+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Archon and Rusila

Soulwalker

Default Archon and Rusila

Hey Mages.

So I have a question for other mages about Power Drain as an ability itself and then for use against Rusila.

I have been using Archon for a while. Am I the best at it and understand everything about it? No. It is fairly simple but I cannot find a definitive answer about how Power Drain works in terms of do you have to start using BEFORE a cast or DURING as cast. I have heard arguments for both.

I recently contacted a GM in game and he told me that they cannot divulge this information which leads me to believe that anything out there is jut a guess.

My belief (and I may be wrong) is that you can cast it during a cast and it would still work. The reason is that when the game first started we didn't have KBM so how else would we know that an ability was coming.

Now, to Rusila.. what ability do you use Power Drain on? Dreadshot.. Blades... both?

Thx!

Sword of Telara

No need to powerdrain anything in particular, just toggle it on and off for increased damage from burning purpose. The healing on this fight is easily covered even at 99 stacks by competent players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenifire View Post
    Hey Mages.

So I have a question for other mages about Power Drain as an ability itself and then for use against Rusila.

I have been using Archon for a while. Am I the best at it and understand everything about it? No. It is fairly simple but I cannot find a definitive answer about how Power Drain works in terms of do you have to start using BEFORE a cast or DURING as cast. I have heard arguments for both.

I recently contacted a GM in game and he told me that they cannot divulge this information which leads me to believe that anything out there is jut a guess.

My belief (and I may be wrong) is that you can cast it during a cast and it would still work. The reason is that when the game first started we didn't have KBM so how else would we know that an ability was coming.

Now, to Rusila.. what ability do you use Power Drain on? Dreadshot.. Blades... both?

Thx!
    To actually answer the question, similar to other buffs and debuffs, if it is up when the castbar *ends* then it will apply. For example on Garau you can hit power drain during the Bloodtide cast, and turn it off before Bloodtide hits the raid, and it will still lower the damage. However with channels it must be up when the channel *starts*. Don't recall if Dreadshot is a cast or a channel. I would say use it on whichever is closer to killing people; if you have positioning that negates damage from blades then use it on dreadshot, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    To actually answer the question, similar to other buffs and debuffs, if it is up when the castbar *ends* then it will apply. For example on Garau you can hit power drain during the Bloodtide cast, and turn it off before Bloodtide hits the raid, and it will still lower the damage. However with channels it must be up when the channel *starts*. Don't recall if Dreadshot is a cast or a channel. I would say use it on whichever is closer to killing people; if you have positioning that negates damage from blades then use it on dreadshot, etc.
    Dreadshot is a cast and channel. It winds up and then channels.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    Dreadshot is a cast and channel. It winds up and then channels.
    Then you would need to apply Power Drain before the cast ends and the channel begins.

Ascendant

Might be better to use it on 1,000 cuts? If you're losing people to Dreadshot you need more AoE heals, even at 99 stacks. Sometimes deaths to 1,000 cuts aren't avoidable (well, the MT anyway). Not sure if it works on 1,000 cuts though!
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 09-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Might be better to use it on 1,000 cuts? If you're losing people to Dreadshot you need more AoE heals, even at 99 stacks. Sometimes deaths to 1,000 cuts aren't avoidable (well, the MT anyway). Not sure if it works on 1,000 cuts though!
    It should, it is just Earth damage and reduced by Earth resist AFAIK.

1000 cuts (the big earth hit) doesnt deal any dmg at all to the maintank if there is ANYONE else standing inside the mt btw

also 1000 cuts (the blades) dont scale with her stacking soft enrage 99 stack thingie, its still the same source as p1 saws, if people die to the blades they are doing it wrong

ontopic: TheGrinnz explained it - afaik with channels you can also turn it off as soon as the channel starts
    the powerdrain debuff has to be applied when the mob finishs its cast/starts the channel, then the whole cast or channel deal 10% less dmg
    mobs (like players) take a snapshot of their buffs/debuffs when they finished a spell/start a channel which determines the damage
    Last edited by sculti; 09-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

+ Reply to Thread