+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What do you think of this starting rotation for defilemancer?

Rift Disciple

Default What do you think of this starting rotation for defilemancer?

http://pastebin.com/EJ0kyfvb

It wasn't allowing me to submit my formatted text on this forum.

I don't know about other guilds, but my guild doesn't "rush" so I don't need to start with SL; after dueling for pillaging stone stacks, just spam Devouring Shadows on the ground before the pull for full charge. Also, you have 1.5s listed as GCD in your post but it's 1s with spark.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LaPengo View Post
    I don't know about other guilds, but my guild doesn't "rush" so I don't need to start with SL; after dueling for pillaging stone stacks, just spam Devouring Shadows on the ground before the pull for full charge. Also, you have 1.5s listed as GCD in your post but it's 1s with spark.
    Good points (I forgot about Spark), making most of my points void. I still think casting Defile earlier is better. Do you do that with your full charge?
    Last edited by magisbladius; 09-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.

If you're using Sacrifice Life: Damage early, you can pretty much use defile after 2 or 3 casts, which is really the reasoning behind going FB -> CD -> SV first.

Also looking at your notes, one error is that Searing Vitality is by no means your weakest dot. It's consistently 11-12% of my damage, where as Dark Touch is a couple % less.

Another thing is that you don't seem to account for opportunities at all. RNG to the max, I know, but definitely key.
    Last edited by Silus; 09-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Morseus - P80 Defiant Mage
    Durandal - P70 Defiant Warrior
    Varkas - P3x Defiant Rogue

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Also looking at your notes, one error is that Searing Vitality is by no means your weakest dot. It's consistently 11-12% of my damage, where as Dark Touch is a couple % less.
    This logic

U cast Searing Vitality twice as many times, that might be why ^^. Also SV has the highest modifier making the crystal bonus effect less important than on the other spells. So even though he failed on Spark , he were correct in some ways.

for OP though: I don't know what the best starting is but your start will after some rotations start having "gaps" of 1 second, where you have to get opp procs to get 100% uptime on dots. I think most people use a starting rotation that does not max dps for the first 20 sec but sets everything up so dot uptime will be easier to manage through some minutes with random occasional opp procs.

Telaran

There isn't "the best" starting rotation. Defilemancer is all about putting dots and refreshing them.

I start with FB / 2 fireballs / SL : D / Defile / LL / CD / DT / SV - and flame bolt somewhere between LL and DT.

Damage per cast time is a terrible way to look at DOT based specs. The actual DPS of the DOT is more important than the DPCT since your goal is the upkeep of all the DOTs, not the efficiency of it. You're always going to be refreshing the DOT so it's better to prioritize higher DPS DOTs.

Quote Originally Posted by magisbladius View Post
    Good points (I forgot about Spark), making most of my points void. I still think casting Defile earlier is better. Do you do that with your full charge?
    I used to cast Defile first but ever since the change to IC and the normalization of DOTs, it makes more sense to just chain spells together rather than messing with my rhythm.

IMO CD/sv and defile/dt are best kept as a paired refresh bc of the cooldowns/tick times.

So with your beginning rotation, if kept through a 5min parse, you're either clipping too hard or don't have enough uptime

Rift Disciple

Yeah yeah, I shouldn't have looked at DPCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    If you're using Sacrifice Life: Damage early, you can pretty much use defile after 2 or 3 casts, which is really the reasoning behind going FB -> CD -> SV first.
    You can do

FB-> Def->any other instant and have enough charge to not drop it when you use SL first.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Domey View Post
    You can do

FB-> Def->any other instant and have enough charge to not drop it when you use SL first.
    True, true.

Also, if you're lucky enough and you get opportunity proc hit Cinder Burst macro to charge up.

Rift Disciple

I didn't want to make a 2nd thread for this. I just got a sweet and perfect 40s parse in an expert dungeon, versus the end boss of CR. Add phase was skipped.

http://i.imgur.com/Ctmgi.png

All opp. procs used perfectly.
    Notice that low Fireball damage (6.9%), yet high Combust (10.0%).
    The big 3 are in priority order (SV is one of the strongest DoTs like you guys mentioned).
    All my Wildfire procs used perfectly.

This might not mean much by itself, but when I (really bad T2, pvp, 1 relic) compare it to the 2nd highest dps (full ID geared, 8/8 guild):

http://i.imgur.com/QKnbq.png

Last edited by magisbladius; 09-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.

I just got a sweet and perfect 40s parse
    40 second parses dont mean ****

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Domey View Post
    40 second parses dont mean ****
    Apparently they do for me. AoE, short, and long term parses are all viable for me. I can see the percentages being different in short versus long parses. Short is viable when you're comparing to 36/30 and other burst classes on adds. Finally, the better my execution during the 1st minute, the more DPS I will have in the long run.

Apparently they do for me. AoE, short, and long term parses are all viable for me. I can see the percentages being different in short versus long parses. Short is viable when you're comparing to 36/30 and other burst classes on adds. Finally, the better my execution during the 1st minute, the more DPS I will have in the long run.
    I should rephrase myself, 40 second parses are not good for comparing to other classes/specs/opening rotations.

Crits and opportunity procs will vary your short term parses greatly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast