+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talents to ignore resistances

Default Talents to ignore resistances

Did anyone figure out if those actually do something currently or have some impact in SL?
    I am talking about:
    Spell Bore (Archon)
    Ravenous Flames (Pyromancer)

Does that affect DPS in any way say in ID?

Looking at current gear changes it comes to mind that all of the mobs have some fixed resistance level and these penetration skills do decrease it. In theory if the value is like 30% that penetration will increase DPS by 3%.

Did anyone perform any tests?
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

I will reply to myself

I did some tests. I tried to make 2 specs with 18 points in Pyromancer. One had 3 points in Ravenous Flames and other had those 3 points in Improved Flame Bolt.

Then I casted Life Leech (which seems to deal a constant amount of damage per tick)
    without Ravenous it dealt 257 dmg per tick and with Ravenous it dealt 262 dmg per tick.

Doing some math it seems that at least dummy has ~16% resistance and the damage without it would be 307.

Probably the result would be more accurate if there was a spell with constant high damage rather than DOT so we would not lose accuracy but currently it seems that these talents end up giving 2% DPS increase

This could probably differ for other targets. Current result applies to a Boss Practice Dummy.
    Wizards till we die!

I would greatly appreciate if devs could clarify this to public.
    Wizards till we die!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifyer View Post
    I would greatly appreciate if devs could clarify this to public.
    They aren't likely to.

Basically the higher the % resistances of the target the higher the boost to damage it will provide. The lower the % resists the lower the damage boost it will provide.

at 100% resistance to a particular element a 9% resistance would be infinity % increased damage but only 9% of your spell's unmodified damage. So % increased damage may not be the best way to look at this.

There are a few things that could matter and it might not be until SL that we know for sure.

What is the average mobs % resist?

How much variation is there between mobs?

Will resist penetration start to be itemized on gear? (i assume no.)

Is there a wide discrepancy between the resists of particular elements on any given mob?

Given any damage value how much flat damage are we looking at in difference between the spell without and with the spell penetration? There may be other choices to spec into that actually provide more damage boost than just the penetration. If you put it into another tree and get another cooldown the burst may actually have more utility than the 2% damage and be more useful on some fights than mitigating 2% damage.

Basically it's really complicated and right now how much it affects raid mobs is the important thing for people raiding between now and the xpac launch.

Ascendant

clerics have better resist piercing talents than we do anyways.

Ive actually been wondering this for awhile because I was doing the math to try to figure out if i should stick with 46 pyro/20 warlock vs 44 pyro/22 lock and the only talent i could possibly drop that would result in more dps bonuses was the resist pierce, but assuming boss resist scaling matches what resists on my char sheet do, i decided against changing.
    Last edited by Caldern; 10-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Soulwalker

You're also forgetting about the Elementalist talent which is very low.

Ravenous Flames = 10% reduction
    Spell Bore = 9% reduction
    Abrasion = 4% reduction

Altogether, that's a 23% reduction to target's resistence.

The Abrasion talent isn't far at all in the Elementist soul...you can take a talent that gives you +5% critical strike.

Maybe it's worth looking into.

Champion

Necro had Ghostly Power 4%.
    warlock has Seeping Corruption 10%.

topped off with the other 3 mentioned.

Trion wasn't stupid when they added this into the game.
    They've got various elements of our souls covered with extra damage, specially through resistances.
    And, as has been mentioned, since most of the trees have +dmg modifiers as it is. Y ou could eaislly skip going dom/sc/archon, and pick up ele instead, for the 4% reduction.

Ascendant

just looking at my own char sheet, if i drop about 120 off my fire resist(roughly 20%) i go from 47% reduction to 37% reduction, roughly a 19% increase in damage taken. I remember somebody mentioning that armor/resist ignore are in the ballpark of each 1% increases damage by 1%

but it still bugs me that clerics get 30% for only two talents, while we get 10% for three.
    Last edited by Caldern; 10-24-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Champion

Don't we have more magical/elemental damage then clerics? (I want to say, they have more physical dmg.. but I don't play a cleric.)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Don't we have more magical/elemental damage then clerics? (I want to say, they have more physical dmg.. but I don't play a cleric.)
    well, inquisitor is pure elemental damage and has 30%, shaman i believe has 30% ignore armor and resist, but it might be 20%, and also a buff at like 54 or 58 points that gives another 20% which stacks.

This is my test.

All gear removed (127 SP), debuffs watched, no self or raid buffs.

Avg. damage of CM taken from 20 attacks. Crits removed, so avg. is without any crit attacks.

Normal Practice Dummy

No Points spent:

With Abrasion added:

With Abrasion and Ghostly Power

With Abrasion, Ghostly Power & Ravenous Flames

Dungeon Practice Dummy

No Points spent:

With Abrasion added:

Boss Practice Dummy

No Points spent:

With Abrasion added:

Clearly these skilsl effect DPS, and the Devs did add the changes to the tool tips. As you spec in to these skills you'll see the base damage on your spell damage, listed in the tool tip, increase. I would think that resistance works much in the same way as AC does and I expect that all mobs now, have resistance.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 10-24-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    just looking at my own char sheet, if i drop about 120 off my fire resist(roughly 20%) i go from 47% reduction to 37% reduction, roughly a 19% increase in damage taken. I remember somebody mentioning that armor/resist ignore are in the ballpark of each 1% increases damage by 1%

but it still bugs me that clerics get 30% for only two talents, while we get 10% for three.
    "I remember somebody mentioning that armor/resist ignore are in the ballpark of each 1% increases damage by 1%"

If my math is right, then it is not a 1% = 1%. Ignore resistance seems to be better, but more testing may be needed.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 10-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahcp View Post
    Clearly these skilsl effect DPS, and the Devs did add the changes to the tool tips. As you spec in to these skills you'll see the base damage on your spell damage, listed in the tool tip, increase. I would think that resistance works much in the same way as AC does and I expect that all mobs now, have resistance.
    you spent 66 points without buying resistance stuff, then 66 with right?

because if you just bought abilities that will increase your base damage via the gifts

just asking because you said "no points spent"
    Last edited by Caldern; 10-24-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    you spent 66 points without buying resistance stuff, then 66 with right?

because if you just bought abilities that will increase your base damage via the gifts

just asking because you said "no points spent"
    I did not spend any points beyond what was needed to get the Ignore Resistance Skills and then only skills that did not impact damage.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 10-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast