+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Soul sky
  • 1 Post By mo0trix

Thread: Storm Legion Mage Theorycrafting

Soulwalker

Default Storm Legion Mage Theorycrafting

Storm Legion Mage Theory-Crafting

Note: I have not seen the soul trees, as they have not been shown to players yet. All that is in this guide is information Trion HAS given us and is mostly content from the live stream soul reveal. I cannot provide point allocations, but I will give you rough > = <’s, this is all i can do for now, and when I know more, I will update this.

PvP

Overview

As with current PvP, Elementalist, Necromancer and Archon will not be very viable. Pet classes rarely succeed in PvP due to low survivability, no enemies targeting your pet, and no CC. Archon’s buffs are typically overridden by Bard buffs, and debuffs won’t matter as targets die quickly nonetheless. With the change to Neddra’s Torture, Warlock will be more of an option, but targets will most likely die before DoTs run out.

Healing

This one is easy. With all of the Harbinger’s utility, damage and survivability (dodge, parry and scythe buff), it is a great bonus for mage PvP. Seeing as how you will be CC’ed, bursted and otherwise annoyed, Harbinger is a fantastic choice. The only reason why this in the healing section of PvP is that it deals life damage. While Trion has said that they will ‘divorce’ your total healing from your veils, I think that this will still work.
    Chloromancer > Harbinger > Dominator

Damage

This really depends on the warfront that you are doing the most.

Small Maps (Codex, Black Garden, and Library of the Runemasters): You will want AoE damage, as everyone will be clumped in team fights. Also, you want to support your team (who will also be clumped) by AoE healing.
    Stormcaller > Dominator > Chloromancer

PvPvE (Conquest, and Battle of Port Scion): You need to burst down enemies to complete objectives and kill high-health NPCs. This means that the PyroLock is your best bet. For your third tree, go with either Dominator (for CC) or Harbinger (survivability and cast time reductions).
    Pyromancer > Warlock > Dominator/Harbinger

Medium (Whitefall Steppes, or just a General PvP spec): You are going to want utility, survivability and CC for solo fights to wait for your team to come help. This is also great for flag carrying and stalling enemies. For new PvPers or those of you who need extra survivability, your third tree should be Chloromancer. If you want utility, Dominator is a better choice.
    Harbinger > Pyromancer > Chloromancer/Dominator

PvE

Damage

Chloromancer, Dominator and Archon will not be viable (for obvious reasons).

I expect Harbinger to combo well with Pyromancer (if Spark hasn’t been changed. An instant cast spec would probably be game breaking: hint Trion) and Stormcaller (targets with Hypothermia would take extra damage. A free Icicle every melee ability would really boost damage). As for a third spec, StormBingers should take Pyromancer if they have a few points left or Archon if they don’t.

They did mention that a Elementalist/Necromancer combo would be viable for pet lovers. For those of us with lag, this is a good option. They said that all specs would scale equally with SP/SC, but with pets (exempt from this) as a big chunk of your damage, low geared players (new 60s perhaps) will also find a nice spec with this. As for a third spec, the Warlock DoTs with Ignite and Necrosis give you some nice damage and a nice challenge.

Pyromancer > Harbinger > Archon
    Harbinger > Stormcaller > Pyromancer/Archon
    Elementalist = Necromancer > Warlock

Healing

Chloromancer is obviously the king of the hill here, but with only 10 extra points and spark taking around 10 more points to get, PyroChloro is out the window. Instead the ChloroLock and ChloroBinger will be on top of raid healing. Even with veils not being the bulk of your healing, Harbinger looks to be a nice tree for a hybrid, due to the Axe buff and life damage.

ChloroBinger is a MELEE HEALER!!!!!!!!!

Warlock will give Opportunity (with what Kervick said about longer cast time = more healing, Opportunity is looking good) and Sacrifice Life: Damage, which will boost veil healing (though that isn’t as significant anymore ).

Full Chloromancer with the rest in Pyromancer is still what Tank Healers will want.
    Chloromancer > Harbinger > Warlock
    Chloromancer > Warlock > Archon/Pyromancer
    61 Chloromancer > Pyromancer > Archon

Harbinger

Off-Soul
    Harbinger is, from what I can tell, well thought out. Life damage and Axe buff make it a good off-spec for Chloromancer. Air damage fits with the expansion and compliments the Stormcaller. Instant cast spells and cast time reduction fits Spark and the Pyromancer tree. I think that this will be used a fair amount as an off-spec.

Main-Soul

Harbinger is proof that Trion is making an effort to make Rift a Melee friendly game. The only thing about “Melee Friendly” is that ranged characters can move into melee and keep firing, but Melee can’t just move away from the target and expect the same DPS. I am curious as to how Trion will figure this one out. Harbinger will undoubtedly work well with Stormcaller and Pyromancer, but in a fight where you have to disconnect from the target; Warlock and its DoTs might be the way to go (even though Pyromancer and Stormcaller both have instant cast spells for a range).

Macros

I know that Trion is making an effort to make all classes less macro dependant and more skill based. One of the Harbinger’s cooldowns is a spell that lets you cast Melee abilities at a range. This means that you will have to monitor your cooldowns BUT it says something about macro structure. Your average macro will look like the following:

#show Ability
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Casted Melee Abilities (if any)
    cast Instant Melee Abilities
    cast Ranged Cast Time Abilities
    cast Instant Ranged Abilities
    cast Break Free

Thanks for bearing with me!
    Razaxx@Deepwood

1) You have only seen a glimpse of the changes and there is no way to know what talents may appear/disappear to completely change the way Mage specs are put together

2) Most of the changes you have saw are likely to be tweaked, overhauled or even removed, according to testing, before the expansion is actually released

3) You have no idea what or how values/modifiers have been nerfed/buffed/created in order to have any place to say if anything will be viable or non-viable

4) Your laughable description of souls PvP viability and what map suits which souls only shows your lack of competence to comment on the area

5) You uses phrases such as ''This one is easy.'' All this says to me is you have the mindset of ''I will try to cover everything even though I know very little...''

This is not theory crafting. You are simply making poorly informed guesses using a stream and the current body of Mage knowledge as grounding, which is stupid since this knowledge isn't going to remain consistent in the expansion.

In short, you've tried to write a book about what you think the picture of a jig-saw puzzle will be after placing down one of a hundred pieces.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Too soon, too soon.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    1) You have only seen a glimpse of the changes and there is no way to know what talents may appear/disappear to completely change the way Mage specs are put together

2) Most of the changes you have saw are likely to be tweaked, overhauled or even removed, according to testing, before the expansion is actually released

While yes, I have only seen a glimpse of what will be in the expansion and many things will be changed, there will be a massive influx of Mage theorycrafting as the PTS opens. This is not meant to be a bible for mages going into Storm Legion. All this is is a base for people seeing storm legion for the first time. I do intend to follow up on this once I know more, but until I do, this is all I can offer, I am sorry if it is not what you hoped for.

Last edited by mo0trix; 08-31-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razaxx View Post
    Storm Legion Mage Theory-Crafting

ChloroBinger is a MELEE HEALER!!!!!!!!![/CENTER]
    Sorry but it's got to be called Chloringer. It sound much better. Trademark INTIM

PS Good Idea but far too soon and speculative topic without hard numbers
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

I like the concept of what you are trying to do.

/Tinfoil hat
    What is gonna annoy this mage is the fact that after release I can say that I am 99.97863% sure this soul is gonna get "female dog slapped" and end up not being a viable end game PvE damage spec. My fear is because of its defensive ability's it may have its damage toned down as to be balanced in PvP. I may need to lay of the coffee but that has been my fear since day 1.

/sane person
    I am really excited for the changes in general. I really would be excited if the new top DPS spec isn't another pyro/lock combo. If it ends up including a pet tho...as long as its necro, but I doubt that will happen. I dont know enough about our healing changes to even feel justified making a smart alek remark.

Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    I like the concept of what you are trying to do.

/Tinfoil hat
    What is gonna annoy this mage is the fact that after release I can say that I am 99.97863% sure this soul is gonna get "female dog slapped" and end up not being a viable end game PvE damage spec. My fear is because of its defensive ability's it may have its damage toned down as to be balanced in PvP. I may need to lay of the coffee but that has been my fear since day 1.

/sane person
    I am really excited for the changes in general. I really would be excited if the new top DPS spec isn't another pyro/lock combo. If it ends up including a pet tho...as long as its necro, but I doubt that will happen. I dont know enough about our healing changes to even feel justified making a smart alek remark.
    You're definitely right about the PvP aspect. At least if it were plonked in with the current PvP playfield. With that Harbringer heal proccing every 5 seconds a Chlorodom would be even more ''impossible'' to take down and OP.

Though offensively I think it looks ok right now. Things like proccing instant cast off the GCD attacks when dodging may seem OP but it would never proc due to how everyone has +hit. Well, I could only imagine it proccing against Clerics/Mages who are fighting in melee range and you dodge their auto attack o.o. But as has been said, absolutely everything can change. The mage souls, PvP entirely, etc.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Ascendant

It was confirmed already that spark was changed. I don't think we have enough info for this anyway.

+ Reply to Thread