+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IA Leveling with Mage

Telaran

Default IA Leveling with Mage

Hey, long story short I want to lvl my alts through IA with rested bonus. I have a lvl 30ish mage that is typical necro/lock, but I noticed that hes not as efficent at IA as I like. For example my pet never really gets used unless its a boss encounter. Im thinking either pyro or SC as main soul. Anybody have advice or preference? Im thinking archon and lock as off souls for buffs and chargers. Thx

Ascendant

Necro lock works great. Just use the zealot for extra dps.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    Necro lock works great. Just use the zealot for extra dps.
    Most times when there is 5+ in the party (lets say silverwood) my pet cant even get to the mob before someone else drops it. Im just wondering if its more effiecent with a pyro & the spark ability or a SC with added aoe.

Just feels like when its "kill x amount" or "collect/destroy x" I have a pet running by my side doing nothing. And dont get me wrong, necro/lock and elementist pets are great PvE questing. Im just questioning them for IA. If I found myself or the group wiping during an IA (which ive never seen) I would switch roles and take the pet out.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawks View Post
    Most times when there is 5+ in the party (lets say silverwood) my pet cant even get to the mob before someone else drops it. Im just wondering if its more effiecent with a pyro & the spark ability or a SC with added aoe.

Just feels like when its "kill x amount" or "collect/destroy x" I have a pet running by my side doing nothing. And dont get me wrong, necro/lock and elementist pets are great PvE questing. Im just questioning them for IA. If I found myself or the group wiping during an IA (which ive never seen) I would switch roles and take the pet out.
    The best tagging spec for mages is probably 51 pyro, 36/30 pyro/lock, or 35/31 stormcaller/pyro, these are all good builds for general DPS as well. With the pyro specs you can just drop Firestorm on stuff, with the stormcaller build you can hit them with lightning field for instant tagging.

Soulwalker

I used my Pyro build for PVP and IAs, although I was in the 40 levels before I started IAs. I agree, it's hard to get your pet into the fight in IAs which is why i would light up the mobs with all the instant cast pyro spells; you could do the same with your lock if you want, though DPS is not as great without your pet. Also, when I ran IAs on my Rogue, I never used the pet. Much simpler to run & gun at the pace that most IA groups set.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mohawks View Post

I just pulled a mob with dark touch, then pulled another one while my pet was killing the first one... it was great. I actually really missed my pet when I switched specs. I don't really tend to stay with the group in IAs though, our spells are not exactly the best to kill a mob quickly if others are on it (ie by the time I'm done casting it's usually dead anyway).

Telaran

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try Pyro and SC builds. It's a good point about the instant cast spells. It's hard to even get 2x fireballs on the target before it dies. Anyway thanks again. I will post my preference in afew days after I try each out.

Champion

Just use Dark Touch to tag, always worked for me, regardless if i do IA or are on onslaughts on EI.

+ Reply to Thread