+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many points for Improved Mana Wrench (Laeyths)?

Rift Disciple

Default How many points for Improved Mana Wrench (Laeyths)?

I haven't done Laeythis yet. Is 2/3 IWR good enough?

If you are putting 12 points into dom for this then there is no reason not to put 1 more point for 3/3 improved mana wrench as its not like you have anything better you can spend your points on.

basic mana wrench - 6 ticks stripping 5 energy = 30 energy
    1/3 improved mana wrench - 6 ticks stripping 6 energy = 36 energy
    2/3 improved mana wrench - 6 ticks stripping 7 energy = 42 energy
    3/3 improved mana wrench - 6 ticks stripping 8 energy = 48 energy

I guess it does depend a little bit if you are a chloro just helping out or if you are either the archon or a hybrid dps mage as if you are playing those roles you would be expected to drain more often. That said, 1 mage and 1 rogue draining can handle p2/p3 fine if the stars align but you wouldn't want to rely on it.
    Last edited by Mayhemo; 09-04-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Zykey Mage - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF
    Zykelot Cleric - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemo View Post
    If you are putting 12 points into dom for this then there is no reason not to put 1 more point for 3/3 improved mana wrench as its not like you have anything better you can spend your points on.

I guess it does depend a little bit if you are a chloro just helping out or if you are either the archon or a hybrid dps mage as if you are playing those roles you would be expected to drain more often. That said, 1 mage and 1 rogue draining can handle p2/p3 fine if the stars align but you wouldn't want to rely on it.
    You most definitely do not want just 1 mage 1 rogue. Your archon/chloro/hybrid (transferrence) + 1-2 rogue is ideal. There are set times when storm will come once you've done it long enough. After Laethys gold it is the first cast or cast after the first subjugate. Since subjugate gives 40 energy, you need to save 1 mana wrench to prevent it, while the others often fire right away since Laethys is around 50-60 energy (since you have to LOS behind piles).

Other times, it's simply after approximately 45s-1m have gone by, you tend to get a feel for it. But definitely go max IWR and don't skimp on the drainers. Storm is the only mechanic that can wipe the raid. The rest is healable/avoidable.

thats why i said if the stars align :P
    Zykey Mage - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF
    Zykelot Cleric - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF

arresting preseeeeence

Having someone with Transference for p1 really simplifies things a lot. Overall having a dedicated drainer/utility is going to represent the minimal loss to your raid's DPS. Get 3/3 IMR for that role, or Archon. Whether a third Mage needs it is dependent on the number of Rogues you're running with Debilitating Poison. If one, I'd say IMW is ideal, but if two you could probably get away without it.

we ran 4 assas in our altraid
    no mage had to drain at all

our usual setup is 2-3 drain rogues, 1 51 archont + 1 51 chloro with 3/3 manawrench, 1 pyro/dom
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

the archont+chloro are running their maklamos specc, so its 14 dom

it might be worth it to get an extra laethys specc with 13 dom, 2 fiery concentration (pyro) considering the p2 raiddmg
    but who cba ;)
    guess thats the reason you were thinking about only getting 2/3 improved mana wrench
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Rift Disciple

When I tested this the other day, while I saw mana wrench last six seconds, I only saw the energy drain tick four times. I tested this several times, and each time it was only four ticks of the energy drain.
    Last edited by Morank; 09-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Plane Walker

We have all our mages use 3/3 to be more effective. Our setup is usually 4 mage drainers (2 chloros, archon and dedicated drainer) then maybe 1 rogue drainer occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by magisbladius View Post
    I haven't done Laeythis yet. Is 2/3 IWR good enough?
    No.

Tell your rogues to stop slacking and pick up the draining spec... 4 rogues keep Laethys on zero pretty much the whole fight.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    No.

Tell your rogues to stop slacking and pick up the draining spec... 4 rogues keep Laethys on zero pretty much the whole fight.
    I thought there was a dps trade-off for this, as opposed to making support mages do it, which you really lose nothing if timed properly.

Telaran

We only use 3 draining rogues since we cant afford the dps lose of a 4th at this time. Our choloros do a bit of draining but not very often and mostly in p3. I spec 3/3 firey concentration since im on squirel duty so i only have 2/3 imp drain and its fine.
    Last edited by Tobz; 09-05-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Tobzz - 50 Guardian Mage
    <Mutiny> @ Greybriar
    7/8 ID

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tobz View Post
    We only use 3 draining rogues since we cant afford the dps lose of a 4th at this time. Our choloros do a bit of draining but not very often and mostly in p3. I spec 3/3 firey concentration since im on squirel duty so i only have 2/3 imp drain and its fine.
    What spec are you that has pyro/dom, but not instant sheep, and what damage are you worried about knockback on, Auric?

+ Reply to Thread