+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Elknar

Thread: Mass Grave and Empty the Crypts 1.11

Default Mass Grave and Empty the Crypts 1.11

I'm playing as a necromancer for some time (since the release of Rift actually) and quite enjoy this spec, so I am very happy that my pets got back some of their decaying brains and now are able to attack targets by themselves without the need for me to attack first.

BUT! why is it required to have a hostile target within 30m selected before I can summon my loyal minions? What if I want to prepare for the battle and prefer to lose a second of the pets' lives instead of having a 3sec casting time (or a 1.5 global cooldown if I spend Exhume or use Empty the Crypts) at the start of the battle ?
    Also what if I just like having those pets around me from time to time? I'm playing on a RP server and I do enjoy being followed by loyal undead. I don't want to search for snakes/cats/deer/developers(no offense intended) and other critters to summon my pets for fun!

Plane Walker

Isn't zoomancer a better necro spec now? or did it get a last minute nerf clobbering?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Devicus View Post
    or did it get a last minute nerf clobbering?
    Yep. Zoomancer got nerfed hard.
    Live - Lokken - Mage - Unity Guild - Gelidra EU http://www.unityguild.net/
    Prime - Lokken - Rogue

I actually liked the change. More times than not my pets would go to a target I did not want them to attack. In this way I can have my empty the crypts on one target, my pet on another, myself on another, and mass grave on another. It allows for my pet direction to be more specific. Also I have no wasted time. Casting them ahead of time is actually a larger DPS loss due to travel time. Now they spawn at the target guns blazing.

Again just my opinion. All I know is for me it works way better and I prefer it. Likely does not work with several other's playstyles.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I actually liked the change. More times than not my pets would go to a target I did not want them to attack.
    I liked the change too. I myself sometimes experience the problem of pets attacking the wrong target. I disliked that it is now strictly required to have a target, thus limiting the usage of the spell.

I agree that there might be a DPS loss due to the travel time of the pets and that precasting does lower the pets useful lifetime (however this part is totally dependent on the mage. you can start casting the spell 3 seconds before the start of the fight and then you'll not lose the pets' lifetime), but still it is better for shorter fights, e.g. duels (I do not expect my opponent to wait the 3 sec that I need to cast Mass Grave and exhume may not always ready, considering it now has a longer cooldown; nor do I need the full lifetime of the pets for the duel) or can still provide a DPS boost if you cast it while the boss explains his evil plans (you start the fight with pets ready instead of wasting 3 sec on the cast, or 1.5 sec recovering from exhumed graves and in the second case you also lose the chance to instantly summon your main pet in case it dies due to the cooldown).

You also lose the pets' guardian capabilities: if you can't summon them before having a target, they won't be able to defend you in case you are attacked, for example:
    a rogue attacks from stealth
    if the pets were summoned they would've attacked the rogue while you are stunned and at least would've damaged him if not killed. However, you cannot do that since you first need the target to start summoning, and all that is left for you is to wait in stun (not considering break free here....) to be chopped to death by the rogue

By removing the need to target to summon the spell will not get any worse, you will still be able to guide your pets to the right target and use the spell as it is now, but you will also get back the ability to precast and will be able to use the spell for non-aggressive aesthetic purposes.

PS just the comparison of the spell's "logic":
    What is in 1.11:
    1. check target
    2. if target hostile (red) or neutral (yellow) start summon, else (friendly/green) cancel
    3. send pets to target

What I suggest:
    1. check target
    2 (a). if no target:
    ---summon pets
    ---wait for the mage to attack, or be attacked
    ---send pets to attacked target (or attack the one who attacked the mage)
    2 (b). if someone is targeted:
    ---if red or yellow summon pets
    ------send pets to attack target.
    ---else (green)
    ------do as in 2(a)
    Last edited by Elknar; 10-17-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devicus View Post
    Isn't zoomancer a better necro spec now?
    I do not really care which spec is better or worse. It all depends on the player - a complete idiot will ruin even the best possible spec and vice versa.

My point is that even though this improvement in pet summoning does help a lot during a fight, it itself becomes an issue if you try to use the spell for other purposes (RPing, duels, self-defense, etc.).

+ Reply to Thread