+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Harbinger spec?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    101

    Default Harbinger spec?

    So with Harbinger soon to come to us on live within just three more weeks, I have been doing some research. In beta I have been testing out the Harbinger spec; different souls here, different souls there, though I haven't found Harbinger to be very good dps-wise. For a while I attempted Harbinger and Stormcaller, and that did not do justice to my liking. So any fellow mages have any suggestions on what they have been using for Harbinger? I'm sure we all are greedy to get our hands on the new soul!

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    I've only gotten to try out 2 different Harbinger specs on the beta so far.

    I think the spec I'll be leveling as is 51Harb/15Chloro.
    This spec had significantly less damage than the other I tried, but had insane survivability. Used eldritch procs for Vile Spores, so easy 700+ heal(HK epics/GSB relic sword) and since a few other skills are life you get tons of passive healing. Bloom also for those oh crap moments.

    The straight damage spec I tried was 51harb/15Pyro.
    Now this spec's damage felt far superior to the other one. You can use 2/3pc Pyro crystal to give your eldritched Fireballs the extra combust proc. The Lightning Blade sword's air damage per hit was also critting for a little over 800. I didn't get to do hard number testing, but the mobs in the new area that are rockin 26k HP die super fast. I would fireball->charge->spam macro/whirlwind(forget its actual name but u probly know what I mean) and that would kill most things. Would then use the all melee become ranged cooldown since charge would be on CD for about 5-7 more seconds. I think Harbinger's thing isn't big numbers, but walls of smaller ones. Biggest crit was only 6400 compared to 14k fulminate, but I killed quite a bit faster. I'm at work atm so can't post specifics, but since NDA is lifted I might throw together some videos so people that don't have Beta access can take a look, and I'll try some different specs out. Will throw something together this afternoon and repost.

    I did get to do Exodus as well, and the damage felt stupidly high on boss fights. All the passives/dots from harbinger+3 combust stacks from pyro w/crystal were pretty rediculous(wall of text!). Not to mention the movement utility is pretty stupid when there's a **** situation.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Pixel Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,231

    Default

    grats on breaking the NDA
    who took my names!

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    grats on breaking the NDA

    GM announced on the Beta servers last night that NDA was lifted

    as stated at the end of the 2cd paragraph
    "but since NDA is lifted I might throw together some videos so people that don't have Beta access can take a look, and I'll try some different specs out. Will throw something together this afternoon and repost."

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirrado View Post
    I've only gotten to try out 2 different Harbinger specs on the beta so far.

    I think the spec I'll be leveling as is 51Harb/15Chloro.
    This spec had significantly less damage than the other I tried, but had insane survivability. Used eldritch procs for Vile Spores, so easy 700+ heal(HK epics/GSB relic sword) and since a few other skills are life you get tons of passive healing. Bloom also for those oh crap moments.

    The straight damage spec I tried was 51harb/15Pyro.
    Now this spec's damage felt far superior to the other one. You can use 2/3pc Pyro crystal to give your eldritched Fireballs the extra combust proc. The Lightning Blade sword's air damage per hit was also critting for a little over 800. I didn't get to do hard number testing, but the mobs in the new area that are rockin 26k HP die super fast. I would fireball->charge->spam macro/whirlwind(forget its actual name but u probly know what I mean) and that would kill most things. Would then use the all melee become ranged cooldown since charge would be on CD for about 5-7 more seconds. I think Harbinger's thing isn't big numbers, but walls of smaller ones. Biggest crit was only 6400 compared to 14k fulminate, but I killed quite a bit faster. I'm at work atm so can't post specifics, but since NDA is lifted I might throw together some videos so people that don't have Beta access can take a look, and I'll try some different specs out. Will throw something together this afternoon and repost.

    I did get to do Exodus as well, and the damage felt stupidly high on boss fights. All the passives/dots from harbinger+3 combust stacks from pyro w/crystal were pretty rediculous(wall of text!). Not to mention the movement utility is pretty stupid when there's a **** situation.
    Thank you, that is most helpful! The past 24 hours I have been going crazy with different specs; parsing, testing and so forth but never really tired to mix it with pyro. I will most definately try it! I'll try to work around a macro for it as well.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Actually since I'm really bored on my weekends, and this is my Friday, I will definitely make some stuff when I get home. Since there are no Soul Tree calculator's yet for Harbinger I'll throw together a few videos showing the talents and root abilities. Although I have almost no idea what I'm doing with the rotation yet lol. Also I make no promises on the soothing tones of my voice .

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Playing as 51 Harb 15 Chloro as well. Really don't even need the casted heals from it, the passives are keeping me up easily.

    Using Pyro as 0pt so I can use Fireball as an insta cast whenever Eld. Armor procs, which is VERY often.

    Pulling with the 10% dodge Harb spell, then Withering Vines if the amount of mobs I pull is large. Using Radiant Spores is also useful. Just slash away. I'm using healing Essences if that helps. Was pulling 5-8 52 Mobs and doing fine. Ending the fight with full hp and nearly full mana. Harb is really a lot of fun.

    Sure it does less dps than a full dps spec, but from a survival perspective nothing comes close. I feel it has potential to do well on support as well with the use of chloro. Reality wise though, if you're pulling 5-8 mobs you're probably going to take them down as fast or faster than a single target dps spec.

    Really see Harb having a ton of potential, but not as a raid dps spec.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    @Viscio

    Have you noticed how rediculous the 50+ elites are in the new zones? IDK if I was in a buggy area, but I tried to kill an elite from a stage 1 fire rift that fireball spammed me for 4k+ a hit. Needless to say it didn't take very much spam, but I think it would be pretty cool if we would actually need a party again to do an at lvl major rift

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Missed the 5min edit timer

    Also I just thought some, will have to double check the Harbinger tree later to see for sure, but wonder if at 60 Harbinger/Stormcaller will be viable if you go 39Harbinger/37Stormcaller. I'll elaborate below but at this point its 110% speculation, but looks good on paper lol.

    Again I'll have to confirm if this gets key points in the harbinger tree, but 37 in Stormcaller will get you the following abilities. Keep in mind that with Eldritch up and the rate at which it procs there's no reason to worry about cast times. Also note all the spammable Harbinger skills are Air damage!

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...cu0cxsGbocM.-9
    You get 5% more damage from High Voltage.
    A decent AOE on Eldritch procs from Scattered Bolts when hailstorm isn't off CD.
    Instant Icicle proc from Storm Shard almost always up due to the amount of Air damage going out.
    TONs of the passive +Air damage.

    Using Thunderbolt/Forked Lightning on Eldritch procs to keep electrified stacks up would give your air attacks an extra 45% damage at 5 stacks, and another 45% if you are keeping Ice Shear up! Not to mention this would give you some more competetive AOE when it's needed. Although I'm pretty sure you'd have to get the higher Tiers in Harbinger to get the better passives(+30% dmg to Lightning Blade's proc).


    I will check 35Harb/31SC when I get home as well as it may be decent at 50, but we'll have to see. Either way I think the above spec looks alright on paper, but it really depends on if the Harb stuff benefits from the SC passives. Although the rotation would probably be a cheap wh0re with a rusty baseball bat.....

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Moods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    176

    Default

    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...BllaGy/Fn0/h8Q

    Spam macro
    #show Storm's Fury
    cast Vengeful Shock
    cast Vorpal Slash
    cast Storm's Fury
    cast Storm Slash

    Charge macro
    #show Phase Step
    cast Blade Rush
    cast Phase Step

    Is what im using.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Thanks to the guy above this and his magelo link I would like to update my SC spec mentioned above with this...

    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...A98M/gAEh2AA/h 50
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...Ag/gAEh2ABgg/h 60
    Last edited by Nirrado; 10-20-2012 at 10:37 AM.

  12. #12
    General of Telara Eclipze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    909

    Default

    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...x8o/Glr2FgUGgg - Level 50
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...A8M/Glr2FgUGgg - Level 60

    Benefits:

    +124% Damage (76% Gifts/18% Power in Numbers/10% Combat Mastery/10% Charged Blade - Near 100% Uptime/5% Soul Fire/5% Volcanic Bomb - Eldritch Proc)
    +22% Spellpower (10% Eldritch Knowledge/12% Inspiration)
    +18% Healing (Power in Numbers)
    +~50 Int/Wis (Pillaging Stone)
    +8% Crit (5% Vital Assistance/3% Earthen Barrage - Eldritch Proc)
    +240 Spellpower (Synergy Crystal 55x3 Auras + 5x15 Pillaging Stone)
    Flaring Power/Cleansing Flames/Purification/Illuminate

    Buffs: Eldritch Armor, Lightning Blade, Archon Aura's, Pillaging Stone, Searing Vitality, Ashen Defense, Crumbling Resistance

    Main Spam:
    Vorpal Slash
    Storm's Fury
    Storm Slash

    Eldritch Proc:
    Volcanic Bomb
    Earthen Barrage
    Pillaging Stone

    I don't think there is any other spec out there for Mages that can boost spellpower/damage this much. This is only theorycrafted. Not sure if this can compete with full dps specs, but this could be a great 5/10 man support/dps spec.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 10-20-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...x8o/Glr2FgUGgg - Level 50
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/b...A8M/Glr2FgUGgg - Level 60

    Benefits:

    +124% Damage (76% Gifts/18% Power in Numbers/10% Combat Mastery/10% Charged Blade - Near 100% Uptime/5% Soul Fire/5% Volcanic Bomb - Eldritch Proc)
    +22% Spellpower (10% Eldritch Knowledge/12% Inspiration)
    +18% Healing (Power in Numbers)
    +~50 Int/Wis (Pillaging Stone)
    +8% Crit (5% Vital Assistance/3% Earthen Barrage - Eldritch Proc)
    +240 Spellpower (Synergy Crystal 55x3 Auras + 5x15 Pillaging Stone)
    Flaring Power/Cleansing Flames/Purification/Illuminate

    Buffs: Eldritch Armor, Lightning Blade, Archon Aura's, Pillaging Stone, Searing Vitality, Ashen Defense, Crumbling Resistance

    Main Spam:
    Vorpal Slash
    Storm's Fury
    Storm Slash

    Eldritch Proc:
    Volcanic Bomb
    Earthen Barrage
    Pillaging Stone

    I don't think there is any other spec out there for Mages that can boost spellpower/damage this much. This is only theorycrafted. Not sure if this can compete with full dps specs, but this could be a great 5/10 man support/dps spec.
    That looks pretty freaking baller honestly. Gonna have to try that one out tonight.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirrado View Post
    @Viscio

    Have you noticed how rediculous the 50+ elites are in the new zones? IDK if I was in a buggy area, but I tried to kill an elite from a stage 1 fire rift that fireball spammed me for 4k+ a hit. Needless to say it didn't take very much spam, but I think it would be pretty cool if we would actually need a party again to do an at lvl major rift
    Yes, the Rift elites are really overpowered. I was able to solo a 53 Elite, non Rift related, just fine. However the ones from the Rift destroyed me in every spec I tried, even on my much better geared rogue (couldn't even bard heal through the dmg).

  15. #15
    Ascendant Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    37 Harb/37 SC/2 Ele is very good, but Mages numbers as a whole need to be brought down a little so this could change, although I hope it doesn't because its an awesome spec to play.
    Nope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts