+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling a Mage Fast

Soulwalker

Default Leveling a Mage Fast

OK.

My main is a Cleric. I enjoy it for sure. PVP sucks. Just get burned if I get near ANYONE.

I have a MAGE that I would like to level to have some fun DPS.

What is a great PVE build for leveling this toon fast?

Does anyone have any good tactics for leveling a toon fast?

Suggestions are all welcomed.

Thanks

SparkDad
    50 Cleric, Silkweb

Soulwalker

Necrolock is a great beginner spec for questing/leveling. It's easy to play, it has infinite mana, a tanking/dps pet, lots of health regen abilities and a few "o ****" spells like Mortality.

Ascendant

I never cared for Necro/Lock when leveling my mage. At some point I switched to pyro/chloro and that worked out pretty well.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkdad View Post
    to have some fun DPS.

Necro/lock till 32 then stormcaller/chloro all the way. 28 points in stormcaller for charged field and 13 in chloro for improved radiant spores. After that dump some points into archon for mana return and get some nice healing greaters. You can farm mobs like a cleric.
    Bisqquit | R53

If you want to level fast you make a chloro build and a dps build and simply do dungeons (queuing as healer and dps) and Instant Adventures.

Questing is very slow for leveling.

If you can get friends to power level you then it is even faster and build is irrelevant.

As an exercise once we took a returning player from level 1 to fully raid geared and an Akylios kill in 3 days.

This was before Ember Isle was restricted to level 48+ and you could make a level every 15 minutes.

Have two specs minimum.

First spec: healer spec. Use this for dungeons and IA when the IA needs a healer. Fill your chloro to the max, put off points into warlock for opportunity. Then whatever.

Second spec: dps spec. I used maximum pyro with opportunity from warlock as my off points. I found that npcs died very quickly when soloing. I also used this for instances.

Third spec optional spec: quest grinding spec. I didn't use this because I did instances, but if you don't like pyro or pyro/chlor for soloing, get a necro/lock or ele/lock spec.

Shadowlander

As above, Dungeon run at every oppertunity, Make sure you have the 2 spec to Q as support/dps and Healer/ 70% of the time healer gets you a dungeon pop fast.
    Thats pretty much a 1 lvl increase per dungeon.

I did dungeons for lvl 20 to 26 then would pvp the last 3-4 lvl's. then start again with the dungeons @ lvl 30 till 36, then pvp till 40.... repeat

Squeeze some Instant adventure inbetween when it's quiet and your golden.
    Roll chloro as one spec and I stuck with pyro/whatever for the dps.

May as well enjoy the Pvp for the last 3 or so lvl's per range of 10 as it's pretty much your only time to be capable of holding your own. Once you hit 50 you die in pvp faster than you can cast a spell and if you think your cleric is squishy...... thats a long old grind b4 you get decent prestige so you may as well enjoy the early ride imo.

gl
    Strumming your mum with my banjo since 09

Dungeon runs are not the way to go. You only want to do dungeon runs when you are close to the same level as the mobs. But as you out level them then they start to give bad xp. I have leveled several toons and the fastest way to level, imo, is to run quest until level ten, then run instants adventures, while hitting all invasion, rifts and foot holds until level 15 then que for dungeons until you out level the mobs for the current dungeons, then go back to IA, Rifts, Foothold and invasions. WFs are also good xp.

Also, I know that a lot of mage say necolock but I happen to think it is a horrible leveling spec and that people only use it as it is easy. I run a warlock/chloro using life leach and withering vines until level ten then switch over to a chloro/sc spec tagging with withering vines, Radiant spores then AE them down. As long as you don't over pull this spec kills faster then necro/lock. But if you do want a tank pet then I would recommend elementalist over necro. As the ele tank pet is much, much, much better then the necro one.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 10-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Ascendant

I used necrolock forever too. Loved it.

And dungeons are horrible exp. I just leveled a warrior doing mostly instant adventures (your gear will suck though).

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    And dungeons are horrible exp. I just leveled a warrior doing mostly instant adventures (your gear will suck though).
    What she said. Dungeons suck for XP but give some of the best rep and gear as well as preparing you for raid mechanics whereas questing or instant adventures are probably your best bet for just pure XP grinding.

For actual lvling there isn't really much out there for mages besides grouping up with someone else... either go mostly chloro so you can heal them or mostly dps and hope they can keep you alive or that you can kill anything before it gets to you. If you are insistent on solo lvling then you'll want at least 8 in chloro and later on 11 and then 14 before putting everything else in Pyro or Lock for higher dps or Necro or Ele for pet based survivability.

Necro/lock builds start becoming interesting as you near lvl 50 but if you're going to use something like a 38/28 necro/lock then use the dps necro pet, not the tank pet. Open with Necrosis then let your pet pull agro while you dot it up... by the time dots are stacked and you get off one Plague Bolt you'll eventually pull agro so throw a Wither on your target and hit it with another two Plague Bolts or a Soul Purge if you or your pet need any heals and it'll be dead before it gets to you. If you pull a second mob accidentally you can always fear them or use one of your snares/stuns but try to stick to mostly single target pulls if you can. It's fast and easy and doesn't require much gear (even a fresh 50 can use this quite easily) as well as providing you with feign death which can save you many trips to the graveyard.

Once you get some decent gear (4pc HK) including the chloro crystal, the Token of Warding from RoS, and the two shielding greaters (one from water raid rift, the other from vendor in IPP) then you can go 28 sc, 25 pyro, 13 chloro (key talent is spark, key abilities are withering vine to pull with, radiant spores, flame bolt to increase dps, forked lightning and lightning field for AoE or thunderbolt 3x followed by ice shear and a bunch of cloudburst spam with the occasional instant icicle thrown in) and pull massive 8 mob groups before AoE nuking them down while providing enough heals to yourself from WV and RS to keep yourself alive. This spec is incredible for mob farming to lvl PA provided that nobody else gets in your way and pulls half of your mobs out from under you. You will have a very low initial agro due to low dps but as soon as you get all the mobs pulled to you it's game over for them because nothing beats SC at AoE dmg (other than champ, sab, and cab but those are all other classes ).
    Last edited by Frailaq; 10-11-2012 at 08:37 AM.

If you want to level as fast as humanly possible, this is my suggestion.

First off, get to level 20. Just quest to 10, then IA to 20. 20 takes such a short time I really haven't bothered trying to maximize my efficiency. After you hit 20, you want to mentor yourself down to level 13. (Queue for instant adventure and drop, right click your char portrait, set ascended level to 13)

Your spec will be Pyro/Lock/Archon. At this level, this is the best AoE grinding spec I have been able to make. The SC/Chloro stuff really doesn't work at such a low level with scaled back stats. The things you absolutely NEED are Firestorm, Life Leech, and Flicker. You can get all those at level 20. After that, spend your points towards Backdraft, Fire Shield, and Draining Bolt. These are simply quality of life spells that will improve your ability to do what you are doing. Make sure you are keeping Pyro maxed out for your level.

So, what we actually do with this is head out to the Scarred Mire in Freemarch. From here it's simple, round up as many mobs as you can, pull them together, AoE them down before you die. You should easily be able to hit the 8 mob cap on firestorm every pull. Try to make a loop around the monument in the center, as you kill more mobs you'll start to realize they are organize into packs pretty well. I believe I had it down to 6 specific pulls at my best, and the mobs will always be respawned in time.

Few tips

-The Iron Archers hit way harder than everything else. Always pull them last, pull everything else to them.
    -Pull with flame bolt/searing vitality, always stay mobile until you're ready to firestorm. Weave in life leech as needed for survival. If you can pull 8 mobs from 1 spot without moving, might as well open on 3 or 4 with life leech before they reach you.
    -Utilize flicker and whatever movement tricks you have to keep the pace up. If you are bahmi or high elf, use your racial! You will get around the map much faster, getting you kills + exp that much faster.
    -Exp vial is obviously very helpful, since you will get 100% of the bonus due to only killing mobs.

For reference, that last time I did this (about 1 month ago), I went from level 20 to level 50 in 6 hours /played time. That's averaging out to 12 minutes a level. Obviously the lower levels are a bit below 12 and the higher levels are a bit above 12, I think 49-50 took around 25 minutes. I absolutely hate leveling in MMOs, so I make it my goal to try and find the fastest possible ways to do it. This is what I have come up for with a mage. I'm not saying it's the absolute best, but it is the best I know of. If anyone knows a faster way, please let me know!

Oh, and you can also use this method for the other classes. Inquisitor/car for clerics, Nightblade/Riftstalker hybrid for rogues (Rift Scavenger in RS tree is the key to this builds success, combined with the aoe tools in NB (WF/FC)). I'm still working out the best combo for warriors, I'm really not a big warrior person.

If you want more specific details let me know, just don't want to make this wall of text any bigger. Hope this helps you level fast.
    Last edited by Patchouli; 10-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Aezariel ~ P50 - 8/8 ID

+ Reply to Thread