Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: LGW's Storm Legion Chat Thread

lgw

Default LGW's Storm Legion Chat Thread

What is this thread about ?
    Mainly: Mages & Raiding
    Also: Raid Prep, Raid Setup, etc
    (NB: During progression I might withhold some details per usual custom.)
    Other things might come up randomly or if I feel I have to say something about them, but don't expect anything. O/C you're free to bring up any other content and ask any question, but please accept if I ask you to take it to another thread.

Why this thread ?
    Considering all the RL stuff and that I'm still very active in GW2 PVP, I won't have time (or nerve) to partake in as much forum discussions as I used to during Rift vanilla. Yet I'm a forum junkie and I enjoy a healthy and productive discussion.
    Hence I'll have this one thread for all my ramblings, insights, random bits of info, comments, etc. And I figure a few other regulars will like a good go-to thread for all this stuff as well.

Thread Rules
    1. Be friendly, mannered and helpful.
    2. I do my research well, so it is a fair assumption that what I write is right...
    3. ... and this applies to many other regulars here as well.
    4. Yet none of us is perfect. But if you disagree, you will need to present explanation and evidence why we are worng.
    5. If you are unsure... ask !
    6. And if I ask you to drop a topic, then do it.
    If you can't agree to all of the above... just G T F O !
    You're free to make your own thread, just don't piss on mine.

Happy chatting !

PS: I'll try to keep the most interesting info linked in my sig, or ideally in the OP -- if Trion finally manages to hand out some edit permissions...
    Last edited by lgw; 10-13-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

lgw

So yeah, that stupid ol' bugger kept silent for more than two months and now he's back... how come ?!
    Well, I found some pretty good mood on our TS after I joined after the fist SL beta, and than Trion threw up 1.11 PTS notes and they showed that they actually understood a bunch of fundamental problems. So I took some money and gave them a short with the year deal with SL for free (as it fit my RL plans quite nicely as well). So yeah, back I am...
    Yet I do hope that they take the good from many awesome raid encounters, cut the slack and bugs and fix some annoyances (CQ power !) and deliver a nice juicy new raid for SL. And I hope for some challenging dungeons 1.0 style again -- maybe a few of you still remember... But I don't see me touching PVP in Rift with a 10ft pole anytime soon, or at least not until they fix a whole bunch of issues and start adding actual content (CQ was a 1st step I appreciate, but it's still a long way ahead).

GW2 vs Rift
    So yes, I play both. Here be the reasons, if you care...
    GW2: Smooth, active combat system ! Awesome shiny PVP, and support to make something of it in the long run !
    Rift: Best character customisation with interesting soul mixes seen to date ! Raids !

Till Storm Legion
    Well for now NDA is active, so we can only discuss the notes on the PTS forum...
    So well, they definately look interesting. They nicely fixed a bunch of combat related stuff and the Mage updates are full of awesome (kudos Kervik !) They fix a bunch of general issues, make each soul much sleeker in its design and add some QOL stuff as well. But I do hope that Kervik throws us a bone and publishes the new spell power coefficients some time, without us having to do all that tedious research again.
    So over the next few days I'll take a closer look at each soul and some general mechanics and ramble about it... any maybe, just maybe if support finally helps me to fix my PTS client (corrupted data on a fresh download FTL !), I'll do some practical tests. But I don't see me parsing just yet, as between (1) beta changes (2) new gear (3) level = point increase things will change so drastically until L60/SL, I don't feel investing that time just yet. O/C if you're interested there's a nice thread just over there.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Champion

QOL stuff
    QOL?

Side note, I'm loving the dominator changes, And dummies, can not accurately show the kind of DPS a dominator can truely dish out. Just wanted to point this out. Even in a PvP or a PvE environment, some of the spells, and their new damage, can be quite... lethal (Imo + I think we get a true hard-interupt and possibly without any kind of DR? Would have to test that out for pvp though)

I do think that Dominator could highly benefit from the harbringer in expansion. (Dom = syngerizes well with Air Damage souls, and Death Damage Souls. Harb, has been shown to use lighting(air) Just like Dom synergizes well with SC, ele, Necro, and Lock Pretty well. (And I'm excluding the pyro/dom pvp specs, cause I consider that more of a gimmic synergizing, more towards the favor of heavy pyro, when i'm in refrence to heavy dom synergy.)

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    QOL?
    Sorry, my bad.
    QOL = quality of life [changes]

Was mainly referring to things like: "[Archon] Patronís Rage: Deals Fire damage over 6 seconds. Refreshes all active Archon Auras on the Mage after 6 seconds."

But oh well, let's start with...

1.11 PTS Dominator
    Yeah, I totally agree with you Sinister. Been a Dom fan and using it way since before it became popolar (and in fact the 1.2? changes made Dom a bit more straight forward, but really killed some nice tricks you could pull back then.)
    Anyway, the most important change I found PVE wise is that mob auto-attacks will proc your funky hit yourself spells (also for Warlock), which makes it much more usable. It was already a great subsoul during ID, and with yet better utility and the core damage mechanic working reliably as well, I really some potential for Dom specs tailored to counter or employ specific mechanics of certain encounters.
    And yes, the synergy looks great -- Death+Warlock, Air+Stormcaller and whatever Harbinger may bring as well. And then we have that crazy comeback of Zoomancer -- even if toned down to reasonable levels a nice tool, especially if you want to bring on demand burst damage.
    Personal highlights: reliable Reflective Presence, AOE spells (Walls !), possible Pain Armor shenanigans
    Wildstar PVP inc

He is ze back!

But aye, can't be bothered to do too much DPS testing at 50 either. We'll be way above any requirements anyway, so mostly looking forward to level 60 opening up on beta

I'm actually a bit sad about the removal of some of the actual CC abilities of Dom, though. Mostly from a 5-man dungeon run PoV, where some well played crowd control could allow you to beat harder content earlier. But the enchanter/psionicist days are very much over I guess.
    - Hvabehar

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    possible Pain Armor shenanigans

*casts Transmogrify on raid trash mob*

*spams Sacrifice Life: Mana*

X)
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    *casts Transmogrify on raid trash mob*

*spams Sacrifice Life: Mana*

X)

!?!?!!?!?!!!!?!?!?!

I think My head just exploded.

Seriously though, I can't help but think of some synergy between some survivability souls, (chloro) Paired with Dom to make him into a beefy tank, using Pain Armor, Mass Exhausting a huge opposing force, and just letting yourself get blasted with dps, so you take out those exhausted. It brings up some really interesting PvP Possibilities. :tongue:
    Last edited by SinisterDeath; 10-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.

lgw

Hrhr, I see you folks get the right idea about Dom !
    Yeah, stacking all endurance, derping in red sh!t and yet having an excu... erm... good reason for it was my totally what I was planning.

And hey Calmethar ! /waves
    What CC are you referring to specifically ? The only CC stuff I see removed is Mental Shock / Disorient -- yeah, bit sad, but OTOH I hardly ever used them those days, except when trolling in PVP as 51 Dom. Incompetence had some use together with Spark, but even that was kinda niche.
    Making things a bit more straight forward is good to make Dom more accessable and give better synergies. And once you have enough straight CC (which frankly we have by 0 CD squirrel alone), Hit Yourself > hard CC because more often than not the target will be immune (DR in PVP, general issue in raids).
    Wildstar PVP inc

lgw

Anyways, on to the next soul...

1.11 PTS Archon
    This is a rather easy one. Not much has changes at the basics, but there's still a lot of interesting stuff in the details. Cut some slack, made some strange or niche things more straight forward and generally more useable, so a good overhaul a long the line "never change a running system". Just removing PS from 0p is sad, but oh well, can't have everything... let's just hope that we get some decent zero points in other souls, so there is choice.
    Two things stick out, and they are the upgrades to raid mobility. Spark Shower is straight forward. It becomes real interesting with Point to Point -- without being able to quantify it, this is one of those joker abilities that can and will make encounters a whole lot easier if used correctly.
    And lumping all above together, you might even have a reason to bring a dedicated Archon to PVP again, in particular in something like an organised CQ group.
    I still would have hoped for some way to deal with multiple auras overwriting themselves, to make Archon a more viable hybrid compared to the special snowflake it has right now, but oh well... And it's interesting that the gift is simply +1% damage (our only together with Pyro). Could've seen some buff related gift (like +.75 dmg & +1% increased buff duration), but you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, now you ya ?
    Wildstar PVP inc

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Anyways, on to the next soul...

1.11 PTS Archon
    This is a rather easy one. Not much has changes at the basics, but there's still a lot of interesting stuff in the details. Cut some slack, made some strange or niche things more straight forward and generally more useable, so a good overhaul a long the line "never change a running system". Just removing PS from 0p is sad, but oh well, can't have everything... let's just hope that we get some decent zero points in other souls, so there is choice.
    Two things stick out, and they are the upgrades to raid mobility. Spark Shower is straight forward. It becomes real interesting with Point to Point -- without being able to quantify it, this is one of those joker abilities that can and will make encounters a whole lot easier if used correctly.
    And lumping all above together, you might even have a reason to bring a dedicated Archon to PVP again, in particular in something like an organised CQ group.
    I still would have hoped for some way to deal with multiple auras overwriting themselves, to make Archon a more viable hybrid compared to the special snowflake it has right now, but oh well... And it's interesting that the gift is simply +1% damage (our only together with Pyro). Could've seen some buff related gift (like +.75 dmg & +1% increased buff duration), but you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, now you ya ?
    First thing I thought when I saw Point to Point was... Wow! But OP.

Spark Shower looks fun.

Too bad Archon will go back to 1 button spam again for DPS. DPS Archoning to gain an extra 1kish DPS from Lifeleech/Voidbolt and Power Drain toggling will now be less DPS with the changes.

And about the Gift... I was hoping to see + Healing % per point in Archon and perhaps even Dominator. Probably not realistic though.
    Last edited by Soul sky; 10-15-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    Too bad Archon will go back to 1 button spam again for DPS. DPS Archoning to gain an extra 1kish DPS from Lifeleech/Voidbolt and Power Drain toggling will now be less DPS with the changes.
    In theory, yes.
    In theory, it would be cool if you hat to actually manage buff uptimes, or choose something like A OR B to keep up, etc etc.

But let's face it, in practise 95% of the people are more than bothered enough to not stand in sh!t, apply the usual debuffs to any adds, time Power Drain und still mash their DPS macro in between. Care to guess what would happen if an Archon's core rotation would require actual skills ?
    You already solo-Mage'd ID once... wanna do it again ?
    Wildstar PVP inc

I'm a big fan of adding 0.5% Healing Done to both the Archon and possibly Warlock Gifts.
    Right now I think we're going to be 51/61pt Chloro or bust.

Back on the topic of Archon:
    -Point to Point is going to be amazing and quite possibly way too good. I'm looking forward to it immensely.
    PtP chains across Whitefall Steppes anyone?
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 10-15-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    Nope.

Am I actually missing something? What change was made to Power Drain everyone refers to? I did not find any in the patch notes...
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I'm a big fan of adding 0.5% Healing Done to both the Archon and possibly Warlock Gifts.
    Right now I think we're going to be 51/61pt Chloro or bust.

Back on the topic of Archon:
    -Point to Point is going to be amazing and quite possibly way too good. I'm looking forward to it immensely.
    PtP chains across Whitefall Steppes anyone?
    I really do not think the PtP ability has the range to make the major difference.
    Also I can't recall - it was declared at some point that teleports will force you to drop sourcestones... Maybe PtP will be affected?
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifyer View Post
    Am I actually missing something? What change was made to Power Drain everyone refers to? I did not find any in the patch notes...
    It has a -10 charge cost and a 1 second cooldown.
    So you cannot toggle it as quickly and it eats your charge real fast if you charge toggle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast