+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Slightly depressed Mage...really only one option??

Default Slightly depressed Mage...really only one option??

Hey everyone. My and like 4 other friends came back to Rift recently. When we did instead of playing our old toons we just rolled new ones and have had a great time. We are now lvl 50. We PvP a good amount and have now gotten in a active guild and looking to mix up the PvP with some raiding etc.

I of course picked Mage. I leveled as a Necro/Warlock. Enjoyed it a good bit. For PvE purposes your pretty much immortal if you play smart with the the pet, Soul Purge life drain and a Feign Death every 30 seconds. Im like Prestige 27 and have half Lt Gear and half Constable gear.

Ive noticed that however now at 50 my DPS leaves some to be desired because of the DoT/Drain nature of it because I dont have any real burst dps. In PvP I get out DPS'd even by people with equal or worse gear and same in 5 man expert runs.

To get to the point....is it really so shallow as your only option is some variation of Pyro. Everywhere I look its "Uberbutt's Pyro PvP build" , "Joeblows Pyro Raid build of DOOM" and so on. Is it really at endgame for PvP and PvE that either you play a Chloro healer or Pyro DPS or get the hell out? I hate that it seems that way.

I know some people will say "Just play what you like.." but I would like that to be at least something viable as well as interesting without being the same as 98% of the other Mages on the game. Perhaps Im just looking at it wrong so please if there is something Im missing let me know. Ive only been back at the game for like 2 months...but it seems like everything I see...everyone I talk to play a Mage....everyone...is some variation of Pyro. Its depressing if it has devolved to that level.

Plane Walker

Yup every spec requires Pyro, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ911 View Post
    Yup every spec requires Pyro, enjoy.
    Except ChloroDom
    Nope.

You would think people would do a little research on their class before hitting 50.

But unfortunately a lot don't.

Pyro is still the best soul out of any class and goes with basically every other soul nicely.

36 30 Stormcaller Pyro plays like a Stormcaller and only uses one Pyro spell (Flame Bolt) occasionally, you might want to try looking into that. It has the best AoE damage output for a Mage, and it's single target is around 20%(?) less than the top specs
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    You would think people would do a little research on their class before hitting 50.

Pyro is still the best soul out of any class and goes with basically every other soul nicely.

I guess that was intended as a knock on me. Im sorry that I was interested in playing a Mage class but didnt research it prior to rolling to find out that only either Pyro DPS or Chloro Heal was viable in most situations. I guess it was crazy of me to think that a Dual class system game with 8 classes in this calling would end up being one Chloro/Dom build and 5 or so Pyro primary builds lol.

I understand what your saying though.

Honestly, I did sorta scan the forums early in my leveling and noticed everyone was talking about Pyro all the time. I just didnt think that 95% of the players playing Mages would be playing that as its hands down the best DPS mold in game all around.

I guess it will be interesting to see if some of that changes with expansion and the additional levels.

Pretty much all the classes are like this. There are souls that suck, and souls that don't. I'm hoping it will be somewhat rectified with Storm Legion. For the most part though, you'll just have to deal with it. Whether that means dealing with it by accepting subpar performance playing necromancer, or dealing with it by playing a spec you don't necessarily enjoy as much, you'll have to do one of the two.

For PVP though, Dominator and Chloromancer are pretty viable non-pyro builds. Chlorodom, Chlorolock, Full Chloro and Full Dom are all viable PVP builds.
    ~Quiescent

^ What Zaros said about PvP.

For PvE there are plenty of viable non-Pyro builds you can run. You're not at the bleeding edge of content progression, so there's absolutely no need to pigeon-hole yourself into the absolute best of the best (with honours) DPS specs.

Viable DPS specs include:

Deep Ele (44-51 pts)
    Deep Lock (51 pts - top build picks up a bit of Necro)
    SC/Ele (builds vary)
    SC/Pyro (as someone above said, yes there's Pyro, but you're using SC-based spells)

You can get to around HK raid level with any of these specs without noticing a significant shortfall in DPS in your average raid, though once you get your HK 4-piece the power of the Pyro/Lock specs really starts to shine.

In a raid setting you can also play Archon, which is relatively fun.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Pretty much all the classes are like this. There are souls that suck, and souls that don't. I'm hoping it will be somewhat rectified with Storm Legion. For the most part though, you'll just have to deal with it. Whether that means dealing with it by accepting subpar performance playing necromancer, or dealing with it by playing a spec you don't necessarily enjoy as much, you'll have to do one of the two.

For PVP though, Dominator and Chloromancer are pretty viable non-pyro builds. Chlorodom, Chlorolock, Full Chloro and Full Dom are all viable PVP builds.
    51pyro/15 chloro is my personal favorite. Ruin + bloom keep you alive in 1v1s, with the full burst of pyro and escape tools, reduced silence/stuns etc. And honestly, dom CC is garbage. Bonds is much stronger as an 8s unbreakable root than sheep is when you want to heat wave someone down. If you really want a sheep you can 0 point it.

Also Pyro/Dom with heat wave + split personality. Every 2 minutes, you will not lose a fight with those 2 CDs. Until you get purged, but hey, it's an easy way to GG someone quickly.

it takes a certain kind of personality to enjoy pvp as a mage
    if its you, you will love it, if not then dont struggle, just try something else
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    it takes a certain kind of personality to enjoy pvp as a mage
    if its you, you will love it, if not then dont struggle, just try something else
    a personality of either liking dots for pve since 1.6 or farting fireball for pvp dmg only since 1.7

All hail Storm Legion!
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post

Rift is a game, not a homework assignment. One should not need to research in order to enjoy, and the callings should have better variety than we currently see in the Mage calling.

Storm Legion should rectify the problem , but I do hope that some effort is made to boost the lackluster souls for 1.10.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post

Mage and I believe Cleric are particularly limited in PvP since they only have one viable DPS soul: Pyro and Inq. Warriors have Champ as well as RB, and rogues have Sab, MM, and Assassin/NB. Most people want to play DPS, so the limitations of the mage and cleric are much more obvious.

I know SL is going to rework many sould, and hopefully make most of them viable. That doesn't mean souls like SC, Necro, Ele, and Warlock shoudn't get a boost in the meantime.

I'm fortunate to be a fan of healing, else I likely wouldn't bother PvPing with my mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Mage and I believe Cleric are particularly limited in PvP since they only have one viable DPS soul: Pyro and Inq. Warriors have Champ as well as RB, and rogues have Sab, MM, and Assassin/NB. Most people want to play DPS, so the limitations of the mage and cleric are much more obvious.

I know SL is going to rework many sould, and hopefully make most of them viable. That doesn't mean souls like SC, Necro, Ele, and Warlock shoudn't get a boost in the meantime.

I'm fortunate to be a fan of healing, else I likely wouldn't bother PvPing with my mage.
    Warriors only have one viable DPS soul if we're talking PvP, Riftblade. Champion without Riftblade is just a poor Lingering Wounds applier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Warriors only have one viable DPS soul if we're talking PvP, Riftblade. Champion without Riftblade is just a poor Lingering Wounds applier.
    51 champ hits like a truck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast