+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why should I (we) play a Mage?

Rift Chaser

Default Why should I (we) play a Mage?

Why should I (we) play a Mage?

Mages, PvP and Immunity

Knowing that Mages have the weakest armor, they especially have to pay attention to keep their oponents in a certain distance by using CC´s. This has always been the Mages gameplay and this will probably not change any time soon.
    Additionally Mages should rank pretty high in dmg for compensation for their cloth-armor beeing the weakest protection in the game.

This not being so, because dmg and burst-dmg of all the other classes rank a lot higher as the of Magicians. Furthermore Marksman with a better armor and the highest range can easily deal a lot of dmg while walking and jumping arround. The standart-skills are not debillitating. This being their Finisher, in particular the „Rapid Fire Shot“ is one of the, that can not be escaped easily and causes serious burst-dmg.

Mage has to spend 51 points to get his Finisher; Rogue only has to spend 12 points.
    Mages has to stand still and cast to get charge; Rogue gets his Combo-Points while running.
    In addition to that Roue´s spell-range is increased.

What if a Mage could use his Fireballs instant?
    What if a Mage could use Fulminate, after casting 5 Instant-Fireballs?
    And what if his spell-range additional would be increased by 5 meters?
    You would call him a Marksman.

So Rogues should stand still and have long cast-times like Mages.
    Or Rogue´s Instant-Spells should not give them any Combo-Points.

To keep distance:
    Thanks to the Immune-System this hasn´t worked for Rift in a while. The Mage can not rely to his CC-Skills anymore wich is a great necessity to ensure survival. Especially against Melees in a 1 vs. 1 chances for a win a not as great.
    Surrounded by invincible Warriors and Rogues casts can not be completet due to the circling motion of the opponent(s).

And there is nothing to oppose the enormous dmg. Even their dmg and burst-dmg (in particular of Rogues and Warriors) is by far higher as the of the Mage.
    Mages can only rely on „Flicker“, the one and only spell to escape; however Rogues and Warriors posses hundreds of thousands of gap-closers and other talents with extreme short CDs that prevent the Mages escape.

What if a Mage would have one Soul with 6 different Flicker-Spells (cd 25 sec)?
    What if a Mage would simultaneously deal a lot of dmg by using the Flicker-Spells?
    You would call him a Riftstalker.

What if a Mage could use Flicker after every critical hit?
    What if almost every hit would be a crit?
    What if the Mage would be an unbeatable one-shotting monster?
    You would call him a Warrior.

Further Mages CC-Skills such as „Transmogrify“ or „Fear“ most likely vanish into nothing because Warriors and Rogues seem to be immune constantly. The immunity in PvP increases this even more. So in gerneral the Mage has no CC-abbilities that he can rely on in PvP. This will definitely lead to the Mages death.

Why and for what reason do Mages still have CC-Abbilities???

In addition to that Dots and Debuffs are beeing cleansed by the Opponents and so become useless.

Moreover other classes show talents, that for a short term provide immunity against (Magic-) dmg. And again the Mage has nothing to counter against wich will lead to his death. It would be different if the Mage would have 100%-dmg-reduce-talent to at least ensure his survival for a short time.

The Mages worst opponents are still the Rogues and Warriors. I indeed do not know any other MMO in wich Warriors or Rogues are so overpowered as here in Rift. This, and I am sure that any other Mage-Colleges will back me up, is becoming more and more frustrating.
    Rogues appear out of stealth, are stunning, and you die within a second without having a chance to react against.

Stun, dead, ..., stun, dead, ...

Meanwhile Warriors are even worse.

What if a Mage would be invincible, suffering no damage at all; but at the same time killing each and everybody with just one single hit while rushing through the rows of enemies?
    You would call him a Warrior.

Morover Rogues and Warriors show a bunch of help- and usefull CC-options that in an odd kind of manner work, Self-Heal and in particular many Outs and Immunity against CCs and dmg, so that the Mage absolutely stands no chance to rise against Warriors and Rogues.
    I know a couple of Rogues and Warriors that are pretty disapointed, when they cant terminate a Mage within in 3 Seconds in a 1 vs. 1.

In gerenal you can say that Mages became more and more useless and without any chance in PvP and 1 vs. 1 situations.

Storm Legion will not change these problems, but make them even worse!

