+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller and PvP planar attunement

Default Stormcaller and PvP planar attunement

Could I get explanation other then "Trion hate mages" why stormcaller was made an AoE only spec and why our PvP planar attunement suck so much?
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Because Dominator used to not be an AoE damage spec, so Stormcaller was it.

Rift Chaser

Posting with that kind of attitude isn't likely to get you any answers, since you seem to have already made up your own mind.

Souls either do ST or AoE now, not both. Yes, AoE souls still have ST abilities, but they aren't meant to be anywhere near competitive. Warlock, Pyro and Harbinger are already good ST souls. SC and Dom are the mage AoE souls.

Can't comment on the pvp attunement since I don't pvp, but they don't look much different than the other callings. You'll have better luck getting information if you state why you think the mage attunement is underpowered. Whining that it's bad with nothing to back up your claims just makes you look childish, and no one is going to want to help you.

Tier 1 PvP planar attunement was implemented back when the gear for PvP averaged around 25 valor and 5 vengence per piece. It was like having an extra piece of equipment on your set. Now its a little behind the times.

Stormcaller has had successes in the past as a stdps spec (while maintaining strong aoe- its intended role, kind of what you think of with storms), building storm sc/ele, for example. And preexpac there were other aoe specs that doubled as decent stdps too (like sabo). Also at the time, aoe hit much harder. This presented a problem with balance (in pvp esp)- why bring an stdps spec when aoe specs basically hit like an stdps spec except in an aoe? Or could just use single target abilities that are similar to other stdps? This is why the pvp aoe was lowered through the pvp tree, and why after the expansion souls that were good at aoe were usually balanced around a lower stdps point. The idea was to differentiate the roles of aoe and stdps more, so if you are an aoe soul you do it by giving up some st potential, and vice versa. If sc does come into play as an stdps spec in the future it will probably be in a hybrid where it will give up some of its aoe potential, although since its relatively weak pvp aoe right now and lacks defenses, it would probably be fine with both. Or give it more defensive mechanics to make up for the change in st potential. Another option is to give it good single target burst, but limit its potential to long term stdps with mana intensiveness.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Imagine a world where Stormcaller is a ST DPS soul.

Warlock for consistent damage over time, highest overall DPS but lowest burst
    Pyro for high burst but lower overall DPS, optimal in short cooldown phases, easy mode spec
    Stormcaller for slow buildup to high potential burst, the expert's spec

Maybe it's just a fantasy...

I would actually rather stormcaller remain at least in part an aoe spec, its stormcloud animations are sort of what I think of in the spec, and I really enjoy the sustained aoe mechanics, there just isn't any place to really use them atm. I'd be fine with it having a hybrid stdps role- like sc/harb, but since mage already has so many stdps specs to balance around....
    My dream with the spec would actually be to actually revamp its defensive line for pvp use, and for actual damage give it a pvp friendlier range on its spells and a slight dmg boost (having lightning field jump to more targets maybe so the electrified consumption is more
    consistent, or have a wider setup for electrified builders and consumers, which is sort of needed since the change to 5 electrifieds, and with how much opponents run around with the lowered hypos).

it was originally designed around defenses involving movement cc- but these have become more and more inadequate, first with the cc nerfs, than the prevalence of gap closing abilities in what should be specs its good against, then getting rid of the low point defenses in the pvp soul, and then nerfs in its snares and ride the wind in the expansion.

I would love to see it return to a role of position control- I think it would be fun to play on using storms to disrupt other teams movements more. LIke summoning moving tornadoes that push out enemies from their center, or a windstorm that acts like a slow moving pushback against enemies (so they have to run against it to stay in place). And maybe more effective hypothermias, and more water/non lightning wind effects. This would give it a fun defensive/utility design that will make it easier to balance around than pure dmg in the long run (which is sort of a fine line). idk i'm not claiming to be the majority though, I know a lot of people have said they would like to see it go back to building storm st. I think this would be really hard to balance out though.
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread