+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chloro and Opportunity question

Default Chloro and Opportunity question

I recently picked up my mage alt again and have been running him through normal dungeons to level. My build is more or less one of the leveling builds from Brown's Chloromancer encyclopaedia.

My normal play-style is to spam Vile Spores unless Opportunity procs and then I use Nature's Touch. However it seems that my opportunity proc is being consumed by an insta-cast Vile Spores unless I actually pause for about 1/4 of a second between casts. I use a short queue for spells.

I then tried this in a pyro build and it doesn't seem to perform the same way, i.e., I can get off my insta- Cinder Burst rather than having it used for an insta-fireball.

Given that Vile Spores and Fireball are both bolt spells and it seems that Opportunity procs on the cast I don't understand why I'm failing to make use of it on chloro versus pyromancer.

I'm new to mage compared to rogue so I will definitely put in the investigation time but I thought it couldn't hurt to acquire further informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    I recently picked up my mage alt again and have been running him through normal dungeons to level. My build is more or less one of the leveling builds from Brown's Chloromancer encyclopaedia.

My normal play-style is to spam Vile Spores unless Opportunity procs and then I use Nature's Touch. However it seems that my opportunity proc is being consumed by an insta-cast Vile Spores unless I actually pause for about 1/4 of a second between casts. I use a short queue for spells.

I then tried this in a pyro build and it doesn't seem to perform the same way, i.e., I can get off my insta- Cinder Burst rather than having it used for an insta-fireball.

Given that Vile Spores and Fireball are both bolt spells and it seems that Opportunity procs on the cast I don't understand why I'm failing to make use of it on chloro versus pyromancer.

I'm new to mage compared to rogue so I will definitely put in the investigation time but I thought it couldn't hurt to acquire further informed opinion.
    If your already queueing up the next vile spores to be casted and get an opportunity proc on the previous cast it SHOULD consume it on the next one and you wont be able to use it for a NT.

I never really payed attention to this as chloro when I was leveling so I cannot recall if this happened to me. As far as you being able to do it in pyro could be the fact that you are low level and fireball cast is faster than gcd so you have .1 or how ever long it is to react to the opportunity proc?
    Last edited by Domey; 09-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Been ages since I used a chloro build with Opportunity, but it's why I play chloro like warriors played RW parachamp and use full ability queue so I don't spam as much. I used to get in trouble with this on Sicaron when I'd mistime a GCD to refresh Radiant or something when I should have been managing my GCDs more efficiently and not spammed keys.

My guess is that Domey's answer is correct in that even with short ability queues, spamming until Opportunity procs leads to the proc being consumed by the next Vile Spores. But again, haven't tested Opportunity in AGES.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Plane Walker

Since chloro/lock is a very unusual build it was along time ago anyone tested this I guess but if I recall correctly it's a dps/hps win to use NT on cd anyway especially if you have ignition in your spec because of dot-clipping. Since it is, as you say, impossible to catch opps after long casts it's better to just use NT over VS all the time. Sometimes they will be long casts and sometimes instants.

Also you can time instants (ruin etc) to cast the when NT is about to get off-cd to be sure you can use the opp on NT should the instant trigger it. That is about it, in terms of what you can do. I can't imagine it's better to wait between each cast but since almost noone uses chloro/lock I don't think anyone really knows that. Server ms + reaction time should be greater than the gain in damage I think.

Plane Walker

What I used to do long ago before I had the 4 piece crystal and occasionally when I use non-51 chloro builds now, is just throw in insta spells in between each VS.
    VS > Ruin > VS > Rad Spores > VS > Some other insta spell if necessary etc.
    Then you will never miss that opportunity proc.
    This has the side effect that you will always receive the first dot tick heal from VS as well so shouldn't lower heals much.

Simply spamming nothing but VS is never going to be the most effective way to heal, and certainly will suck for dps.
    Last edited by CreepyD; 09-19-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    -------------------------
    [eXile] Allillos - Mage - Zaviel

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    Since chloro/lock is a very unusual build
    It's the soul point spec for leveling mages who pick the healer pre-build

It's really not bad, I think other builds are better but it works and you have a big health pool.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post

It's really not bad, I think other builds are better but it works and you have a big health pool.
    Who said anything about bad? I said it was unusual which it is at level 50. Its arguably one of the best hybrids especially if you go for defile/chloro but since its alot more effort and about the same as pyro/chloro in performance it is an unusual build.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post

The healer pre-build is 51 chloro/15 lock I think.

Probably better regardless to do a hybrid with at least 6 pyro.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

+ Reply to Thread