With Storm Legion we will get a new Soul; the Harbinger which is a Melee-DMG-Soul.

Well, I don´t play a Mage for being in melee range!
    I play a Mage for beeing a caster class that deals a lot of damage and has CCs that really works, keeping distance to my opponents. As I metioned above, this does´t work because of the Immune-System!

So it seems like Harbinger will be a must for all of us, playing a Mage, because of all the defensive talents and some other nice talents like invisibility and teleportations. But all these new talents have been proposed and expected for the already existing Mage-Souls!

So PvP probably will be: Harbinger/Chloro, Harbinger/Dom, Harbinger/Pyro.

Why will Trion force me (us) playing a Mage as a melee-class?

Moreover it seems like the new Warrior-Soul, Tempest, will be much better, than all the Mage-Souls.

Tempest:
    SOUL PURPOSE: DPS
    FLAVOR ADD: 30+ Meter Range DPS, primarily ST with a healthy amount of AoE
    Stationary Invis

So Warriors that already have a much better health-pool, armour, survivability, gap-closer, cc´s and cc-breaker will now get a ranged-soul, with a higher range than a Mage. In other words, with Storm Legion, Warriors can one-shot from a 30+meter-range!

The combination of the Tempest-Soul with a Tank-Soul will make the Warriors unbeatable one-shotting ranged-monsters!

In addition to that Warriors survivability will be increased even more and Warriors do not have to care about Mana because of the extremely fast regenerating Power they use.

Meanwhile all of my friends playing a Mage quit playing Rift!
    And it seems like that the Mage-Forum is almost dead!

Rogues already are the better Mages!

Warriors will become the better Mages!

So why should I (we) play a Mage?

I've always played caster in any mmo..... that's why I play mage.

So for rift, to be a good mage, you have to be a skilled player. I love my mage

Telaran

Tl;dr

qq. :-d

Longest rant ever
    I see plenty of great mages out there even when I'm playing my jumping and running rogue, also fulminate isnt everything...its good but nothing you should be counting on for a kill wile playing mage.
    Last edited by Sapheros; 09-16-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Ascendant

Don't. Play a warrior or a rogue really. More lewt for us.

I do agree that tempest looks a lot like a mage. I guess the difference is class mechanics.
    Last edited by Pricia; 09-16-2012 at 05:39 AM.

couldnt be bothered to read past the "harbinger is a must for mages" line.

and how do you know that? there is no chance harbinger/chloro will outpreform deep chloro in tankhealing, also i expect 61 archon to be viable due to some deep bonuses. it was also stated that there will be fights that will punish both melee and ranged, so i expect at least 1 dps ranged soul to be as vialble as it now.

and tempest is boring when i think of it - general overhaul of other souls looks more interesting ;p

Ascendant

I couldn't read past the QQ rogues QQ but why will I play my mage?

Because I love the class I find it to be the most fun and rewarding class in rift

If your fireball is hitting as hard as a marks builder, you're doing it wrong.

Rogues have a shiny toy that you want, honestly they're completely different classes.

Bunch of L2P issues and exaggerations.

I can steamroll lower rank people on my warrior, but equal geared or better geared people don't get rolled over. If I don't have a healer against people who are equal rank it can be difficult to get anything done.

You're making assumptions about harbinger from the limited information we have about the calling, yeah it looks like the self heals and stuff will be cool, but there will be other options. You won't be FORCED to play a melee build, last time i checked pyro and dom are still souls for the mage calling in SL.

Did you even watch the warrior video? Did you see the god awful damage that tempest was doing compared to harbinger? Unless they make some serious changes to the soul come SL it will be a gimmick soul that next to no one will use.

You're talking out of your ***.
    "I killed and ate a girl in 1990." - Jacob 'Daglar' Daglarson
    "Nicold is the best mage EU" - Arthur "Noge" Nogenstein
    "Nicold is the best warrior NA" - James "RoughRaptors" Franco
    "Nicold carried <Virus> through ID" - Gary "Ogdru" Ogdruington
    "Nicold was my surrogate father." Wayne "Wayyyyyyne" Waynenstein

Rift Master

Let's see... highest pve dps. Incredible utility in PvP. Very durable unless you are a glass cannon spec.

Threads like this is why I don't really have to cleanse anymore when I play my cleric.

Rift Chaser

Well I'll give it chance to see how the new souls play out when on the PTS but comparing the new Tempest to our current Mage souls I would tend to agree that the best Mage Soul belongs to the Warrior class.

Mage Range DPS = 30M
    Tempest Range DPS = 35M

Most Mage abilities have cast time meaning we are affected by pushback, interrupts and movement
    Most Tempest abilities are instant cast so are not affected by pushback, interrupts or movement

Mages have Firestorm and Lightning storm for AOE, both channeled so can be easily interrupted and lost.
    Tempest has two AOEs that are both instant cast and no CD

Mages AOE = 25M range
    Tempest AOE = 35 range

Tempest is able to increase the number of targets affected by their AOE
    Mages have no such ability

A Pyro is able to increase his damage by 10% when standing still at a cost of taking an additional 5% damage
    Tempest is able to increase his damage by 30% when standing still with no ill effects

Mages have a shield that absorbs up to 750 damage
    Tempest has a shield that absorbs up to 1500 damage

Tempest has an ability "heals 100% of the damage done over the next 8 seconds."
    This ability has an 8 second CD so can be always kept up.

Tempest has both Invis AND Feign Death

Best Mage DPS requires managing toggle abilities on and off within fractions of a second
    Tempest has no toggle abilities to worry about.

Sounds to me like they made the ultimate Stormcaller and decided not to waste it on Mages so they gave it to Warriors.

And it sounds like Archons will no longer be required on raids.
    During the Harbingers video (which was supposed to be about Mages) they mentioned about improvements being made to the Bard soul yet said nothing about our own Archon.
    Now in the Warrior video, it sounds like there will be three Support souls that will overlap in abilities eliminating the necessity of an Archon on raids.

This is based entirely on assumptions. I doubt you really have any idea what they are and aren't changing in SL. You say Harbinger is a must for us because of the defensive talents -- what defensive talents?? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Bladedancer and Paragon have a ton of defensive talents too; do you see many of those in PvP?

I'm not even going to get into the rest of it. Making judgments on the untuned and untested souls upon their first public appearance is incredibly presumptuous. Let's wait and see what happens!

Shadowlander

They have stated that the Warlock skill Nedra's grasp is being change to help prevent clensing and will harm anyone that tries to cleanse that player.
    Reason why I love Rift?
    I love it because it has so much potential, that is the reason I got into and that I'm still here.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ZornTheMighty View Post
    They have stated that the Warlock skill Nedra's grasp is being change to help prevent clensing and will harm anyone that tries to cleanse that player.
    And now guess where this idea came from:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post2731770

Warlocks should have a passive talent like this:
    If your dots are dispelled, enemy gets instant 15(?)% dmg of the total dmg.

Indeed, but the damage you get from dispelling a given dot should be more significant + include some silence/stun effect. 15% is not much when it comes to 'should I dispell or not dispell' question.
    I very much wold like to see something that makes dispellers think twice when they want to clear the dots from a target.

This was just a suggestion.
    Of course 15% are not that much; but getting this instant dmg over and over and over for each dot that is dispelled should hurt ...
    But you also can say 20% or maybe more. I just tried not to go over the top.
    An additional silence or what ever would be nice; but don´t forget about the immunity.
    Maybe the enemy could also lose mana or energy or so.
    Or we could get back 5(?)% mana...
    There are many possibilities in this regard.

Or what about this?

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post2813284

Pyromancer:

Many people loves to play their Pyromancer. What they dont´ like is useing Ground of Power all the time. Mage must be able to move freely without having to set his Grounds all the time again and again.

Here is a nice idea for changeing this into a passiv Talent.
    This Talent also would be the first Synergie-Skill for the Pyromancer-Tree and should be in T1 or T2.

On Fire:
    After remaining stationary for 9/6/3 Sec. you will get the Buff „On Fire“.
    The Buff „On Fire“ will inrease your Spell-DMG by 5/10/15%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    This is based entirely on assumptions. I doubt you really have any idea what they are and aren't changing in SL. You say Harbinger is a must for us because of the defensive talents -- what defensive talents?? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Bladedancer and Paragon have a ton of defensive talents too; do you see many of those in PvP?

I'm not even going to get into the rest of it. Making judgments on the untuned and untested souls upon their first public appearance is incredibly presumptuous. Let's wait and see what happens!
    But mages will not be allowed to level to 60. I thought it was obvious based on this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast