+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Father Grimm

Thread: Earth Elemental Pet - nerfed?

Telaran

Default Earth Elemental Pet - nerfed?

Elementalist used to be the go-to spec for soloing with my Mage in v. 1.10. The Earth Elemental pet had good damage mitigation, and had a strong heal to keep it up in some very hard fights. Necromancer's tank pet just couldn't keep up. Now, though...

Thud -- now does +10% damage reduction, down 10% from 1.10
    Stone Armor -- now adds +5% dmg. red., but takes up the Mage Armor slot, unlike 1.10
    Pet Health -- I only tested the Necro tank, which was low; needed both Elementalist and Necro 5pt talents to get the health up to the Earth pet's 1.10 levels. I presume it's the same amount of health with the Earth pet, but I'll double-check.
    Pet heal -- down to 15% pet health per second, down from 25% in 1.10, a 40% drop.

Overall, dps has seen a solid increase, which is all the raiders typically care about. However, those of us who solo or duo primarily (like me) rely on a durable tank pet. Extra offense can only do so much when you're up against a tough elite mob that chews through your health.

Does anyone know if there were any other mechanics altered with the tank pets to make them more durable, such as additional armor to mitigate physical damage? Or has the dawn of 1.11 and Storm Legion forced me to seek out more PuGs to overcome the occasional tough elite mob?

Ascendant

Are you basing this just off raiding the skills, or have you actually tested? I just finished soloing the first several pulls of xIT with the Earth Elemental. You will have to gear around it, but it's still very powerful.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Telaran

When I posted earlier, it was based on some testing last night with the Necro tank pet, and some review of the tool tips for both souls. Now that I've put the Earth Elemental to the test, I've found that it definitely can't stand up to the toughest mobs that it used to. No doubt, there has been a phenomenal increase in the dps for pet builds, both Elementalist and Necro, but the tanks just aren't as capable, mainly due to heals.

The mitigation is down by 5% damage reduction -- nothing huge, but in a fight on the margins, it hurts. Elemental Link used to provide 10% damage reduction, but now it only provides 5%. That combined with the nerf to Thud leaves the Elementalist tree adding +20% DR (if running Stone Armor for +5%), when it used to have +30%. At least now, the Necro tree can add some of its pet talents to the mix. However, for mitigation Necro can only add +5% from Fresh Graves to the Elementalist pets. The same percentages work in reverse if you use the Necro tank pet, and buff it with Elementalist talents.

Health is definitely down for both pets, if you just spec into their original talents. If you spec into both Weathered AND Master Chirurgeon, the health bonus is only as good as one of them would have been previously. This means that you have to go into both Necro and Elementalist to have tank pets that approach the same mitigation and health.

The biggest problem comes from Channel Elements -- the drop in healing there is significant, from 15% pet health per second to 25%. The only benefit now is that you can use this heal with either Necro or Elementalist pets.

Both my Necro and Elemental tank pets have just under 6k hp. My gear is Tier 1/Blighted. I tried a couple of test environments with both a Necro and an Elementalist-primary build:

Expert Iron Tombs: I hadn't soloed the entrance of expert IT before, so I didn't have any basis of comparison for how that fight would go. Perhaps with practice I could do better with the entrance mobs, but they dropped fast when I briefly tested the tank pets there.

Fire/Earth saga bosses: Jor'Nok went ok, and it was nice to see the extra damage quicken that fight up. However, Graal was a no-no; I used to be able to heal my pet through that fight, though it was very close. Now it's impossible.

There's a lot of great changes for Mages in 1.1, but soloing or using my pet to tank is definitely less effective now. =/

Ascendant

Like I said, you have to gear around it. I used my Dollin tanking gear just to see how my pet's health would scale, and it shot up from 4.7k to 12440. That's a phenomenal amount of health gained.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Telaran

Obviously you missed (or ignored) the parts about "primarily soloing or duoing" and "Tier 1" gear.

Having to over-compensate with Tier 2+ raid gear for encounters that worked pre-patch with Tier 1 gear (and not all pieces at that) is not a solution - it's an insult. It further makes this MMO into a big raid oriented game. From the dev postings I've seen, that's not supposed to be how the new soul changes were supposed to turn out.

Also, this problem is primarily a matter of mitigation and hps. More health certainly helps with damage spikes, but in a long fight, it may just be a delay in the inevitable.

I'll have to try diverting some points into Chloromancer to see if the occasional Bloom and Flourish will do the trick. I don't know if the pet heals will benefit from the Chloromancer gift, but that's worth looking into. Of course, that means even less flexibility in the pet build, using a lot more of the 66 points, just to get back to the functionality that used to be available with 33-34 points in Elementalist.

Plane Touched

I'm not sure. The lower damage reduction from Thud and traits may not be as bad as it seems, because the earth pet has gained a HUGE buff to armor (from ~9k to ~20k if the tooltips are correct). In some very short tests against normal mobs on EI, the earth pet took roughly 1/3 less damage per hit compared to the old pet.

You're definitely right about the lower pet health and reduced heal though. I'm HK geared and have maxed out earth PA tier 1&2, but my earth pet only has ~4.8k HP (I have ~6.5k myself). I'm shuddering when I think how bad it must be for fresh lvl 50s with no gear/PA!

Note: this is with only elementalist traits (don't have necro in my spec, and tbh, I don't want to be forced to take it to get an "acceptable" tank pet). @Caydin: how much endurance/health do you gain from your tanking gear? Would be curious to see how it impacts pet health.
    Last edited by Sarim; 10-18-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Telaran

I wouldn't be surprised if physical mitigation improved, but there is some mitigation drop with non-physical damage. The elite mob that got more difficult was a riftblade. Still, as you suggested, mitigation is probably not the issue. Healing and health are.

It feels like survivability across the board was nerfed. Pet tanking builds require more points and souls to do less. Heals were moved higher in skill trees (e.g., Flourish), nerfed (e.g., Radiant Spores, Soul Purge), or removed altogether (Reconstruct, Shadow Life). Harbinger is supposed to give us more survivability options, but will it really do so if our other options have been nerfed or eliminated, and it's largely limited to a melee context?

+ Reply to Thread