+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some DPS testing

Default Need some DPS testing

Ok, so I'm sure everyone who plays 51 ele has "the macro". It's your filler macro for when CM instant-cast hasn't procced and Ignite doesn't need to be refreshed.

OK, so here's the test I need someone else to do in order to confirm my numbers:

Put CM between your DPS-increasing cooldowns at the top of the macro and all of your instant-cast items like Stormbolt and Elemental Burst, BELOW. Yes, I'm suggesting that you put everything below CM in the macro.

Now, here's the priority for the test:

Ignite refresh > jump (yes, jump) > spam macro

Compare that to your normal rotation and let me know what you see.

I'm able to get the same numbers by doing this or actually paying attention to CM procs and having it on another button. There's, maybe 100 dps lost this way, but 100 dps in a parse is definitely within the margin of error, so it's hard to tell.

I'm not saying that all mages should WANT to jump around like idiots in raids. I'm just trying to establish if it's actually DPS-neutral.
    Last edited by Harmil; 10-23-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    Harmil is:
    Mev - 60 Mage (Archon, Harbalist, Chloro) Faeblight
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>
    Gaming blog: http://ajsgaming.blogspot.com/

To explain why this works for those who don't already know: macros will choose the first spell that currently CAN be cast and cast it. They will skip over any spell which is not available, including spells that require a cast-time, while you are moving. This is why you always put an instant-cast, no-cooldown spell at the end of your macros for when you're moving.

So, by putting CM at the top and always moving, you guarantee that it will be the first thing you cast every time, as long as it's on cooldown, and will never be cast otherwise.
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

Oh, one more thing: I decided to do a test to see how far down my macro I ever got, so I put Stormbolt and Elemental Burst after CM, and then added in Necrosis (an otherwise uninteresting DoT) so that I would see the DoT show up on the target dummy when I got down that far.

Necrosis never showed up on the dummy. Ever. CM procs so much and Ignite has to be refreshed so often, you just never get that far down, even with the relatively longish cooldowns on those instant-casts and the relatively short refresh cycle on Ignite.
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

its a funny idea, and an out of the box way of simplifying something. also, in b4 people dying on maelforge to derping with this trick.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

i allready did that

theres a wall at the sanctum dummies you can perma autowalk against and still hit a dummie, i was just spamming a macro with CM at top + instas below

it does work, its just not fertile in a raidsetting
    and i cba to perma jump
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Quote Originally Posted by sculti View Post
    i allready did that
    What were the numbers? (and what do you normally get out of the spec?)

I know it can be done (did it last night), but the key question is: how much does it help or hurt.

Of course, the perfect world would be one where you could have a "stopcasting" line in your macro that didn't terminate the macro's execution (as stopcasting does when you've already started trying to do a cast-time spell). But then, that would probably lead to just about every class being a one-button macro.

My "rotation" on the dummies to test this was "jump, macro" x 5 followed by mashing ignite until it went off, and then back. I tuned my spacing of jumps and macros to get to ignite just as it ticked down to 1 (leaving time for a global cooldown and still managing to refresh ignite before it dropped).
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

did that just for fun
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Another question if anyone else is listening: Do you ever find it to be a win to cast CM without a proc? I've done a large number of tests, and I can't ever make it worth it to care. In fact, I was getting passable numbers with a "cooldowns / SB / EB / CM / stopcasting" macro, and I could increase those numbers to a baseline if I used a second button (or modifier) to prioritize CM when it procced, but at no point have I been able to do as much damage if I ever cast a full cast-time CM. Ever.

Am I doing it wrong, or is this spec actually supposed to never have a cast time on anything we use except our AoE?
    Harmil is:
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>

+ Reply to Thread