+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51/15 necro/lock

Shadowlander

Default 51/15 necro/lock

i was just testing for fun what kinda dmg it does, and it seems to max out around 2200dps me and 1100 dps pet+ some dps from empty the crypts and mass grave ( i have T1 4set no necrocrystal), and talking about aoe dmg WITHOUT corpse explosion and on 3 targets. my pyrolock did around 3400 dps on the same with crystal. any comments whatsoever?
    Last edited by Ezenya; 09-17-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Necro is a gimp spec, news at 11

try stormcaller for AoE
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Shadowlander

was looking for a fun spec for all-around purposes, this seems nice so far

Oh then I'm not really sure what your point was. Lots of specs are great against the majority of content, the only time it really matters is against raid bosses which is either single-target, or easier for other classes (namely warriors) to handle the AoE.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ezenya View Post
    was looking for a fun spec for all-around purposes, this seems nice so far
    You'll find that the forum-posters are going to dump on Necromancer a lot, since they focus on primarily on raids & PvP, and sometimes 5-man groups. Necromancer doesn't have the type of synergy with other builds that souls like Warlock or Pyromancer do, and it doesn't have enough raw dps output in ST or AOE to shine on its own.

However, it's a great soul if you want to stay with one all-purpose build. I remember one Instant Adventure where the number of players rose and fell a great deal, and the difficulty of the mobs varied quite a bit. My necro-lock build was useful for all encounters, even at the point when everyone but the group's tank dropped and I was forced to use necro heals to keep her up during an elite boss fight that was scaled a bit more difficult than intended for a duo.

Could I pick a build that does a given type of encounter better? Certainly. 51 elemental is better for soloing, but it won't have self healing or heals for a friend in a pinch. Stormcaller builds will have more AOE, & Pyro more ST dps in groups, but those won't be as useful when elite mobs start beating on you in a Chronicle.

Necromancer has a better fun factor than any single soul I can think of, but it does lag a bit when looking at all the options available to a mage that can rely on muitiple soul types available in multiple role combinations. I prefer Chlorolock for most all-around purposes, and 51 elemental for soloing really tough elite mobs, but they are a bit boring in comparison. If you don't enjoy switching things up between encounters, it's a fun one-stop shop. Just don't expect kudos from the min-maxers.

I suppose if you dont think about any difficult content, ignore numbers altogether, dont care how fast you complete tasks, havent played any other souls, and hide your head under a rock you might enjoy 51 necro.

The class design is interesting even I played it until I looked at my performance and tried other souls. With the massive list of warrior revamps I hope the mage souls get similar tweaks and this becomes a playable soul because ill be on board.

Plane Walker

I had fun messing around with 51 necro. Empty the crypts, lich form, and mass grave were fun to use all at once. I think i got like 2k dps on the first boss of GP lol

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Oh then I'm not really sure what your point was. Lots of specs are great against the majority of content, the only time it really matters is against raid bosses which is either single-target, or easier for other classes (namely warriors) to handle the AoE.
    well my "point" was that i was surprised with the dmg of necro, as i was thinking all other specs dont even get near 2k. It's true that necro wont be the best st and aoe but it is a FUN build, and in some encounters it does better then pyrolock as i saw last night at HK with King molinar fight, tho maybe its just me but it had pretty constant damage and i was second on meters.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ezenya View Post
    well my "point" was that i was surprised with the dmg of necro, as i was thinking all other specs dont even get near 2k. It's true that necro wont be the best st and aoe but it is a FUN build, and in some encounters it does better then pyrolock as i saw last night at HK with King molinar fight, tho maybe its just me but it had pretty constant damage and i was second on meters.

Normally i'd cut down the use of necro but tbh with Storm Legion less than 2 months away, and the all the souls changes coming with 1.11 (prob 6? weeks away)

It just doesn't even matter, just go ahead and play whatever you have fun with ! Any spec you come up with now will be obsolete soon as 1.11 releases.. So if you find something you enjoy and can still clear the content ( outside of ID you can probably use any spec and still meet the enrage timers ) go for it and enjoy.
    Last edited by Hadezz; 09-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadezz View Post
    Normally i'd cut down the use of necro but tbh with Storm Legion less than 2 months away, and the all the souls changes coming with 1.11 (prob 6? weeks away)

It just doesn't even matter, just go ahead and play whatever you have fun with ! Any spec you come up with now will be obsolete soon as 1.11 releases.. So if you find something you enjoy and can still clear the content ( outside of ID you can probably use any spec and still meet the enrage timers ) go for it and enjoy.

I've been running every useless spec lately in pugs/raids just to change things up since I've been running defilemancer for almost a year now. Bloodmancer has been fun, along with elechonator, storelenator, nechroncaller, storchlorchon etc.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 09-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    I've been running every useless spec lately in pugs/raids just to change things up since I've been running defilemancer for almost a year now. Bloodmancer has been fun, along with elechonator, storelenator, nechroncaller, storchlorchon etc.
    pretending you only have 53 soul points is fun too...not really

Ascendant

I'll pull out my Zoomancer if I feel silly I can still do 2.5k+ single target with it on my 200PA HK/ID geared mage.

Sometimes I will pull it out if I know i'm in a PUG and the healing is terrible or there's someone failing at mechanics because a Necro can get their health back if no one is going to heal them. Plenty of times i've been the only DPS left alive on bosses like Gurrloth in GP for instances.

The Necromancer tree also has a purge, which you can even put into your main plague bolt macro because it only lights up if there's something to purge. So it can be used on Siccaron, the ROTP minis, even Ituziel etc.

Overall though yes it's a pretty terrible raid soul, it suffers from the double whammy of substandard single target damage and almost non-existant aoe damage.
    Last edited by Malark; 09-24-2012 at 07:48 PM.

I run 44 NEcro/22 Lock in WFs for giggles. Last Gasp is quite fun to put on a stupid healer.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by AJ911 View Post
    I had fun messing around with 51 necro. Empty the crypts, lich form, and mass grave were fun to use all at once. I think i got like 2k dps on the first boss of GP lol
    That's the old Zoomancer spec that was for a time the best spec before the changes to Pyro.

+ Reply to Thread