+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solo/lvling builds

Default Solo/lvling builds

So.... I haven't played rift since the mass nerf of ID about 4-5 months ago

Right now I'm lvling as harb/chloro, and its great. Mind you, I'm only early 50's, and haven't rly experienced all the new high lvl abilities in each of the souls. I love the harbinger chloro build, but wanna have another build to sort of change things up.

Are there other combos that work rly well as a solo questing build?

And any suggestions what I should go into 5-mans with at the start?

Just wanna get as much practice with several builds as possible, so any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Plane Touched

To avoid posting a new thread, I'm also looking for a leveling build, for level 25 and on.

I was told that the fastest way to level is just AoE grinding mobs that are 2 levels higher than you, so...what exactly is the "AoE build" for Mage? I tried Harbringer/Chloro and that does work to an extent, as long as I don't pull more than 3-4 mobs.

Harb is, by far and away, our best solo spec. If your gear is 'good', you can simply use a full on dps-style harb build (61 harb + 8 pyro + 7 ele). However, while leveling using a build that includes Chloro can be beneficial, even more so if you're leveling quickly and your gear is somewhat stagnating along the way. In that case, 61harb + 8-15 chloro + soul of your choice (preferably ele or pyro for a good single target spell to use armor procs on).

For doing dungeons, your fastest queue is going to be in chloro. Due to the nature of the chloro tree gift, you'll continue the old pattern of max points in chloro (61 points at level 60). There are a couple options for your other 15 points, but especially if your gear is weak 8 in pyro is nearly a requirement (for 3/3 Burning Fury). After that you have the option of either going 11 in pyro (picks up flicker) + 4 in harb (8% spell power); or my personal preference, 8 pyro + 7 harb (10% spell power + 8% constant movement speed). While flicker has it's occasional uses, I prefer the constant movement speed increase because it produces more raw healing. In addition to having the full 10% spell power boost form Harb available, you also have to ask yourself: if you need to move from PointA to PointB, when you use Flicker to do so, you're using a global cooldown and are not producing any healing; however, when you run there with a faster movement speed, you're still able to use instant attacks on the move and thus can still continue to produce healing. That said, the difference is minor and comes down to personal preference.

For dungeon dps, you have several options, the bulk of which are on these forums under the guides section. To give you a few thoughts on possible choices:

61 ele - simplicity at its most simple, very reasonable spec for the beginner/casual mage. High level of mobility and reasonable target switching, while also being highly 'macroable' (that is to say it loses only a small portion of its dps when using macros heavily to simplify rotations)

"Necrolist" (28-32 necro + 44-48 elementalist, using necro caster pet) - This hybrid pet spec can produce significant dps at ease. It isn't our best dps spec by any stretch, however it does produce 'free' aoe damage (as in, the pet has aoe based attacks in its single target attack rotation which means if there are any other mobs nearby, you'll simply gain extra dps). As far as I know this spec will out perform 61 ele in single target dps.

61 Pyro: Currently very simple - I wrote a brief guide here (6th post). It lacks the mobility of the pet specs and may or may not produce higher dps. It likely has the potential to do higher st than the above pet specs, however it has little/no aoe to speak of.

61lock/8pyro/7necro - currently our highest single target ranged dps spec. Val wrote a very intricate guide concerning usage of this spec (in mage guide forum). The problem with it for dungeons is the somewhat timed consuming ramp-up time. You're applying 5 dots before your rotation really begins. While initially applying these dots, your dps is low. The longer a fight goes, the less time spent (compared to the total time of the fight) where you have this burdensome weak start. Warlock is significantly better at target switching than it used to be, although still weaker than the pet specs. It has mediocre aoe (on a 30 second cooldown), but can maintain very high single target while producing additional aoe damage at almost no cost (1 gcd per 30 seconds to Radiate Death).

61 harbinger/8pyro/7ele - this spec can, when reasonably geared, double as a good solo spec. It has a lower ramp up time than other specs, however it is of a mediocre difficulty to play. Macroing too heavily (using Vorpal Slash outside of an armor proc) and poor maintenance of Piercing Beam and Blazing Light refreshes can cost significant dps. Add in the part where it's a melee spec, and this may be 'difficult' to play in some experts for newer mages. Some of that difficulty can depend on your tank as well (their mob placement and movement can significantly alter the practicality of melee and the difficulty). However, if you plan to raid, melee specs have a higher dps potential than ranged specs and getting practice is good. 61 habringer is not our hardest or best dps spec, but it does bring significant utility (EA offers aoe dmg in a burst cooldown, Phantom Blades allows for easing disconnects, it has an Interrupt, and two charges ... sorta). Great spec to be very familiar with.

33harb/43chloro - great spec for dps and aoe healing. There are multiple variants, this is my preferred version. It's great at producing strong dps and substantial healing. You can significantly ease the burden on your healer if the healer or tank is particularly weak (or players are just bad and standing in fire).

This harbinger + archon combo build is also an amazing tool for dungeons. It can produce competitive dps while also buffing your part and bringing in cooldowns that can substantially help. It's also rather easy to play. I really enjoy the power behind this spec and highly suggest at least giving it a try.

Last but not least, by any stretch, is pyroharb. If you're interested in our top st dps spec, pyroharb is it. There's plenty of guides and information about it in the mage guide section. Will warn you now: this spec is not easy to master and the difference in dps between it and 61harb is minor. You have to be of a very high skill level to produce desirable results out of it.

Estimated ST DPS Ranking by potential:
    Pyroharb > 61 Harb > 61 Warlock > ArchonHarb > Necrolist > 61 Ele > ChloroHarb
    - Unsure exactly where 61 pyro belongs in the list
    -ArchonHarb ranking includes all cooldowns and buffs brought by ArchonHarb, as in 5/10-man setting you should not expect to receive these from other sources normal and thus those buffs/cds are a tangible addition to the spec's potential.

Thanks for the very detailed reply.

I will be trying all sorts of things at 60. I was just trying not to tire of harbinger by the time I hit 60 that's all.

As far as rotations go, I'm sure that top ST build will fall right in line with old school SC/ele, and defilemancer. Which I was comfortable in

The big difference is mostly being in melee in terms of difficulty. If you're fine with this, you'll do well.

Also, if you needed a non-harb solo spec, pet based specs are still viable considerations (high necro, necro/lock, or high ele). They aren't as good as harb, but if you're looking for something different, they can be options. In particular they may be options to consider against caster-heavy areas. Harbinger has no defense at all against spells other than healing the damage and killing the mob(s) fast. Casters being spread out is harder for melee too.

Most of the older style solo pet builds are still viable with some tweaking. You can even consider pet specs with offensive pets (the fire elemental or the undead rogue), if your dps is high and you use some other type of supplemental healing for you and/or your pet. (Essence Link is still great, specing a little into chloro can work too, there's lots of options).

If you're not raiding, you'll certainly have roles to play around with for solo specs. If you do end up raiding heavily and every role slot is precious, 61harb/8pyro/7ele is perfectly viable for soloing daily quests and such easily using the Reaper Scythe and Vampiric Essence. It generates very high dps for a solo spec, and with tricks like invisibility, a 4s charge stun, and a 5s ranged stun - you have a variety of methods for completing quests in a timely manner.

Yea, I definitely plan on raiding. Just didn't wanna blast to 60, then have to learn 5 builds ya kno?

Thx for the suggestions. I am gonna have to try several things

Plane Touched

So...a Harb/Chloro build is good for AoE grinding, then?

Only thing I do differently is take an extra point in chloro to get Nature's Touch. It hits like a truck when you insta cast it and heals for a ton.

Champion

A spec I soloed up with a lot was full dom and the rest into chloro. The idea behind this spec is that every target that your dom skills hit with aoe will trigger your chloro veil. Because it's not life damage it will only trigger small heals, but by the time you get 3-4 aoe's up it will trigger often.

The spec is pretty situational. Pretty much the enemies need to be melee within 1 level and even then there are some things that this just won't work on. Gnar's come to mind. They have a special skill used every 8-10 seconds or so that just hits too hard to grab more than 2 at a time. If you have to take down just 2 things at a time harb is way better.

Reason I enjoyed this spec is nothing takes down groups of enemies faster. After leveling with it for a while I could take 4-10 enemies at a time and have them down in 10-12 seconds. You grab things with withering vine, when they get close you use mass exhaustion to freeze them to give you time to heal and use radiant spores, then start the AoE-fest. Makes carnages go by incredibly quickly although if there are any archers and you use this spec you'll probably hate life very quickly.

Just something a little odd and different if you're feeling adventurous. It's just about 100% useless outside of solo content though.
    Last edited by MonkeysUncle; 02-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.

I used to go necrolock almost exclusively but the last few months I find a pyromentalist works best and the most fun. DOT DOT DOT got old.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Forbiden (70) | Demara (70) | Midas (65) | Minatsuki (65)

Server = Zaviel!

+ Reply to Thread