+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Archon QoL - Rock Slide

Default Archon QoL - Rock Slide

I know we can't expect to see any big shiny changes until Storm Legion and I'm okay with that. However, the bane of my raiding existence as Archon right now is actually Rock Slide. A six second channel, subject to push back (Fiercy Concentration does nothing for channeled spells), costing 60 charge and with a 30 second cooldown if you don't manage to build your six stacks.

On a fight like Sicaron, with constant raid damage, even at small amounts, it's going to take until the second cast to get all the stacks. Ituziel is similar, except you might get lucky at the beginning of the fight and not be targeted for Rain of Fire. Akylios is probably the worst offender for me so far though. The waves are predictable enough and I avoid channeling when they're pending, but Mana Pinchers seem to live for charge-stunning me during the channel, or an Abyssal Geyser wants to be my friend. There are plenty of other fights I could mention where Rock Slide is annoying to build.

There are a few options that occur to me to make this not quite so wrist slashy. The simplest might be just to remove the cooldown on Rock Slide; it's not good damage, so what is the cooldown gating besides getting the full 60 intelligence buff? Better options might include shortening the channel duration and/or making it immune to push back. I seem to remember Kervik saying there was an engineering problem with getting Fiery Concentration to work with channeled spells. Modifying the charge cost would be nice; it's a hassle, especially if you're looking to use Flaring Power early in the fight. I prefer to have all my buffs and debuffs in order before Flaring Power, but sometimes Rock Slide just has to wait until later. Less likely options could include reworking the power / talent point entirely, perhaps by having it increase the Pillaging Stone buff instead.

Any other thoughts? Am I just overly annoyed by one of the few decision making / timing skills Archon has? Is anyone else annoyed by this? Maybe Kervik can shed some light on the philosophy behind this ability?

Rift Disciple

If PS and Rock Slide were removed with the next patch, I wouldn't miss them one bit. If we have to keep them, make QoL changes by moving the buffs to another ability, and leave them as mainly DPS skills.

I think that making Pillaging Stone function like Searing Vitality would be best.. Rock slide I don't know. Removing the cool-down couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Soul sky; 09-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Rock Slide doesn't help your raid buffing so it should not even be a glimmer in your eye until you have the raid buffs in order.

Just duel a chloro before the fight to put it up then refresh every 5min.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    I think that making Pillaging Stone function like Searing Vitality would be best..
    ^ this. Or just change it so 1 stack = 40 int.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DegnaRed View Post
    I know we can't expect to see any big shiny changes until Storm Legion and I'm okay with that. However, the bane of my raiding existence as Archon right now is actually Rock Slide. A six second channel, subject to push back (Fiercy Concentration does nothing for channeled spells), costing 60 charge and with a 30 second cooldown if you don't manage to build your six stacks.

On a fight like Sicaron, with constant raid damage, even at small amounts, it's going to take until the second cast to get all the stacks. Ituziel is similar, except you might get lucky at the beginning of the fight and not be targeted for Rain of Fire. Akylios is probably the worst offender for me so far though. The waves are predictable enough and I avoid channeling when they're pending, but Mana Pinchers seem to live for charge-stunning me during the channel, or an Abyssal Geyser wants to be my friend. There are plenty of other fights I could mention where Rock Slide is annoying to build.

There are a few options that occur to me to make this not quite so wrist slashy. The simplest might be just to remove the cooldown on Rock Slide; it's not good damage, so what is the cooldown gating besides getting the full 60 intelligence buff? Better options might include shortening the channel duration and/or making it immune to push back. I seem to remember Kervik saying there was an engineering problem with getting Fiery Concentration to work with channeled spells. Modifying the charge cost would be nice; it's a hassle, especially if you're looking to use Flaring Power early in the fight. I prefer to have all my buffs and debuffs in order before Flaring Power, but sometimes Rock Slide just has to wait until later. Less likely options could include reworking the power / talent point entirely, perhaps by having it increase the Pillaging Stone buff instead.

Any other thoughts? Am I just overly annoyed by one of the few decision making / timing skills Archon has? Is anyone else annoyed by this? Maybe Kervik can shed some light on the philosophy behind this ability?
    I do hope they don't go the WoW path and make classes easier and easier until they are MoP where there are not skill trees and you get 5 whole talent points.

All thou Bard should have a 51 talent to make their buffs 1 min instead of 30 secs.

Making buffs a cast once and never again is just bad game design. If you do that then you have WoW and it's one of the reasons I left. I'm sure in one more Xpac WoW will have zero talents and you'll have 1 button. You mash it and it puts up everything your class can do plus doing your DPS. Oh and every piece of gear will have 1 million stat points on it. That's so exciting:P

GW great design. TONS of stat points on gear. It's his claim to fame other than slowly killing WoW

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    I'd just as soon avoid this thread turning into the usual arguments about Pillaging Stone as used by dps mages, but this suggestion runs right into it. It's tricky enough for mages in general to duel for Pillaging Stone stacks before repeated pulls of the same boss, let alone to be the one guy taking even longer to build 60 charge and then cast a 6 second channel. I could probably be stubborn about it and get it done so long as I can find one person in my raid to play along as my target dummy. I'd still really like to see Rock Slide specifically changed to be less onerous, regardless of the state of Pillaging Stone.

As primary raid archon I just never use Rock slide - it is a dps loss at current gear level and a loss of temporary buffs uptime. Also I prefer charge to go for Power Drain then to a small bit of my personal DPS. And spending charge on Power Drain gains you a good DPS if you forgot.

So I wish it to be revamped or totally removed.
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Rock Slide doesn't help your raid buffing so it should not even be a glimmer in your eye until you have the raid buffs in order.

Rock slide should be the first ability to use a full bar of charge.

Flaring power should be the second.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

Quote Originally Posted by V1rul3n7 View Post
    Rock slide should be the first ability to use a full bar of charge.

Flaring power should be the second.
    http://ilovefunnypics.com/wp-content...ur-Goat....jpg

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by magisbladius View Post
    If PS and Rock Slide were removed with the next patch, I wouldn't miss them one bit. If we have to keep them, make QoL changes by moving the buffs to another ability, and leave them as mainly DPS skills.
    So just make the game easier?

No thanks.

You should have to keep buffs up. It's part of your job as DPS and Support or tanks or whatever you are playing.

Or we could turn Rift into WoW and you buff last from now until the end of time and just throw 500% more stats on every gear drop. That would be fun:P

All thou I'm all for helping Bards and the mindless mashing every 30sec. I think 1 min would be better.

I go so far as to say PS shouldn't effect things outside of Archon skills and talents. Oh you can use it but you get nothing for it but DPS. That solves the problem doesn't it:P

If Trion is going to make it a put it up and forget it talents and spells why even have them as talents and skills? They should just be core. You reach X level it's a passive. There's boring game design. Oh wait! That's WoW!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifyer View Post
    As primary raid archon I just never use Rock slide - it is a dps loss at current gear level and a loss of temporary buffs uptime. Also I prefer charge to go for Power Drain then to a small bit of my personal DPS. And spending charge on Power Drain gains you a good DPS if you forgot.

So I wish it to be revamped or totally removed.
    I don't see how Rock Slide works out to a dps loss over a boss length fight. Six seconds doing maybe half dps in exchange for an easily maintained 30 spell power and 60 crit over the rest of the fight, supposing you don't duel for your pillaging stones and rock slide as I've taken to doing since this post. The fun part was convincing my target cleric to stop Water Jetting me during Rock Slide, because of push back.

As far as personal dps goes, Archon will do better dps toggling Power Drain every GCD to proc Burning Purpose, and using Void Bolt in place of Pillaging Stone at the bottom of your macro, refreshing Life Leech. This works out to a net charge gain when done properly, and the only time to spend charge is if you need to leave Power Drain up, defensively. This method also stacks AMoP very easily, given a triple chance on most GCDs. On our last Ituziel fight I did over 2400 dps as Archon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissibow View Post
    Or we could turn Rift into WoW and you buff last from now until the end of time and just throw 500% more stats on every gear drop. That would be fun:P
    Somewhere between your strawman and the current state of things there might exist a setup that is more fun and less frustration while still requiring thought and perhaps skill.

Ascendant

Or better idea, make it where you cannot duel to get buffs early.

I think that in itself is a terrible mechanic, borderline exploit. Consider trinkets, which Trion changed from 0-delay to 30-second delay because it wasn't intended to trinket-swap. (Though this fix didn't actually solve the issue)

I'm not saying necessarily force these into combat-applications only with no other changes, but it makes it easier to balance around for the future.

As for the OPs original argument, I think it's very flawed. Rock Slide is an irrelevant ability in the grand scheme of things, just a small personal buff.
    Last edited by Ahov; 09-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Or better idea, make it where you cannot duel to get buffs early.
    Then we just need to go find trash mobs to put the buffs up, or recall to sanctum and use the dummies. I'm really not sure what they could do with the mechanic but as it is now it is not fun.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-28-2012 at 11:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast