+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pillaging Stone, worthless?

Default Pillaging Stone, worthless?

I have been playing a mage for the last few months. Progressing through raiding now. I built my mage using advice from the forum guides and Bluedots. I find it a very successful build and I am happy with my progression.
    On thing that seems universal is the use of Pillaging Stone in rotations. Why does this show up everywhere? Mathematically it should be a big benefit. However, I don't see it in practice. I have tried using it on and off but every time I try to add it into my rotation my DPS suffers greatly. Trying to get 5 stacks at the beginning of the fight causes my DPS to suffer and be behind for the rest of the encounter. Throwing one every rotation has a lesser detriment but it is still there. The stat bonus isn't really that high to begin with.
    So, at this point I have ceased its use during dungeons and raids. I still keep it up when doing zone dailies but that's it.

Is it me or is it that it really isn't a practically useful ability? It feels like wasted points to me.
    Do not be to moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not Simply good; be good for something.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Duel someone before to get stacks up. Solved.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Quote Originally Posted by 60213979 View Post
    Trying to get 5 stacks at the beginning of the fight causes my DPS to suffer and be behind for the rest of the encounter.
    I think the idea is that you're supposed to duel someone in your party before the fight starts so that you don't waste any time getting your stack to 5.

Seems like an odd mechanic for a measly 40 int boost. I can do that with runes and pots and not have to mess with it. What does everyone see on their DPS meters when trying to stack it and keep it up?
    My DPS will drop anywhere from 200 to 900 dps depending on whether I'm stacking or maintaining.
    Maintaining it isn't too terrible effects my overall performance. The cast time is too long. IF I can catch it on an Opportunity proc and I don't have CB up it is fine. Otherwise its a big waste because it doesn't hit nearly as hard as a fireball
    Do not be to moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not Simply good; be good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    Duel someone before to get stacks up. Solved.
    With the undertones of scrutiny in mumble abound. I find rogues complain the most about it. You would think they would be used to it by now.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 09-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Rift Disciple

You only have to refresh Pillaging stones once every five minutes. That is an exchange of 30 Sp for 1 GCD every 5 minutes. That is a great trade off.

If a rogue has 1600 AP, using Annihilate every 30sec is the equivalent of 24 Ap per 1 GCD. (10 GCDs per 5 minutes, 240 total bonus)
    <Everlasting Vendetta> -- Greybriar-PvE
    Noxus - Mathosian Warrior - 2/4 FT, 4/4 ToSQ, 2/5 EE

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Seems like an odd mechanic for a measly 40 int boost. I can do that with runes and pots and not have to mess with it. What does everyone see on their DPS meters when trying to stack it and keep it up?
    My DPS will drop anywhere from 200 to 900 dps depending on whether I'm stacking or maintaining.
    Maintaining it isn't too terrible effects my overall performance. The cast time is too long. IF I can catch it on an Opportunity proc and I don't have CB up it is fine. Otherwise its a big waste because it doesn't hit nearly as hard as a fireball
    Maintaining PS should not be dropping DPS that much. Something else is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    With the undertones of scrutiny in mumble abound. I find rogues complain the most about it. You would think they would be used to it by now.
    They have the least reason to complain about it now since clerics/mages have to drink for mana after duels and (I think) it makes it so warriors lose attack points they've saved up. Does diddly-squat to CP.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

I can do that with runes and pots and not have to mess with it.
    Considering that nothing overwrites PS, no. No you can not.

Rift Disciple

I hope PS is remade. The process of needing to duel, every time you wipe, in order to stack buffs seems archaic and anti-fun. It's not the same as re-eating your cake via one click. A re-application of a 5-minute buff on your best spammable doesn't sound right either. The buff is always needed and easily obtainable, yet kind of tedious. When playing defilemancer, I don't miss PS one bit.

Ascendant

I hate PS. We don't duel beforehand because we don't feel good about having to hold up the whole raid just to gain 100 dps, but yeah. Annoying.

Needs to be identical to searing vitality imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    I hate PS. We don't duel beforehand because we don't feel good about having to hold up the whole raid just to gain 100 dps, but yeah. Annoying.
    Good luck with your Akylios progression

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro
    Cleric : 4/4 : 5/5
    ~NA First Infinite Perfection~

Can I have your pillaging stone stacks?
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by The Witchking View Post
    Good luck with your Akylios progression
    We killed Aky months ago.. if we're ever short on dps for ID stuff we might have to do that, but our 2 dps mages losing 100 dps is really not our main issue anyway...

PS on live is a pita.
    Something needs to be changed with it, either making it like SV, making the buff drop off when you leave combat to make dueling impossible, or through soul tree adjustments.
    Nope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast