+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob question - need a simple answer!

Default Noob question - need a simple answer!

Ok before anyone trolls me, there are tons of great guides on here for mage builds. That being said what of these builds would best suit someone who wants to decently lend aid to dungeons and raids? I want to join a guild but before doing so id like to know a bit of what i should bring tothe table. Is pyro lock a good build for pve/pvp or does it tend to lean towards one.
    Also have a necro mage and not sure what spec goes well with that. Thank you in advance! Dont waste your time if your going to troll it just makes you like 15 and virginy

Rift Chaser

Mages are very versatile, and guild will be looking for a mage who can play more than just 1 spec. You should familiarize yourself with Healing ( chloro builds, 51 and Pyro/chloro ), DPS ( Pyro lock 38/28 or 36/30 ), Archon ( 51 archon/ 15 dom ) , and PVP ( Pyro/dom )

Mages bring alot to the table and limiting yourself to only 1 spec is not a good thing. Although you may excel and one or the other, being able to play other specs when needed is a good perk when joining a guild.

Try them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadezz View Post
    Mages are very versatile, and guild will be looking for a mage who can play more than just 1 spec. You should familiarize yourself with Healing ( chloro builds, 51 and Pyro/chloro ), DPS ( Pyro lock 38/28 or 36/30 ), Archon ( 51 archon/ 15 dom ) , and PVP ( Pyro/dom )

Mages bring alot to the table and limiting yourself to only 1 spec is not a good thing. Although you may excel and one or the other, being able to play other specs when needed is a good perk when joining a guild.

Try them all.
    Well atm i have a pyro/chloro but to lvl by myself as im on a dead shard i used ele to get the rock pet. So once i hit 20 and can transfer ill be resetting my souls. Pyro/chloro would probably be up my alley since im sonewhat familiar with it and i like the heals chloro has. Is necro magery something people tend to put any stock into?

Quote Originally Posted by UnBeliever1284 View Post
    Well atm i have a pyro/chloro but to lvl by myself as im on a dead shard i used ele to get the rock pet. So once i hit 20 and can transfer ill be resetting my souls. Pyro/chloro would probably be up my alley since im sonewhat familiar with it and i like the heals chloro has. Is necro magery something people tend to put any stock into?
    The builds he mentioned are level 50 builds, a few of them are useful while leveling but not all (for example, Archon and 38/28 pyrolock are rather useless outside of level 50 raids). Necro/lock and Elementalist builds are both effective for leveling but don't bother with them after you hit 50. In dungeons while leveling Necro (using the Zealot or Magus pet not the Knight) or Pyro builds are effective DPS. Pyro/chloro is a soloing and healing build, make sure you make a pure DPS build as well.

Also keep in mind 1.11 will be changing pretty much everything, so don't get too attached to anything.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-28-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Rift Chaser

I'm sorry didn't realize you meant in terms of leveling, thought you meant as a fresh 50.

In terms of leveling, necro/lock would be the way to go. Good DPS, great survivability should be able to pull 1-3 mobs non-stop without any trouble.

Should read Bluedots leveling guide, its old but the information is still good. Once you hit 50 alot more specs open up to you, of course feel free to still try them out while leveling but necro/lock is still one of the better/best leveling specs.

http://bluedots.org/content.php?150-...Leveling-Specs

Edit; as Grinnz said 1.11 and Storm Legion is right around the corner so don't get too attached but you picked a great time to start playing as everyone will be on even playing field by level 60!
    Last edited by Hadezz; 09-28-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Yes simply put this gane has its hooks in me deep. I played some other mmos rather seriously when i did play. But not for some time. Looking to get back into a game with a great community. Played ultima for years. Altlantic shard, was gabs protige if anyone is familiar with that game/shard. He was a top 3 mage duelist lol. Anyway i am trying to get all the knowledge i can to offer as much as possible to a guild. Thank you for your time and info!!

Soulwalker

I have 2 lvl 50 mages, a Defiant and Guardian. One of them leveled as a Necrolock, the other as a Pyro/Chloro, and neither of them had any trouble with multiple mob pulls. However, once I started getting into the Instant Adventures, I found the Pyro/Chloro much more useful, since I could more effectively heal other people as well.

On a different note... You only have to be level 15 to transfer shards, you don't have to wait until you're 20.

before level 50 i wouldnt start with pyro/lock.
    just stick to your favorite leveling build. when reached 50 i would learn the
    36/30 pyromancer warlock becouse its easy to learn and great for running the starting dungeons and raids
    38/28 warlock pyro is the best single target dps but i wouldnt put to much effort in learning it since its very
    possible it wil become obsolete in the expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Massica View Post
    I have 2 lvl 50 mages, a Defiant and Guardian. One of them leveled as a Necrolock, the other as a Pyro/Chloro, and neither of them had any trouble with multiple mob pulls. However, once I started getting into the Instant Adventures, I found the Pyro/Chloro much more useful, since I could more effectively heal other people as well.

On a different note... You only have to be level 15 to transfer shards, you don't have to wait until you're 20.
    Thank you! But i indeed could not transfer at lvl 15. Told me i was too low a level! Perhaps they changed it?
    Learning is my most powerful weapon.

Rift Chaser

Thank you! But i indeed could not transfer at lvl 15. Told me i was too low a level! Perhaps they changed it?
    You double check your mailbox was empty ( even letters w/o items ) and had nothing currently listed in auction house or bids placed? Or make sure you were not coin locked?

Outside of those 3 things you should be able to transfer... if still having issues contact a GM

U were indeed correct sir!
    Learning is my most powerful weapon.

+ Reply to Thread