+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chloromancer - Void Life still best?

Rift Disciple

Default Chloromancer - Void Life still best?

Hi everyone,

I took a break from Rift for a few months. I wanted to ensure I'm playing my Chloromancer in a way that is up-to-date with any changes I missed while I was away.

Void Life spamming used to be the norm for 5-man solo healing. Is that still the case?

I run a 51 Chlo/10 Lock/5 Ele build.

Currently, I lead with Radiant Spores. If it's a boss fight, I follow up with Withering Vine. Then I spam Void Life and use Natural Healing when it procs via Opportunity. I supplement with Bloom, Flourish and any CDs as needed. I don't even have Vile Spores, Ruin or Nature's Touch on my hotbars (though I suppose I should keep Ruin in case I need to move a lot). I use Entropic Veil whenever I'm at full charge unless I know I'm about to need it for some spike damage. I also work in Sacrifice Life: Mana every once in awhile to keep my mana pretty full without losing too much life at one time (and let my health fill up on its own within a few seconds of Void Life spamming). I know this is a DPS/HPS loss, but it keeps me from having to Reconstruct or drink between every fight - allowing me to keep up with faster tanks. Also, with liberal use of Entropic Veil, I often don't have much charge available to Reconstruct with after a fight. If there's a better way to keep my mana up, I'm open to it.

Is that a decent "rotation"?

What abilities do you use when you have to keep moving during a fight (besides the obvious of Ruin, Bloom and Flourish)? Is there a decent macro for a "on the move"-type key? I'm not very familiar with macros, but I can see this being handy.

I do use mouseover macros for my healing and cleansing abilities. I use Natural Healing between fights to help top someone off (or Bloom/Flourish if I'm lazy). Some people are kind enough to drink - others, not so much - or things are just moving so rapidly they don't want to stop. Since I have practically infinite mana in this build, I don't mind topping folks off.

Also, what are the good times to use Stream of Reclamation or Nature's Fury? I'm having a hard time ever using Nature's Fury because it can pull stray mobs from pretty far away and I'm not sure when I'm better off using Stream of Reclamation over continuing to spam Void Life.

I know it's odd, but every once in a great while, I get a PUG tank who is just insane and pulls so much at a time that the healer can't handle it solo. This happened over the weekend. I was picked for the Support role, so I stepped in when it became obvious that we needed more heals. Is this still an OK build to use to Support heal? I am aware there are split Chloro/Lock (and perhaps other) builds that provide higher DPS, but I'm not a fan of how the pre-50 Chloros play (what can I say...Void Life spam is easy and lets me pay attention to my surroundings more). I just throw up LGV and play pretty much the same as when MT healing.

Thank you so much for your help! Any additional Chloro tips would be appreciated as well.

EDIT: I forgot to ask for advice for healing during raids (MT or raid-wide healing).
    Last edited by Kelson; 10-03-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Sword of Telara

Anything you could possibly ever want to know about Chloromancer can be found in EternalBrown's guide:

http://bluedots.org/content.php?220-...romancer-Guide

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Stream of Reclamation should be renamed to Stream of Worthlessness Unless I Need Charge Quickly.

Nature's Fury takes a bit of tinkering to get used to, but if there are 4 mobs close to each other with a good amount of HP, it's safe to cast without pulling.

Should honestly have very few problems in T2s healing in 51 chloro, even if tank is pulling the entire instance. I haven't updated the guide in a month, but nothing's really changed (though rewrite pending for Storm Legion).
    Last edited by BrownsMageNerfDelivery; 10-03-2012 at 07:41 AM.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Rift Disciple

Thank you That's a nice comprehensive guide and will be very helpful to reference.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    Stream of Reclamation should be renamed to Stream of Worthlessness Unless I Need Charge Quickly.
    I prefer to think of it as Green Laser I Like to Cast Because It Looks Cool.

disclaimer: I only use it while goofing off.

if people die in t2s while you keep spamming void life theyre doing it wrong
    tell 'em
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Plane Walker

I have found another (infrequent) case where Stream is useful: You're raid healing and keeping up Radiant Spores, and you have no healing to do right now, but you can anticipate large raid damage in a few seconds... and more attractive if you already used Flourish: A full Stream channel will boost spore proc rates through the roof in the last few seconds, to something like 55 percent.. I have noticed this will help raid recovery after a Subjugation or Maelforge's raid DOT if you time it well.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Rift Disciple

I have another question based on what I read in the above-mentioned guide.

Keep in mind I don't have the HK set yet (I'm just T1 geared).

Since I use the Warlock/Elementalist variant (suggested for non-geared types), I use Opportunity quite a bit to help fill in some tank healing. However, I don't do it like the guide suggests. I use my Opportunity procs for Natural Healing since it's such a huge heal, but I never want to cast it since it takes so long.

I know that Nature's Touch is the preferred proc, but I tried using it in an instance tonight and I had a hard time because often times the key would be red, because the tank had switched to a target that was out of range or that I wasn't facing, etc. This made it very difficult to heal smoothly and keep a good rotation going. I tried targetting through a DPS, then a different DPS, but they were both AOEing so didn't have targets selected.

I know I do less damage selecting Natural Healing for my Opportunity procs and I know it doesn't contribute to group healing (just the target), but it's a huge heal. Is this a bad strategy? How would you deal with the targeting issues?

I really want to get away from the clunky feel I experienced (and I experienced pre-50 with my Chloro). Void Life with an instant tossed in here and there plays very smoothly for me. Working in cast time spells or having to adjust my targeting a lot seems to break that flow.

Thank you again for your advice.

Plane Walker

Natural Healing is a great use for Opportunity, the fact that it's a non-travel time heal is valuable. But an instant NT is even better. You might want to make a macro of cast nature's touch, cast natural healing for use with Opp procs. that would cast NT if you have an enemy target in range, or NH if you didn't.

and don't assist tanks or dps by default, is my advice. Target the higher HP mobs so you don't have to switch targets as much, but always know what you are targeting.
    Mantissa@Greybriar 7/8 raid tiers cleared <Rekt>

Rift Disciple

Thank you, Drabk.

I've been looking for a way to free up 1 or 2 hotbar slots anyway (we have a LOT of situational abilities with 51 Chloro - all taking up space), so I think I'll give that a try. It sounds like a good way around the targeting issues, combined with using a mob as a target.

What about Vile Spores? Is it worth using on an Opportunity proc? I'm trying to figure out how to eek out a bit more DPS without making things super complicated (I noticed my DPS is very low - about 200ish), so am trying to adjust my style a bit as necessary. If it's a good option, how would I work this into a macro? I'm not so good with macros, but know a little bit (since I use mouseover macros for healing and cleansing abilities).

I used to target mobs, but found targeting through the tank to require less switching - at least sometimes. Depending on the tank, they either switch targets a lot or they don't. Tab-targetting can be dangerous and sometimes I have to tab a few times to get to the high HP mob in the bunch. I was trying to avoid that downtime right at pull/pre-pull if I could. I suppose I just need to get better at tab-targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
    Thank you, Drabk.

I've been looking for a way to free up 1 or 2 hotbar slots anyway (we have a LOT of situational abilities with 51 Chloro - all taking up space), so I think I'll give that a try. It sounds like a good way around the targeting issues, combined with using a mob as a target.

What about Vile Spores? Is it worth using on an Opportunity proc? I'm trying to figure out how to eek out a bit more DPS without making things super complicated (I noticed my DPS is very low - about 200ish), so am trying to adjust my style a bit as necessary. If it's a good option, how would I work this into a macro? I'm not so good with macros, but know a little bit (since I use mouseover macros for healing and cleansing abilities).

I used to target mobs, but found targeting through the tank to require less switching - at least sometimes. Depending on the tank, they either switch targets a lot or they don't. Tab-targetting can be dangerous and sometimes I have to tab a few times to get to the high HP mob in the bunch. I was trying to avoid that downtime right at pull/pre-pull if I could. I suppose I just need to get better at tab-targeting.
    If you want to increase DPS in any chloromancer:

always be casting damaging abilities (Nature's Touch, Vile Spores, and Ruin)

always use Nature's Fury on cooldown, even single-target.

use Wild Growth whenever it's up (increases everyone's DPS including yours)

otherwise use your charge on Entropic Veil.

Of course if you have to heal better, that takes priority over DPS, since sometimes direct heals are needed and Nature's Fury will not heal as much proportional to its damage since it's technically an AoE attack.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 10-04-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

@Drabk: I still find Stream of Reclamation of limited value in such cases, but it's personal choice. Yes, Radiant Spores has no heal cap, but a full channel is a loss of 2 Void Life heals from either veil (because SoR only procs Veil heals on the first hit).

@Kelson: Opportunity is a bit tricky to use because A) it's an inconsistent proc and B) it's very easy to use on something else by mistake. Are you spamming keys? Avoid that if you want to get the most out of your Opportunity procs. In T2s, Natural Healing is usually fine for Opportunity since the raid shouldn't be taking damage (unless it's an unavoidable mechanic, which usually requires an AoE heal regardless). Hybrid specs are also a better bet for higher DPS, though you generally don't want to do this unless you know you have enough SP to justify it and are comfortable enough to react to spikes.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Rift Disciple

Thank you both for your help!

The ony thing I spam is Void Life, which won't eat my Opportunity proc (it just might slightly delay my using it with something else is all).

I will create that Nature's Touch/Natural Healing Macro and use it for procs. I will try to use Ruin and Nature's Fury every time they're off CD so I can eek out a bit more DPS as well. I will also use Wild Growth more liberally instead of saving for big fights (I'm really bad about hording CDs on all my characters).

Hopefully that will make things a bit better for DPS without sacrificing the flow and healing ability of what I'm doing now.

Plane Walker

For times when healing is less urgent, Withering Vines and Searing Vitality dots can be cast.
    You can also slightly 'manage' the dot from Vile Spores so it's up as much as possible.
    -------------------------
    [eXile] Allillos - Mage - Zaviel

I think most of the stuff has already been covered but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in for kicks.

Chloromancers can easily switch focus between either healing or doing additional dps and can also veil dance between tank and raid heals - these are probably their two biggest advantages over a cleric healer (although some will argue than mien dancing is a valid way for clerics to share one of those traits). Do note that a chloro should always prioritize healing but as long as no one needs heals why waste a high heal/low dmg ability or precious cast time/GCDs on a healing ability when you have tools like Nature's Fury at your disposal?

Heals
    Tank - If the tank is taking a LOT of dmg then your best bet is Synth/LBV along with Void Life and Nature's Touch (on Opportunity or HK 4pc Crystal procs). If the tank is not taking a boatload of spike dmg (such as is the case in the majority of 5 man dungeons) then you might as well use LGV and focus more on Vile Spores and Ruin and only use VL if you are required to move a lot while Blooming the tank anytime he drops below about 80%. If using LGV while tank healing make sure to save most of your direct heals such as Bloom, Flourish, Natural Healing (only on instant), and Essence Surge for the tank since you'll already be providing a lot of raid heals for everyone else just by dealing life dmg. Natural Conversion can also be a life saver - I'm thinking about mechanics like the boulder of destruction from Gurloth (sp?) in GP although there are several other places it comes in handy as well.

Raid - If the tank is not your priority (or if you're using LGV while tank healing) then Vile Spores and Ruin are both better than VL provided you're not overwriting the first tick of their DoTs.

Both - Radiant Spores is nice to keep active and especially shortly before incoming raid dmg but in 5 mans it may be a better use of your GCD to throw out a Ruin which does heals + dmg or even popping an extra VS because both of those abilities are guaranteed heals whereas RS is not. Of course, in 10 or 20 man raids the chances of someone proccing RS go up significantly plus they're typically doing more dmg which means a bigger proc. Also, Withering Vine is only useful if you're LGV tank healing (as a booster for the tank) or if most of the group is within melee range. While LBV healing and provided most of the group is not in melee you should almost never need WV unless you want something to proc your trinkets/greaters.

DPS
    Key abilities - Natural Splendor (best AoE dmg ability), Nature's Fury (second best AoE dmg), Corrosion (third best AoE dmg), Nature's Touch (best single target direct damage), Vile Spores (best st dd+dot), Ruin (second best st dd+dot), Stream of Reclamation (best st dps channel), Wild Growth (+10% dmg, w00t!).

DPS for a chloro is very situationally dependent. Because of NS's 2m cd reserve it for use on really big groups once the tank has full agro - provided you have at least one mob with extra high HP that you can target off of so your cast doesn't end halfway through because the mob died so fast. NF is another situational one that in most cases, as long as the tank knows you'll be using it and is quick to pick up mobs you accidentally agro with it you can pretty much keep on cd unless heals are needed. For single target pulls, NF is still a very strong dmg ability as it does about the same amount of dmg as a VS or Ruin but does it all at once rather than spacing it over 6 seconds. Void Life does much less damage but because it has no travel time and only takes one second to apply the first tick of dmg it can be great to use on fast dying mobs or mobs that have already been taken down considerably and will die before your VS or NF can hit it. Corrosion can boost your dps by a couple of hundred easily but can also lead to you dying from cleave or having a mob agro you (since the tank will have less time to get it off you before it kills you due to you being closer to it).

The best thing about chloro is that to do more heals you can simply increase your life based dps. I can quite easily vary between 400 dps and 3k dps depending on the pull and likewise can get anywhere from 30 hps to over 5k hps (4k+ not counting Sicaron). The best advice I can offer is to learn the group you are with and what their capabilities/weaknesses are as fast as you possibly can so that you can adjust what you provide based on that knowledge. Have a good tank and terribad dps with you? Nature's Fury as often as you possibly can. Tank doesn't know how to keep agro or the dps is just so fast that you are constantly having to heal everyone (yourself included)? Go LGV and try to target stuff that has enough HP left for your spells to reach them (ignore low HP targets unless there's nothing else available). Undergeared but skilled tank who is just a bit squishy and decent dpsers? Synth on tank and focus on VL + NT and let your dps worry about killing stuff.
    Last edited by Frailaq; 10-11-2012 at 10:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast