+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just started doing experts, what marks should I focus on?

Default Just started doing experts, what marks should I focus on?

There's no way I can get anything from any marks of ascension before the expac, but I'm still wondering whether I should choose regular, greater or infernal marks for my reward? I'm barely geared for experts at the moment (392 int, 102 focus) and not sure I qualify for any raids yet.

It's not an easy choice. Some say get regular marks since I'm just starting on experts, some say get infernal. Noone has said get greater. Regular marks come 3 at a time and it's gear is cheaper, but is that worth missing out on days/weeks of infernal marks?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nargauzius View Post
    There's no way I can get anything from any marks of ascension before the expac, but I'm still wondering whether I should choose regular, greater or infernal marks for my reward? I'm barely geared for experts at the moment (392 int, 102 focus) and not sure I qualify for any raids yet.

It's not an easy choice. Some say get regular marks since I'm just starting on experts, some say get infernal. Noone has said get greater. Regular marks come 3 at a time and it's gear is cheaper, but is that worth missing out on days/weeks of infernal marks?
    Get plague marks and farm experts for gear. If u cant get yet in 10man & T2 raids because bad items, try sneak in weekly raids, players in those not normally need items at all, just need all what u need..but READ tactics before u do that!

Oh plaques are no problem, they drop off bosses. I'm not choosing them for the random reward. It's the marks that are limited via. I'm sitting on a random expert reward right now of either 3 regular marks, 2 greater or 2 infernal and I cannot choose.

So basically while I'm farming plaques I can save up marks. Which marks? I really want to choose infernal but there's enough people saying regular is better that I haven't decided yet.

I personally go for ID marks
    Even free cost too much now

Rift Disciple

At this point, it doesn't make a huge difference as to which type of mark you select. Regular Marks of Ascension will let you get more Planar Attunement experience. Greater and Infernal marks can only be used for gear and the costs per piece tend to be higher. Speaking of gear, ~4 weeks all existing gear will be replaced after hitting level 60, or even while leveling to level 60. The only benefit to getting better gear now is to ease the leveling process a bit, assuming that you are actually going to get the expansion.
    Mage Class Lead | RoF: 4/4 MS: 5/5
    I hate Clerics, Rogues(especially Hoss), and people whose names end in z (That means you Zeez!)

You only have about three weeks so ignore trying to get "geared" from experts. Get marks of ascension and turn them in for PA.

Use the quest gear from lvl 50-52 to start the new dungeon grinds in SL. Your old gear wont do much when this gear is so readily available.

If you really want to catch up get crafted gear sets off the auction hall or have someone craft them for ya.

Marks of ascension at this point is best for you.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 10-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Well that's a good question OP

I would say that getting the plagues gets the gear but as you say thats from bosses anyway.

You could go for Marks of Ascesncion as that's a little boost to help with SL content to start with (for example the Exodus of Storm Queen Dungeon isn't going to let a fresh 50 blitz it). Also can be traded in for PA xp.

Greater MOA might be the best option since that would allow you to get an unstable catalyst for your seal which woul give you a good stats boost.

Ignore ID marks as you won't get gear in time without master modes and raid weeklies.
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

I haven't tested SL content as I just hit 50 but I do have the expansion. New gear in the expansion is definitely on my mind but since I haven't tested any of it I don't know if it's comparable to plaque or regular mark gear, 50-52 quest gear is comparable to plaque or regular mark gear? That's similar to 'that other MMO', where your set that took you weeks to acquire is quickly replaced with greens from the new expansion. It's not always a bad thing.

Question: what rewards will SL dungeons offer? Will we still be able to get greater or infernal marks from them, or are they destined to be obsolete with no point in acquiring them? That's the real question I guess. Regular marks aren't obsolete, but right now the others are, and if the only way to acquire greater and infernal marks is to run vanilla content they'll be obsolete.

Go for HK marks (Greater Marks of Ascension) , you'll get them collected up much faster than ID marks and get your 4 set bonus sorted. Then you can start working on ID marks should you choose to.

I used to think it would be better to go straight for ID marks, but you're playing a much longer game then.

GMOA. *nods*

Ascendant

GMOAs. You'll get your 4 piece bonus much faster and it will be plenty enough for SL.

Can't I just buy the seal (radiant brilliance) off the AH? And what 4 piece bonus are you guys talking about? The regular mark set requires blighted cloth synergy crystal, and I don't know what a seal has to do with that.

The seal is a totally different thing, and yes you could buy it off the AH if you want to. Cheaper to save the mats and have a friend make it though.

The 4 piece bonus comes from a crystal much like the blighted synergy crystal, only it's for HK/ID gear and is bought from the vendors at Reclaimer's Hold. There is one for each soul tree and it effects your dps/heals etc... in soul specific ways. You get the 4 piece bonus from it when you have 4 HK and/or ID pieces equipped.

The Blighted Crystal will only work with T2 dungeon vendor gear.

Oh HK and ID use the same crystal. Didn't know that. Rather than log in and port to those places to check out the gear I looked on the wiki, and of course the wiki doesn't mention their sets.

You also mentioned you get greater marks faster than infernal, but each expert reward is your choice of 2 of either. It's choice of 6 plaques, 3 marks, 2 greater, 2 infernal. I highly doubt greater marks will drop in expert dungeons, or will they?

The only way you'll get greater marks faster is if you hop into RotP or HK. The big reason to go for GMoA rather than IMoA is that GMoA gear costs less. In other words, you only have to save up 80 GMoA for HK shoulders compared to... 120 IMoA for ID shoulders? So even if you could get GMoA and IMoA at the same rate you'd still pick up your 4 piece bonus quicker by going for GMoA.

And yes, the 4pc bonus is definitely worth it over just getting MoA and trading it for PA. However, considering how soon SL is coming if you do get your 4pc bonus first I would then stop picking up GMoA and focus purely on MoA for PA.

Telaran

To answer some of your other questions with regards to gear in SL:

The devs have stated via a combination of the live streams and I think a couple forum posts that if you have ID gear, it should last you roughly halfway through the new levels before you start replacing it (so around levels 54-56).

Given that, I'd say it's safe to assume that if you have HK gear, you should expect to start replacing it around 52-54, anything less and I would guess that early dungeon blues would be a side-grade and purples a slight upgrade right from the get-go. I would expect quest greens to not be straight upgrades until a couple levels in.

With that said, I would honestly recommend just going for regular marks to get PA. If you are close to a piece of gear with the higher-end marks, get the gear - it will definitely help as you start in SL.

Assuming you start today with 7 random rewards available and do all 7 today and 1 every day moving forward, you could get 66 Greater or Infernal marks by the time Storm Legion launches. That's not enough to buy any piece of ID gear and enough to get just 1 piece of HK. You could get more by doing the weeklies, but not enough for another piece of HK gear.

Get regular marks for PA and then use the plaques you acquire to upgrade your first tier to the second tier of trade-in + plaque gear if you want to, or just save those for PA as well.

As for rewards from SL dungeons - the beta is still under NDA, so no one could tell you for sure. However, I would expect new currencies for the new end-game gear sets. They may add in the ability to buy PA with greater and infernal marks once SL launches so those that have a bunch socked away will have some use for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast