+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Things I'd Like To See in 2.0

Rift Disciple

Default Things I'd Like To See in 2.0

... but won't because development plans are probably pretty much settled.

* Bringing sexy back for mage pets.
    * Hover-over menus that attach to our ability bars for things like mounts, lures, and teleports.
    * Automatic skill chains / keybindings to the reactive ability layout thing.
    * Crafting anywhere.
    * Quality skills instead of quantities of skills: having 10 skill bars with 120 various skills isn't functional!

Less skill options? Hmm. Sounds like some other fantasy MMO that's pretty popular. I think it had something to do with orcs and humans, or some such thing.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    Less skill options? Hmm. Sounds like some other fantasy MMO that's pretty popular. I think it had something to do with orcs and humans, or some such thing.
    A bunch of quality skills is fine, but there definitely comes a point where having so many skills results in reduced functionality.

Add to the list: instead of skill overwriting, consider a system of diminishing returns. All skill overwriting does is make some abilities worthless at endgame or forgotten: Exposure, Neddra's Torture, etc.

Even with diminishing returns, if using more than one debuff means more damage taken, they all become effectively necessary for anyone min/maxing properly. If, for example, one magic taken debuff is 7%, two are 10%, three are 12%, and four are 13%, then someone will do the math and find the optimal number of debuffs vs. specs required to provide them. You'll see optimal compositions involving Archon, Bard and Inquisitor keeping up their debuffs, and Elementalist as too great a dps loss for the last 1% gain. Encounters would be balanced around these new expected debuff amounts. Different numbers would have different results, but there'll be a right way to do it, and guilds will feel hamstrung to do it that way.
    Last edited by DegnaRed; 09-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morank View Post
    * Quality skills instead of quantities of skills: having 10 skill bars with 120 various skills isn't functional!
    I think it's good that better management, adaptability, and awareness yields better results. The beauty of Rift and of Mages in particular is that if you don't want to play a spec that's above your skill ceiling you can just switch to another. Don't ruin it for those of us that enjoy a demanding and difficult play style.

Customisable armour / skins for pets.

Lets not forget a iname calendar

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DegnaRed View Post
    Even with diminishing returns, if using more than one debuff means more damage taken, they all become effectively necessary for anyone min/maxing properly. If, for example, one magic taken debuff is 7%, two are 10%, three are 12%, and four are 13%, then someone will do the math and find the optimal number of debuffs vs. specs required to provide them. You'll see optimal compositions involving Archon, Bard and Inquisitor keeping up their debuffs, and Elementalist as too great a dps loss for the last 1% gain. Encounters would be balanced around these new expected debuff amounts. Different numbers would have different results, but there'll be a right way to do it, and guilds will feel hamstrung to do it that way.
    When min/maxing to gain 5% more dps makes all the difference in a fight, that suggests to me that the fights aren't dynamic enough and just about hitting enrage timers. Imagine a fight where ranged had to move constantly to avoid getting stacking debuffs that would kill them. That would definitely gimp something with pyro/ gop in it, but I think would still be a fun type of encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    I think it's good that better management, adaptability, and awareness yields better results. The beauty of Rift and of Mages in particular is that if you don't want to play a spec that's above your skill ceiling you can just switch to another. Don't ruin it for those of us that enjoy a demanding and difficult play style.
    I'm talking more about quality of life changes than getting rid of our ability to play at different levels or to have very specific skills that are still very useful.
    Last edited by Morank; 09-03-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Rift Disciple

I just remembered the #1 thing I want: summon practice dummy. That way I don't have to dual to get my stacks on and/or can practice somewhere outside of lagridian.

Bonus: dummies that apply to more circumstances, like dummies that move (ala Storm Shackle), dummies that try to cast spells (ala Neddra's Gasp), and dummies that auto-form a group with me so I can test heals as a chloro.

(Did I mention I need more roles? )
    Last edited by Morank; 09-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Shield of Telara

Summonable mob to cast pillaging stones at!

Pets not sucking would greatly help two of our current most useless classes. HP scaling needs to be addressed, and a limited amount of toughness given to our tank style pets. DPS scaling is absolute garbage. my fireballs hit for 3x the amount they did in the RoS days, yet my pets do roughly 30% more.

Dominator: It's essentially a pvp only soul, and is largely ignored for any pve builds. This rant is pve only based, (make changes as necessary to appease the pvp'ers) with the exeption of a select few fights where things need sheeped. The 10% int increase is largely wasted as the crit cap destroys a good portion of this ability, and points spent into arhon for a better pillaging stones is almost always more beneficial. The class has very highly situational spells, so give them some bite and make them useful for casting in pve settings.

Necro: Pets not sucking would help greatly, however just like elementalist, the classes actual spell selection is...lacking. Has anyone ever actually used life shift or blood binding? It's a novel idea, but its just not worth it casting. Deaths grasp would be useful if it didn't cause diminishing returns to trigger and make the mob immune within seconds. Mass graves / empty the crypts as a 3 second spell needs to be looked at also.

Elementalist: most of the same as necro. Your essentially forced into using mostly nukes from the elem tree to cause buffs for your pet, which is fine except those nukes kind of suck. ignite isn't too bad since it can synergize with a few other souls for decent damage mods, but crystaline missles being earth based needs 20-30 points worth of lock to boost it, which is too many soul points if you plan on getting any of the 3 good abilities at 40+ in the elem tree.

SC AOE: needs buffing. Sure it's still our highest aoe build, but its not outdoing a pyro / lock with firestorm by a significant enough margin that I would ever use it over pyro/lock considering it also has great ST dps, which SC does not.

Chloro: liked it the way it was, changing it to a heal based on how long the spell was originally supposed to take to cast sounds lame and gimicky. as now we need to throw in opportunity and harbinger to lower cast times.

Lock: great synergy with other souls, however it would be great to remove the cast animation from SL/D. If it's an ability that's off the GCD, then why should it slow down our overall casting speed if our rotation doesn't happen to be casting an instant spell right before we need to apply SL/D

Pyro: probably our best overall soul, however the pvp nerfs are pretty solid. Re-examin fulminate damage, because it's disheartening to see our 51point spell hit for less damage than a simple fireball. Take inferno back off the GCD again, and have it hit for less damage if that's what it takes to balance it. Also, ground of power never gets used anymore. change it to a buff instead of a ground effect like our other spells were. If you're face tanking damage in pvp, then standing still is the last thing you want to do, besides that it's never worth using a gcd each time you stop moving.

Archon: Think it's mostly a good class, however just like bard i'd like to see the buffs scale in power with gear. Raids usually pick the rogue with the worst gear and by default pigeon hole him into being a bard. What if the +52 stats bonus was 52 stats in RoS gear, 72 in HK, and 92 in ID? Just throwing out some numbers and tweaking would be needed but you get the point.

Crit Cap: the softcap may as well be a hardcap with the rediculous x5 scaling that occurs after 1187. Players will always choose an item with a very slight SP increase, over another item that would have a very large crit increase. which makes gear choices rather boring. What if instead, we made it an actual 45% hardcap, but any additional crit after that would be applied to your crit damage modifier instead? So hypothetically if you had a large enough crit rating that you would be able to get to 50% crit rating, you would still only have a 45% chance to crit, but all of your crits would do an extra 5% damage, for a total of 155%, or 185% if you're using tempest.

Mana: it's largely a joke, the only soul that ever has issues in a fight is SC. So if the fight doesn't have a rediculous mana drain component you will never run out. What if each class had a mana dump spell with a CD. Pyro's could manaburn, doing massive ST dps, chloros could throw out an improved flourish ect. These spells could cost upwards of several thousand mana, which would give mana, and mana management a use.

Remove greater essence slots from all cores, and instead just give them 6 lesser slots. Then, allow us to 'fuse' a greater of our choice into the core. There is really no use for 99% of the greaters out there, and players will almost always prefer raw stats. This would allow at least a few of those greaters to find a use. The only time I've ever seen people running dual greaters is in healing cores using the shielding greaters. Even this is seeing a downturn however since we have seen several upgrades to the stat essences, but no new shielding greaters in awhile.

Trinkets: bottom line they suck and are so random that they often become frustrating. change items such as AMOP to slowly scale based on the total time you are engaged in a fight. If it gained one stack every 12 seconds, then after 1 minute in the fight you had max stacks and knew it wasn't going to fall off I would say most people would be for that change. Damage procs either from trinkets or from other sources need to scale based on total SP.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Itemization has always been a sore point for me, and yeah, fixes would be nice in SL.

I'd like to know more about crit cap and if it's changing in SL. That would inform feedback on what itemization should be like in order to give us actual upgrades that aren't hugely overpowered, but aren't also 3-5 SP upgrades (which are hardly upgrades).

As for trinkets...I think we can all agree that AMoP and GoB have been disparaged enough in the forums. If there's any fix, I would fashion it after the expert Iron Tombs wand (the Uncorrupted Life wand off Ragnaroth): it should be easy to build to the maximum number of stacks and stay there, and there should be minimal penalty for disconnects (i.e., Grugonim burrow phases). I think in large part this issue can first be addressed by REMOVING the internal cooldown on the items.

I have been underwhelmed by the stacking trinket procs for quite some time. I am hoping for some improvements in current and future items.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

I am going to have a heart attack if I need to build pillaging stone stacks in Storm Legion.

Soulwalker

I'd like an in-game music player that plays "War, what is it good for" by Tom Jones whenever I enter combat.

+ Reply to Thread