+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Mage - Looking for some help!

Default New Mage - Looking for some help!

As per title, and the post count you can see that I'm new to Rift, wasn't sure if to post here or in the Newcomers section but as this was the Mage area thought best to post here, so sorry if wrong section.

The question I have and hopefully some help is the following;

I'm currently a lvl30 Mage, have been using "Xeno's EZ 51 Warlock Guide." so far which I find very good for my game play, which is mostly solo at the moment, enjoy questing, not done any Dungeons as yet as still getting use to everything. One reason I enjoy the questing side of the game is getting to know the different areas and how things work.

I'm looking for a build that can cater for the following, able to solo most quests and later stage questing when at 50, good STD, AoE and Healing, I have found the build I have been playing has some if not all of these so far to a degree. But wondering is there a build out there can help me better achieve how I play at present, or wait till higher level and swap builds?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.
    Smierc - Mage (Icewatch Server)

The game plays very differently at level 50 and certain builds become more or less viable than while leveling as you gear up. Generally the most effective soloing builds at level 50 contain Chloromancer for self-healing and increased health. I solo with 34/32 Chlorolock as it also has the health boost from Warlock as well as Shadow Life and Neddra's Essence. But there are more effective soloing builds that combine Chloro with Pyro and/or Stormcaller to do a lot more damage. This requires you to have decent gear however because your healing from Chloro is based on your damage, so at a low gear level you won't be able to heal yourself enough.

The other options are of course Necromancer and Elementalist for the pets which can be used to tank effectively with the pet-healing abilities in each soul. But these become far less effective after level 50.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Smierc View Post
    I'm looking for a build that can cater for the following, able to solo most quests and later stage questing when at 50, good STD, AoE and Healing, I have found the build I have been playing has some if not all of these so far to a degree. But wondering is there a build out there can help me better achieve how I play at present, or wait till higher level and swap builds?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.
    Things change drastically at 50, until than i'd suggest using necro/lock, should be able to non-stop pull 1-3 mobs and be fine, has good dps and great survivability. Soul Purge ftw!

Also if you ever want to break from questing; Instant Adventures are a fast way to level up.

here's the classic bluedots guide
    http://bluedots.org/content.php?150-...Leveling-Specs

once you hit 50 tho i'd come back here and look through the Mage Guide's section and see what you like.

Pyro/chloro, chloro/lock, SC/Chloro/x(Ele/lock/pyro all viable) are probably the better solo builds once your 50

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    The game plays very differently at level 50 and certain builds become more or less viable than while leveling as you gear up. Generally the most effective soloing builds at level 50 contain Chloromancer for self-healing and increased health. I solo with 34/32 Chlorolock as it also has the health boost from Warlock as well as Shadow Life and Neddra's Essence. But there are more effective soloing builds that combine Chloro with Pyro and/or Stormcaller to do a lot more damage. This requires you to have decent gear however because your healing from Chloro is based on your damage, so at a low gear level you won't be able to heal yourself enough.

The other options are of course Necromancer and Elementalist for the pets which can be used to tank effectively with the pet-healing abilities in each soul. But these become far less effective after level 50.
    Thanks for the advise, so until I reach lvl50 I should test things out see how everything works and go from there, once 50 comes around then start to refine the build is what I'm thinking from the reply.

Things change drastically at 50, until than i'd suggest using necro/lock, should be able to non-stop pull 1-3 mobs and be fine, has good dps and great survivability. Soul Purge ftw!

Also if you ever want to break from questing; Instant Adventures are a fast way to level up.

once you hit 50 tho i'd come back here and look through the Mage Guide's section and see what you like.

Pyro/chloro, chloro/lock, SC/Chloro/x(Ele/lock/pyro all viable) are probably the better solo builds once your 50
    Thanks for this guide, will read and see how it works out, learning to test different things in this game with spec's, as a way to finding what I enjoy most, did happen to get in to a IA in Freemarch wasn't sure what was going on till read about them on the forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Hadezz View Post

Have to thank you Hadezz for this guide by Bluedots, have been testing it for the past hour or so and
    I can say I'm loving this spec already, good damage, AoE and lots of healing, thanks again

+ Reply to Thread