    Generally AOE healing is a Vile Spores spam with occasional other buttons pressed.

Nature's Corrosion heals better in the case of several targets but is good for DPS increase so you can use it to increase your DPS if it is quiet
    Ruin is your heavy hitter so use for DPS also. It heals a bit lower than Vile Spores but while inc DPS on raid is low you can use it on cooldown.
    Keep up Radiant Spores. Karuulalert is your frient for this
    Nature's Fury hits very hard but heals decently only if it can hit 3+ targets so it is used mostly for DPS and in AOE situations.
    Nature's Touch is used only if you have 3+ stacks of Boon of Life. Generally Vile Spores heal output is more but you can throw this one being instant right after Vile Spores for a small healing burst if the heavy damage on raid has occured, followed by Flourish for even more burst healing if needed.
    Withering Vines makes sense if many players are in melee range from target or on the move. But generally in the movement situation I use Ruin, Corrosive Spores and instant Nature's Touch.

Also one of your primary duties is casting Wild Growth on cooldown providing DPS boost for the raid.

You should have a mouseover macro for Bloom, Nature's Cleansing and Symbiosis as mentioned above.
    Last edited by Pacifyer; 02-25-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Champion

Pacifyer said most of the important stuff. The only thing I'd add is Withering Vine is still a good spam heal for movement when all else fails. A movement macro probably looks something like this.

cast Ruin
    cast Corrosive Spores
    cast Withering Vines

And if you know movement is coming save up 5 stacks of Boon of Life to instant cast Nature's Touch for another heal you can use during movement.

I think the best way to heal is to build convictions and to then use Doctrine of Loyalty.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    yea specs ok, id drop move speed for 1 more cast reduction and take up blazing light
    Why?
    /10char

Telaran

My macro is more like this
    Vile spores
    Corrosive spores
    Nature's touch
    Ruin
    Withering vine
    With all of the above on separate keys.

Get Kbm, watch timers and cast bars, get a feel for when raid is going to take damage, use entropic veil, CS, NT (3+ stacks) at these times, if you have charge and can stand still use Nature's Splendor (not with EV), refresh RS and WV at times of low raid damage.
    Try to use WG close to cooldown, but taking account of other Chloros and raid damage and charge.
    For tips on individual raid fights, ask here, me or someone will help.

The thing I love about raid healing, is it is not a rotation, it is different every fight, and during progression you get to figure it out, every spell has a use at some point.

Ascendant

Some of these macros are ridiculous.

Please do not macro Nature's Touch, Nature's Fury, Radiant Spores. Please do not prioritize Ruin over Vile Spores for healing.

The usage of Nature's Touch is heavily dependent on the amount of raid damage, and in many cases you want to save it for a spike. Nature's Fury is only used during down-time on raid damage. Radiant Spores is only used during down-time, and if no other chloromancer is using it. Ruin does more damage but less healing than Vile Spores spam. Save it for movement or a healing spike if you think Vile Spores won't cast in time.

Chloromancer is one of those specs that isn't overly difficult, so you should try to min/max it the best you can, especially as a new healer.
    Last edited by Ahov; 02-25-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Prophet of Telara

I thought I should keep WV up at all times (for some DPS and heals) but from the replies, it looks like maybe I should make it a movement-only type spell.

My new spam macro is (thanks lisea - yours make more sense after reading all the replies):

cast Vile Spores
    cast Corrosive Spores
    cast Nature's Touch - don't know if I should macro this or not (read below)
    cast Ruin
    cast Countdown
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Withering Vine

...and then just keep RS up at all times (I have this on Karuul and have the Self-Cast option unchecked) and Wild Growth. I'll have a separate version of the above spam macro for when there's more than 1 mob and put Nature's Fury above VS. I understand healing is not like DPS where you have a spam macro but I'm not main tank healing.

Nature's Touch I'm still not sure whether I should save it for spike damage or just macro it so it will cast instantly on a movement phase (provided I have 5 stacks but since I'm VS spamming, I probably will). When do you guys mostly use this? Right now I'm leaning towards putting Boon of Life on Karuul and just save it like Pacifyer and Ahov said - NT, Flourish, VS to counter raid spike damage.

Is the cast time reduction from the Pyro tree really worth it? If I put 3 or 4 points into Ignition it will only make VS have a cast time of 1.94s or 1.92s instead of 2s.

If I can stand still and have charge, is Natural Splendor better than VS spam? How "near" should my raid members be in order to get healed by NS? I don't think I want to use this spell since the tooltip says it only heals 8 nearby raid members whereas VS heals up to 10 ppl up to 30+ meters away.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Plane Touched

You want to keep withering vine up, if possible. Use a priority system.

Is big raid damage happening?
    If yes, only use WV if you need to move and other instants are on CD.
    If no, refresh WV on 3 targets, if available. Vile Spores is just a wasted 1.9s cast if everyone is at full health, while WV can be viewed as a HOT that can help heal future damage.

Like others have said, if nothing is happening and RS and WV are already on the target, spam vile spores. If big raid damage is coming, make sure CS and flourish are ready (off CD), and have an instant NT ready. I tend to use NT first since it has the shortest CD. That said, NT requires some practice to account for travel time and cast time (if you need/choose to cast it with only 3 or 4 stack of BoL).
    DragonflySeksParade@?
    Fivedollarfootlong@? (rip Multipass)
    Primetime@?
    Proudly formerly a part of guilds such as Order of Shadow, Virus, & Blackout. And have met a lot of fun, great players along the way

Chloro + Macro = Bad.

Yes, other specs use macros out the wazoo but the only macro's Chloros should use are announce, stopcasting, and mouseover ones and even those are mostly personal preference.

Some examples:

Announce Macro
    #show wild growth
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast wild growth
    me --- WG is up for 12s ---

This will put in emote text that you have used Wild Growth. Other announce options are:
    ra (raid chat)
    p (party chat)
    y (yell)
    s (say)
    w {name} (whisper's the person you named; or you can use %t or other target options)

Stopcasting Macro
    #show bloom
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast bloom

While useful at times, this can also be detrimental because if you stop casting something that has a gcd you'll still have to wait for the gcd to finish before your macro'd ability will go off. In fact, the only time this is good to use is if the ability you are casting will take longer to finish casting than the amount of gcd left. In other words, if you start casting a 4 stack Nature's Touch that has a cast time of 0.5 seconds and a gcd of only 1.0 second then using this stopcasting macro is actually very bad. However, if someone needs a heal really badly right after you started casting Vile Spores then hitting this macro will heal them quicker... you just won't get that VS cast off which could mean that other people die. tl;dr - just be aware of how stopcasting really works. It doesn't get rid of the gcd.

Some people use mouseover macros but I make a lot less mis-clicks without them so I don't use them. They can definitely be useful, though, so ask someone else for more information on them.

And that's it. There are no other good macros for a Chloro to use. There are also plenty of guides available (look in the "guides" section) that cover the priority based "rotations" involved and which abilities should be used when and how to keep people alive (which is what healing is all about, not some number on a parser).
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    my only macros for chloro are

cast Ruin
    cast Corrosive Spores
    cast Radiant Spores
    cast Vile Spores
    cast Withering Vine

and

#show Nature's Cleansing
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group01 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group02 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group03 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group04 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group05 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group06 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group07 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group08 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group09 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group10 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group11 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group12 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group13 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group14 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group15 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group16 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group17 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group18 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group19 Nature's Cleansing
    cast @group20 Nature's Cleansing
    Why? Blazing light does nothing for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kommon View Post
    Why? Blazing light does nothing for healing.
    who told you that?
    who took my names!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast