+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Firestorm is way too weak

Rift Master

Default Firestorm is way too weak

Seriously, I can do 5k ST easily, Firestorm is lucky if it hits for 1k per target, should be twice that at least. It isn't worth using unless there are 5 or even 6 targets to AoE.

Can we have this looked at and increased please, because right now I wouldn't use it 99% of the time and it leaves pyro without any worthwhile AoE.
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

I agree, the Fire Storm nerf was very heavy-handed. I'd like to know why.

the new paradigm for raiding is that if you want AoE, you have to bring a dedicated AoE spec. as a result, all the AoE specs had thier STdps increased to a decent level so they're not complete deadweight, however, because of this change, all aoe abilities in all callings that are present in non-aoe souls received a very heavy nerfing. firestorm is still decent for multi-target trash pulls, but one-size fits all dps is a thing of the past.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Sadly, we still have raid encounters that benefit from being able to do both aoe and st damage...

Plane Touched

Araenn, if that were truly the case, then cleric ST souls would have had the same nerf, but one was pulling 11k last night on an AOE pull while 4 of us mages were doing 4 to 4.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Suga View Post
    Sadly, we still have raid encounters that benefit from being able to do both aoe and st damage...
    And you can run AoE and ST damage specs for these

What was the point of AoE specs really when Firestorm and Cornered Beast was all the AoE needed in any raid?

I think the intent is to make it so everyone in the raid's not all playing the same spec, where there's variability to suit the encounter. We just had people swap to AOE builds where needed (a few of them even discovered that the ST in them wasn't as bad as they though). Mages have the best AOEs in the game and you're complaining about Firestorm -- see the problem, here?
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 10-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Mages have the best AOEs in the game
    Say what? Pre-1.11 warriors and rogues had us beat (warriors mostly because of our long build up time), not sure about now but I see huge numbers from Sabs, much more than I imagine Stormcaller doing (yes, I've tested it today).

I appreciate what Araenn is saying, but there is a difference between 'this isn't going to be the best spec when I need AoE DPS' and 'this spell is almost totally worthless now', and Firestorm easily fits into the latter category.
    Last edited by Tarien; 10-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Say what? Pre-1.11 warriors and rogues had us beat (warriors mostly because of our long build up time), not sure about now but I see huge numbers from Sabs, much more than I imagine Stormcaller doing (yes, I've tested it today).
    Dominator *cough*

Ascendant

pyromancer now has the same level AOE as our other single target dps specs, it should never have been allowed to stay so strong for as long as it was. Pyromancer being so good at everything made other specs basically redundant

we have dedicated AOE souls we should have a place to use them to full effect

Grave rot and Burning ground too weak plz buff =(
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Say what? Pre-1.11 warriors and rogues had us beat
    We're not in pre-1.11 now.

I appreciate what Araenn is saying, but there is a difference between 'this isn't going to be the best spec when I need AoE DPS' and 'this spell is almost totally worthless now', and Firestorm easily fits into the latter category.
    It's not useless, it's weak. It's stronger than Inquisitor or Assassin or Elementalist or Necromancer or or or... and Pyro also happens to be our top single-target. It doesn't need more of anything.

Rift Master

We're not in pre-1.11 now.
    I was demonstrating that mages not only don't have the best AoE, we haven't had it for some time. Sorry if that went by a little too fast for you.

It's not useless
    Really? I'm trying to think of a good use for it in let's say, Infernal Dawn.... but I can't. There is no use for it, therefore it is use... less?

I was demonstrating that mages not only don't have the best AoE, we haven't had it for some time. Sorry if that went by a little too fast for you.

Really? I'm trying to think of a good use for it in let's say, Infernal Dawn.... but I can't. There is no use for it, therefore it is use... less?
    You've clearly made up your mind on this, and also clearly never played SC/Ele. Mage AOE has always been extremely powerful, there's just nothing designed for sustained ranged AOE DPS. That has nothing to do with the class -- go complain in the dungeons and raids forum. On >5 targets I don't think anything could beat SC/Ele, maybe Sab, before 1.11. In ID trash clearing we had 3 SCs and a Dom; 4 Mages topping every pull, packs dying in under 10 seconds. I have little sympathy for people that don't want to switch specs to be the best at something.

Firestorm is fine if you want to be lazy in ID, a weekly, or a t2. Firestorm is inefficient to having a dedicated AOE class when AOE is needed (Laethys) in a raid and that's how it ought to be. Gods forbid anything be better than Pyro for anything in the game! I like Stormcaller and Dom, so I switch. At least we have that option and we excel at it. Warriors' best AOE is their tanks, now.

tl;dr: your inability to streamline your raid is not a problem with the design of Firestorm.

Ascendant

not only is firestorm putrid(as is devouring shadows since forever), stormcaller setup time makes it not even close to par with the other aoe specs. with 5 electrifys now its just ridiculous
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast