+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking For a TOP DPS Mage Build in 1.11, Any Suggestions?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Looking For a TOP DPS Mage Build in 1.11, Any Suggestions?

    Well 1.11 is finally here, and with that I was looking around trying to find the better option for a top end dps class. Ive spent the last 3 days pouring over forum after forum looking for one. Ive heard good things about Melee Warriors, Rogues and Mages. I have a lv 34warrior, and a 43 rogue. Yet, when it all boils down to it, I really dont care about playing a "class I enjoy" I absolutely love doing mass amounts of dps and will play whatever class is necessary to do so.

    So far Ive norrowed my search down to Mages or Rogues. I have a lv 23 mage at the moment and would really like to try my hand with them. Yet again, I havent been able to find anything really concrete on a solid dps build. So, I am here to see if anyone out there has anything concrete as of now w/ the mage souls for top dps.

    Ive read that this build or that build does 3k, or 4k. Yet, I would like to do more dps then that once I reach lv 50 up in the 5k's and if possible even higher. And by all means, if you have suggestions for other classes with their builds, feel free to suggest away.
    I do love playing with other classes and their builds

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Warriors are currently broken and parsing over 6k with their hands tied behind their back. They'll be nerfed.
    Rogues and Mages are floating between 4k and 5k.

    Top mage dps spec right now is a tossup between 51 Pyro and 51 Ele/13 Necro. I personally have Pyro at a couple hundred higher than 51 Ele. 51 Ele is far simpler (honestly, it's quite boring) to play and does pretty comparable DPS. More than sufficient for raiding, albeit Pyro will scale better in raids than Ele will.

    Cleric DPS is in a bit of a wash right now and I fully expect it to change before SL and during the first month of SL. Currently, 51 Inquisitor is as easy as 51 Ele, but at the very bottom for ST DPS. 51 Druid does more damage, but is melee and slightly more complicated. 51 Shaman is melee as well and the most complicated, but is rewarded with DPS that is competitive with Mage and Rogue.

    I know next to nothing about the individual rogue specs, so you might want to take a gander at their class forums if you're interested. 51 pyro is incredibly fun to play with many skills on long, medium, and short CDs. For leveling to 50, I would suggest going Ele and/or Necro.

    This is what I remember from the PTS, so some things might have changed on Live.
    Last edited by Scourge; 10-19-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: mage dps

    Taking into account the fact that many forum posts have epeen inflated numbers, use any info here more as a guide to your own discovery. In other words, take the build/rotation "advice" you see posted and then see for yourself what works for you. The biggest danger is to copy/paste a build, rotation and macros from some other dude's brain without understanding what makes it work in the first place. Might as well watch a bot play.

    Unless you plan on raiding then you really have no need to worry about your dps, and only then at the highest level of progression where the fights are tuned to be a challenge even in BiS gear. If you do plan on progression raiding then you will need to find a guild and more often than not be able to perform several roles. That being said......

    Think of 1.11 as a 3 week long stepping stone. Many of the souls will be reworked in the next few months, and most will not fully come together until the tree points at 60 are utilized. The theory crafters will spend long hours trying to "maximize" various builds that will be nerfed overnight. Parses on target dummies are not realistic numbers for any raid encounter where movement is involved, which is most. In my opinion it is the players that fully understand their builds and are able to crank out serious numbers in the face of difficult raid mechanics that are the creme de le creme.

    Personally I have tried out several variations of 6 different builds since the patch, and the only thing I know for sure is..... a month from now there will be another FOTM backed by applicable data from the expac. Until then.. try to have fun.

    P.S. I have an HK geared mage with a few HK relics who spikes 21k on trash in a 48 SC / 10 Dom / 8 Arc
    AoE spec that is a lot of fun. I honestly believe come the extra tree points from 60 that build will spike 30-35k and hold 12-15k anytime there are 5-8 mobs about.

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser RickWolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I'm not trying to be really mean, but it's lame threads like this that frustrate me a little. Your basically saying "I looking for the most min/maxed build I can find regardless of play style so I can get the highest DPS possible and make everyone else think that I'm such a good player, however I don't want to put any effort into figuring out myself so I'm going to be lazy and ask everyone else". If you only play an MMO to impress people on how good of a player you are and not to have fun and create your own build then get a freaking life. Geez...

  5. #5
    Plane Touched takadox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    283

    Default

    As mentioned above, 51 Pyro and 51 Ele are currently the top contenders for Mage Single Target DPS. 51 Dom and 51 SC are top AoE DPS, with Dom being focused more on burst AoE and SC more on sustained AoE.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    I'm not trying to be really mean, but it's lame threads like this that frustrate me a little. Your basically saying "I looking for the most min/maxed build I can find regardless of play style so I can get the highest DPS possible and make everyone else think that I'm such a good player, however I don't want to put any effort into figuring out myself so I'm going to be lazy and ask everyone else". If you only play an MMO to impress people on how good of a player you are and not to have fun and create your own build then get a freaking life. Geez...
    Yes, pride is the only reason for wanting a high dps spec. It may have nothing to do with the fact that some people enjoy raiding but require excellent dps in order to participate in those raids (this is not a social requirement; many raid encounters themselves require high dps in order to succeed).

    And yes, being lazy is absolutely the only reason people ask for advice and builds. It may have nothing to do with the fact that some people are good at physically playing a game, but not good at theorycrafting and working the numbers. What is this world coming to when people ask for help?!

    Next time try to get a handle on why people are doing what they are doing before you insult them instead of just assuming that you know their motives.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default

    You forgot to mention the bit where a lot of players want to pull their weight and not be carried but don't have time to pummel dummies and test (and even if you do one person in a vacuum will take forever, if we compare results we can come at it and eliminate and test more ideas faster) because of their lives.

    Rick, your post makes me imagine that you're either a super top player with loads of time on your hands OR you're one of those people who does 1000DPS in full T2 and like playing with "casuals" but doesn't realise that basically there's people working far harder than they should, watching wipes on bosses they could do in their sleep and the like so you can enjoy your boss kills. Or maybe you don't raid. It's a team game, it's the thrill of working as a group and doing it. It's the thrill of pulling your own weight, having done your share of it, and yes you sometimes have to make sacrifices and play a spec which isn't your idea of perfect fun (though a lot of guilds will give a little leeway on specs if you can deliver enough DPS to pull your weight even if you're not absolutely topping out) in order to do this.

    It's totally worth it for a lot of us.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser RickWolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Actually, I'm really good at theorycraft because I enjoy math and statistics, but I don't have the time to raid and be a hard core elitest like a bunch of people on here. I did, at one point in time, raid in WoW back when Wraith came out, but none the less the guild focused on gettin to job done while still allowing people to play what they enjoyed playing. People weren't concerned with simply picking top tier classes cause they're elitests. They played the game cause its fun and if you enjoyed playing a mid tier survival Hunter then do your best and let's do it! Even when I did raid, I was never an elitest that took a computer game to seriously to the point I was concerned with min maxing a spec I had absolutely no interest in playing. If its not fun then why the hell are you playing it?

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser RickWolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Most of this is a matter of definition. I play RIFT because its fun and I like Theorycraft, however you might play RIFT to the competitive point where being the best guild/player is your objective.
    Before I played MMOs, I was a hardcore fighting gamer. I went to tournaments all over the east coast and play games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Street Fighter 3. I didn't pick the top tier characters that everyone did. I picked the characters I like to play as regardless of what teir they were. So when I got in the top 16 players in the east coast championship back in 2005, I got way more respect then even the best players because I made it to the top brackets with out picking the top teir characters that everyone else was using.
    Maybe it's a matter of my experiences and my personal preferences that make me feel the way I do about elitists. However I stand by them. Of course, I figure you'd do the same as well.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    Most of this is a matter of definition. I play RIFT because its fun and I like Theorycraft, however you might play RIFT to the competitive point where being the best guild/player is your objective.
    Before I played MMOs, I was a hardcore fighting gamer. I went to tournaments all over the east coast and play games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Street Fighter 3. I didn't pick the top tier characters that everyone did. I picked the characters I like to play as regardless of what teir they were. So when I got in the top 16 players in the east coast championship back in 2005, I got way more respect then even the best players because I made it to the top brackets with out picking the top teir characters that everyone else was using.
    Maybe it's a matter of my experiences and my personal preferences that make me feel the way I do about elitists. However I stand by them. Of course, I figure you'd do the same as well.
    Now you do realize that unless you were placing top 16 in EVO or SBO qualifiers in a game with a decent size population, your accomplishments don't mean anything right?

    Back of your original argument though, perhaps you should reread the OP.

    "...I really dont care about playing a "class I enjoy" I absolutely love doing mass amounts of dps and will play whatever class is necessary to do so."

    Sounds to me like his definition of fun is big numbers.
    Last edited by TheProtagonist; 10-20-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Astascus - Mage - Wolfsbane

  10. #10
    Plane Touched takadox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    Actually, I'm really good at theorycraft because I enjoy math and statistics, but I don't have the time to raid and be a hard core elitest like a bunch of people on here. I did, at one point in time, raid in WoW back when Wraith came out, but none the less the guild focused on gettin to job done while still allowing people to play what they enjoyed playing. People weren't concerned with simply picking top tier classes cause they're elitests. They played the game cause its fun and if you enjoyed playing a mid tier survival Hunter then do your best and let's do it! Even when I did raid, I was never an elitest that took a computer game to seriously to the point I was concerned with min maxing a spec I had absolutely no interest in playing. If its not fun then why the hell are you playing it?
    I'm glad that you can find enjoyment in playing the class and build you like, but that is irrelevant in this context. We are not talking about what you like, we are talking about what the OP likes. If someone (like the OP) enjoys top tier raid content then they absolutely need to bring a top tier spec. This is not a personal choice, it is a requirement by the raid mechanics. No matter how skilled of a mage you are you will never succeed trying to DPS top tier content with a subpar build.

    If someone enjoyed only mid to low tier content then they would be able to pick and choose whatever spec they want, but not in a top tier environment.

    Next time don't be so narrow minded. You are always free to enjoy whatever you like (that is the whole point of games after all) but don't try to project your opinions onto others. Everyone enjoys the game differently, and to those who enjoy top tier raiding content, top tier specs are required (yes I am repeating myself because you apparently did not understand my first post).

    P.S.
    I would like to correct an error I made earlier: the current top AoE DPS specs are not 51 SC and 51 Dom, they are a hybrid of SC/Dom and Dom/SC. I apologize for the mistake.
    Last edited by takadox; 10-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by takadox View Post
    And yes, being lazy is absolutely the only reason people ask for advice and builds. It may have nothing to do with the fact that some people are good at physically playing a game, but not good at theorycrafting and working the numbers.
    So... good at identifying fire and pushing number keys?


    Honestly the dude above who said the stuff that's being taken as mean is trying to be helpful, i think.


    If you don't know WHY the class/spec being linked is the best and what exactly you need for stats / stat thresholds to make that work, you're going to mostly be a serious liability for progression raiding guilds. If you want a more casual raiding experience where you don't need to know those things and be able to adjust on the fly, there's nothing wrong with that. The same if you just don't want to have 1:1 farming/prep to raiding timeframes. I sure as hell don't want that, but I'm a lot older than I used to be and there was a time when that was fun for me. Generally the expectation that a best build has been found already and "gimme" is what tends to bring the foul attitudes. I don't think the OP meant it to come across that way, but it did.


    To the poster above me. If the op wants to raid top teir, he needs to be top teir. There's more to that than having the "best spec." This is doubly true after a patch like 1.11.
    Last edited by dozey; 10-20-2012 at 03:27 PM.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser RickWolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheProtagonist View Post
    Now you do realize that unless you were placing top 16 in EVO or SBO qualifiers in a game with a decent size population, your accomplishments don't mean anything right?
    Actually, there were still 240+ people at the east coast champs, and coming from a background of not being able to practice on REALLY GOOD players then I think I did rather well. And it's the same situation with raiding, I could never afford to go to EVO because I never had the time or money (minus the money part for raiding).

    And I also recognize there is a fundamental difference here. In fighting games you can take a low tier character, and if you were really good, you could still hypothetically win. In RIFT, you can't. A Soul is limited to its best mathematical rotations in any given situation, and regardless how good you are, a 1.09 Necro isn't going to touch a 1.09 Pyrolock.

    Quote Originally Posted by takadox View Post
    If someone enjoyed only mid to low tier content then they would be able to pick and choose whatever spec they want, but not in a top tier environment.
    Back before 1.11, if you wanted to do top DPS as a Mage you were forced into Pyrolock or Defilemancer, because they were top tier. And yes, in a raid environment, why would the leaders of the raid want to include a player that wants to play as a 1.09 Necromancer? The Necros ST DPS was decent but didn't compare to that of the Pyrolock or Defilemancer and if you want to win then why settle for less right? I understand this concept so trust me, I'm not being narrow minded. I recognize the difference and I know what I enjoy and I can see the fact that other people could find different things enjoyable.

    However, imagine if you will and perfectly balanced RIFT, where Souls that were intended to deal great ST DPS dealt VERY similar ST DPS. Then people could in fact play the Calling and Souls they had the most fun playing and still be-able to raid without be forced into playing something they would rather not. I hope they get there someday. I know TRION is trying their best to reach a balance but it's not very easy.

    Ultimately I am sorry if it seemed I lashed at the OP because of 2 fundamental differences (He was concerned about end game raiding in which case you can't settle for less then the best, and, we find two different things to be enjoyable)... I still think being innovative and playing around with builds and figuring it out on your own is part of the adventure and I still love it.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    There is a golden rule:

    Top DPS should be class/spec independent, it should focus only on "how hard is the spec to play". Why were Lock/Pyros so good before 1.11? Because it was one of the most difficult specs.

    Do not look for "meele > caster" or something like that. That was the main problem in WOW which destroyes the balance. Look at the difficultness of a spec and make the most difficult spec to be the top dps spec, and specs where a player pushes only 2 buttons, should do lesser damage.

    If a causal want to do the same damage as a raider, then he need to play the difficult spec. If he can't, ... too bad. Learn to play!

    And if you want to bring more fun into the game, then update the AOE-spell of the pyromancer. It makes lesser dps now, then single target DPSing the mobs... This is absurd.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser RickWolford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorchi View Post
    And if you want to bring more fun into the game, then update the AOE-spell of the pyromancer. It makes lesser dps now, then single target DPSing the mobs... This is absurd.
    And I think this is completely fine. Pyromancers were OP before 1.11 and I'm glad Firestorm got a nerf. Pyromancer is a single target DPS soul, not the best in both, that's ******ed.
    They just need to balance the game in general. It would be better for everyone

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    And I think this is completely fine. Pyromancers were OP before 1.11 and I'm glad Firestorm got a nerf. Pyromancer is a single target DPS soul, not the best in both, that's ******ed.
    They just need to balance the game in general. It would be better for everyone
    OK, then I hope, they will remove the unnecessary skill and put something usefull there. The game makes not such fun as it did before 1.11 while doing DPS. Playing Lock/Pyro was difficult, but after some time of learning you got the damage it was suppose to do. Now, all the dps builds are much easier. To do proper pyromancer dps, the "rotation" is simple to learn and after that you are still 1-1.5k behind warriors. A 2 button dom/necro does the same damage in raid as a good pyromancer. In my opinion this is wrong. Pyromancer dps is only to get your fulminate crit and use prime whenever your sigil buff is up. Where is the skill...?

    Lets see what we will get past 11/13.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts