Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best non-Harb build for mage soloing in Storm Legion?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default Best non-Harb build for mage soloing in Storm Legion?

    Harb/Chloro is great and also feels like a lot of work after 25 levels. Looking for a more relaxing alternative.

    My 50 mage has tried Ele/Pyro and Necro/Lock. Both strong but slow. Maybe my rotations are not optimal.

    Is there a hands down best non Harb mage build for Storm Legion strength mobs?

    By "best" I mean:

    Would need to be able to kill 1 mob fast.
    Can handle at least 2 normal mobs.
    Decent survivability of course. I am going to assume a pet would be involved to avoid trying to kite mobs endlessly in dangerous areas.


    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Topology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    Harb/Chloro is great and also feels like a lot of work after 25 levels. Looking for a more relaxing alternative.

    My 50 mage has tried Ele/Pyro and Necro/Lock. Both strong but slow. Maybe my rotations are not optimal.

    Is there a hands down best non Harb mage build for Storm Legion strength mobs?

    By "best" I mean:

    Would need to be able to kill 1 mob fast.
    Can handle at least 2 normal mobs.
    Decent survivability of course. I am going to assume a pet would be involved to avoid trying to kite mobs endlessly in dangerous areas.


    Thanks in advance!
    Chloro/SC might be able to do what you're looking for, though I haven't really played it since Radiant Spores ate a nerf in 1.11, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

    You may as well try it if you've got the time.

  3. #3
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    Harb/Chloro is great and also feels like a lot of work after 25 levels. Looking for a more relaxing alternative.

    My 50 mage has tried Ele/Pyro and Necro/Lock. Both strong but slow. Maybe my rotations are not optimal.

    Is there a hands down best non Harb mage build for Storm Legion strength mobs?

    By "best" I mean:

    Would need to be able to kill 1 mob fast.
    Can handle at least 2 normal mobs.
    Decent survivability of course. I am going to assume a pet would be involved to avoid trying to kite mobs endlessly in dangerous areas.


    Thanks in advance!
    Not sure if you are leveling? Because a harbinger can easy take +15 mobs or more without any problems if you have the 15 points in the chloro for more self heal options. I could do this at level 50 as well, but at 60 there is no problem if there are elites in the groups either.

    My co-player warrior are always grumbling over that my grinding is more effective and faster then his and i can also keep us both up with the heal i have if we don't overpull huge elite groups.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default

    +15 mobs you say! wow. You can solo 15 mobs in Storm Legion. Your a better player than me for sure.

    BUT- I am specifically looking for an alternative to Harb as I mentioned. It IS really good, i agree.

    For the 1st suggestion (Chloro/SC) you would be kiting I assume? I don't really want to try and kite in SL lands as mentioned. Or are you saying you can stand toe to toe with 1 to 2 mobs on your Chloro/SC and not get hurt too bad?

  5. #5
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    712

    Default

    if you're just looking at 1-2 mobs, 51+ele/15necro will do great. you could probably use a dps pet if you're careful with pulls, or just use the tank pet in case you aggro extra.

    the reason you found necro/lock slow is because you miss out on all of the ele pet talents/gift. if you had necro/ele the 15 points in ele would gain you 60% pet damage just from the gift, let alone the talents you pick.

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    Would need to be able to kill 1 mob fast.
    Can handle at least 2 normal mobs.
    You'd have to define what "fast" means to you.

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Working on my solo dps spec, my level 54 pyro mage can burn thru a level 56 mob in 10-15 seconds while taking minimal damage. Add a second mob and it can survive, but barely.
    My subsouls are SC and WL.
    It, as I said is intended for dungeons/group activities. But in testing I liked the fact that I could burn through mobs so quickly. As long as I'm careful.
    I just found the harbinger was taking way to long to kill something. My pyro-elementalist was quicker, but not as quick as this.
    Beware the Guffin...

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejaye View Post
    You'd have to define what "fast" means to you.
    I guess I mean - as fast as my Harb.

    Think I will try the " if you had necro/ele the 15 points in ele would gain you 60% pet damage just from the gift, let alone the talents you pick. " idea, thank you!

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Unfortunately, no, there is no build that is going to match a harbinger based build for soloing, or come remotely close.

    That said, I spent most of 50-60 with a mainly pyro build. I still go back to harb if I am questing.

    If you're going for "leveling as fast as possible" your build actually won't matter much. The fastest way to level is to do quests/pvp daily to level 52 and then start joining City Core MRRs.

    In an MRR you could go for AOE or support or whatever, since your personal damage mitigation and survivability will mean less.

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara Frailaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    A hint for any soloing build that has something like Eldritch Armor or Opportunity - go 16 points into Chloro. Nature's Touch hits like a truck, gives 22 charge rather than the 15 you'd get from VS, and procs a significantly larger heal on yourself.

    Level 50 - 50/16/0
    Level 54 - 54/16/0
    Level 58 - 54/16/4

    Just a few suggestions... feel free to mess around with them. The reason for 4 in domi is because mass charged shield helps considerably with those large AoE pulls and even on ST pulls can account for 150-200 dps. Make sure to enter combat and get all your buffs including crystal based SP boosts and then put MCS up again while you're at peak SP and then leave it alone till you die or till it wears off naturally.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched pkudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritique View Post
    Then start joining City Core MRRs.

    In an MRR you could go for AOE or support or whatever, since your personal damage mitigation and survivability will mean less.
    I'm not familiar with the acronym MRR. Can you elaborate? Major Raid Rifts?

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Nargauzius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    if you're just looking at 1-2 mobs, 51+ele/15necro will do great. you could probably use a dps pet if you're careful with pulls, or just use the tank pet in case you aggro extra.

    the reason you found necro/lock slow is because you miss out on all of the ele pet talents/gift. if you had necro/ele the 15 points in ele would gain you 60% pet damage just from the gift, let alone the talents you pick.
    I use necro/lock for Improved Life Leech, Lingering Pain so Void Bolt resets it, Improved Void Bolt for spamming when I don't need Soul Purge, Contaminate and Greater Contamination for +30% DoT damage and Magical Affinity to keep charge up for the DoTs, plus the +22.5% DoT damage and +7.5% other damage. I have elementalist as 3rd soul mostly for Crystalline Missiles for every time Epidemic procs (better than plague bolt) which is often. It's basically a free 2nd Void Bolt every few moments but without resetting Life Leech.

    The +30% DoT damage and Improved Life Leech mean it takes a ton of aggro to kill me (and I have Feign Death anyway). I set up camp in one of my carnage quest areas, toggle Contaminate during the first mob battle, and from there it's just a train of death. The only time Contaminate wears off is when I totally deplete my immediate area and charge starts dropping, but it's easy to set it right back up again, and if I manage my charge right (which is easy to do with Magical Affinity and Improved Void Bolt), I have enough for Bone Frenzy and the occasional Empty The Crypts.

    It's fast. It's not as fast as my pyro spec but I don't expect it to be, and besides my pyro spec has nowhere near the survivability or ability to take on multiple mobs with ease.

    I did make the mistake during leveling of not taking Epidemic soon enough, but as soon as I put 3 points into it my killing speed exploded. It makes a huge difference. My pets critical hit all the time so it was a dumb move on my part not taking it early.
    Last edited by Nargauzius; 12-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I think Domi (full) / Chlor (rest) / 0 SC is very good for that, because of VERY good AOE burst and alot of tricks to able fight solo boss.
    It's comples to master , but you can control range (vs 1 mob) using Electrocute and Thunder , Use Shackle and Death Edict to cc / Swift cast time spells / Get quite good amount of heals and vs crowd this spec shines brightly being able to put crazy ton of aoe dps on 8 + mobs which are afflicted by your Radiant Spores simultaneously
    It is more like playing piano in terms of control (you hardly can macro much together) but it very good once you master it

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    280

    Default

    You can try 61 warlock / 8 necro / 7 harbinger. You are basically un-killable if you use your talents right, it has no problem taking on several mobs at once (not 15 as claimed above for harbinger tho ;), and the dps is decent (not sure how it compares to harbinger/chloro, have not tried that build).

  15. #15
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaa View Post
    Not sure if you are leveling? Because a harbinger can easy take +15 mobs or more without any problems if you have the 15 points in the chloro for more self heal options. I could do this at level 50 as well, but at 60 there is no problem if there are elites in the groups either.

    My co-player warrior are always grumbling over that my grinding is more effective and faster then his and i can also keep us both up with the heal i have if we don't overpull huge elite groups.
    Right.

    Go to SoL and pull 15+ level 60 mobs and live to tell about it as a Harb.

    Not going to kill them fast enough before you are dead.

    And it would be the worse way to use Harb to solo. Being they have just about ZERO AoE damage.

    I'd kill those same 15 faster 1 at a time before you kill all 15 at once.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts