+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to mage class

Default New to mage class

Hy guys. I have recently switched from cleric to mage becouse of lack of dps. So i was hoping if you could give me some tips.
    First i would like to know what is the best build for groups and raids? I am currently using 51pyro and the other points i put in warlock and 0 in stormcaller, based on my expert dungeon gwlear i am pleased with my dps, its low but i have low gear.

Second i would like to know where can i get the necromancer gear? You know the red armor like wherln you look at the necromancer class in rift official site. i have looked through many merchants and couldnt find it :/

Thirdly, o which stats should i focus more on? I know spell power is crucial, but what is next intelect for max mana or wisdom for mana regen.?

I appreciate for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by xBehemothx View Post
    Hy guys. I have recently switched from cleric to mage becouse of lack of dps. So i was hoping if you could give me some tips.
    First i would like to know what is the best build for groups and raids? I am currently using 51pyro and the other points i put in warlock and 0 in stormcaller, based on my expert dungeon gwlear i am pleased with my dps, its low but i have low gear.

Second i would like to know where can i get the necromancer gear? You know the red armor like wherln you look at the necromancer class in rift official site. i have looked through many merchants and couldnt find it :/

Thirdly, o which stats should i focus more on? I know spell power is crucial, but what is next intelect for max mana or wisdom for mana regen.?

I appreciate for the answers.
    First, browse through http://www.bluedots.org/ It's not a high end mage resource, but it does have some good information for those that are just starting.

Gear-List Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...3o1bC1nNzgtUUU

For DPS(Pre Raid T2):

-High AoE with decent ST
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-pve-dps.html

-High ST with decent AoE
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-rotation.html

For DPS(Raid T2+):

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...dps-guide.html

For Healing (Chloro):

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...cer-guide.html

For the Necro Wardrobe, not sure. GL if you do find it.

For Stat distribution, always go for spellpower. Everything else will come naturally.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

As a relatively fresh 50, 51 pyro is going to work pretty well. I'd switch your 0 point to Archon and get 5 stacks of Pillaging Stones and Searing Vitality.

The red gear shown on the Necromancer page drops in River of Souls. Also I think it's one of the Defiant vendor sets, but I'm not sure as I play a Guardian.

After spell power, you should focus on intelligence and then wisdom. Each point of intelligence gives you 0.5 spell power and 1 spell crit. Wisdom will give you 0.5 spell power. Max mana from int is probably more useful overall than the wisdom mana regen (it has a relatively low diminishing return) but most of my specs are infinite mana.

Ascendant

It is the defiant T1 raid set purchased with MOA, except for the shoulders - they drop off Alsbeth and the T1 shoulders a different.

pieces of the set also drop in the rest of ROS, I think Galenir drops the robe. not sure about the other pieces

thanks for the tips guys.

and if may i just says: WOW to the mage class.
    I really didnt know that my clerics dps was so bad until i started playing mage. I mean i currently have only expert dungeon gear, and im doing more damage than with my cleric who has full t1 and bits of t2 gear.

but i miss the endurance, mages have really bad endurance :/ But the word is that the harbinger is going to be more survivable "fingers crossed".

Amd yes, i've looked into ROS loot, and you can get the necromancer gear there. I dont know the name of the boss who drops it, but i know its the one that turns into a wolf ;)

I really didnt know that my clerics dps was so bad until i started playing mage. I mean i currently have only expert dungeon gear, and im doing more damage than with my cleric who has full t1 and bits of t2 gear.

but i miss the endurance, mages have really bad endurance :/ But the word is that the harbinger is going to be more survivable "fingers crossed".
    wait till you get a warrior to T1 dungeon gear and it does more DPS than your mage in HK 4-piece... with three buttons

Chloro builds have the highest HP of pretty much any non-tank spec
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    wait till you get a warrior to T1 dungeon gear and it does more DPS than your mage in HK 4-piece... with three buttons

Chloro builds have the highest HP of pretty much any non-tank spec
    Well yea :P My spells take forever to be cast, and warriors dont have cast time
    I would pick warrior as my alt, but i already had a 39mage, and didnt want to go through the xp grinding again :/

use 0 point archon and keep the searing vitality 5 min buff up, you'll then have more HP than clerics
    Zykey Mage - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF
    Zykelot Cleric - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF

Champion of Telara

18 Chloro and liberal use of radiant spores once you get the 2 piece & crystal. Hardy enough for anything that doesnt need a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    18 Chloro and liberal use of radiant spores once you get the 2 piece & crystal. Hardy enough for anything that doesnt need a tank.
    what about 51 pyro, and 15 chloro?
    or 51 storm and 15 chloro?

what about 51 pyro, and 15 chloro?
    or 51 storm and 15 chloro?
    No, those specs are pretty useless for any real content.

Read everything in Eclipze's post and follow it to the letter.
    He knows what he's doing.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    No, those specs are pretty useless for any real content.

Read everything in Eclipze's post and follow it to the letter.
    He knows what he's doing.
    ok, will do.

Btw, about gearing up, i currently have a full t1 gear, and when doing dungeons whhich marks should i choose greater or infernal?
    By the looks of it, i will not be getting id gear anytime soon, so the next step for me is rotp and hk, so it would be more logical to go with greater marks, right?

Champion of Telara

They're not useless - sub-optimal, but not useless.

The 18 chloro i mentioned applies to solo farming only. In a dungeon / raid you would have a tank so survivability is kinda redundant as long as boss mechanics cant 1-shot you. The reason i say 18 is the endurance boost from raised in nature.

51 pyro 15 chloro would be kinda meh, but 51 pyro 10 lock 5 archon will get you through experts and T1 pretty well.

For want of a better way to put it theres some serious diminishing returns for points in SC - i've never seen a reason to go beyond 44 points and tbh 38 would generally be enough to max your aoe damage.

I've never raided much, even though im geared well enough for HK - mainly because it doesnt hold my interest. You may as well go for HK mark gear though since the chances are once SL lands HK and ID gear may become obsolete fairly quickly anyways.

I dont like some of the builds eclipze posted but they will do the job well enough. Pretty soon we're all going to be experimenting and trying out new stuff so i suspect most will change - 38/28 pyro-lock in particular i think is going to change a lot.

Damn, i wished i wouldnt spend the last two weeks collecting ID points :P ah what you gonna do, few trips to HK will do the trick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast