+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pet stats/toughness

Default pet stats/toughness

I'm leveling a mage and was wondering if someone could answer a question. I've read that pets get something like 25% of your stats, but would that include toughness?

So if you were able to get say 100 toughness on a mage, would your pet then have 25 or...?

As long as there is more than one player, PvP will be imbalanced.

Plane Walker

I believe for those 'gating' stats like hit / focus / toughness, your pet gets an equal amount of yours. Your focus will get converted equally to hit for melee pets, I know for sure. You will have a hard time finding much toughness as mage though, and none is needed while leveling - it's for level 50 and up content.

this is interesting if only for the hilarity of using toughness enhancing items to tank experts with a mage pet.

with elementalist rock pet (greater) and using improved quicken elements/sever bonds as well as manually managing the pet taunts you could probably legitimately tank and expert as a mage.

the question becomes what toughness enhancing items are available that we can use?
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Mages can only get 50 Toughness
    20 from Chest Rune
    30 from 2x Lesser Essences
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Mages can only get 50 Toughness
    20 from Chest Rune
    30 from 2x Lesser Essences
    what two lessers?

I only know of the one 20 toughness you can get from a planar focus (or whatever its called off the essence vendors)

There are also 40 toughness lesser essences, as of checking while gearing my Warrior a day ago.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Mage pets do not get toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Araenn View Post
    this is interesting if only for the hilarity of using toughness enhancing items to tank experts with a mage pet.

with elementalist rock pet (greater) and using improved quicken elements/sever bonds as well as manually managing the pet taunts you could probably legitimately tank and expert as a mage.

the question becomes what toughness enhancing items are available that we can use?
    "with elementalist rock pet (greater) and using improved quicken elements/sever bonds as well as manually managing the pet taunts you could probably legitimately tank and expert as a mage."

The pet would never be able to hold aggro in a party.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    what two lessers?

I only know of the one 20 toughness you can get from a planar focus (or whatever its called off the essence vendors)
    There's also a 10 Toughness one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    There are also 40 toughness lesser essences, as of checking while gearing my Warrior a day ago.
    Really?
    I've never seen that, and it isn't on Zam.

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/ADCFB8C0...ck-Planar-Lens
    and
    http://rift.zam.com/en/item/A8A69591...ed-Planar-Lens
    Are the only ones I know of.
    Nope.

I did a lot of experimenting with a tank pet, trying to solo a t1 dungeon. Mage pets do not get toughness, they do however get hit points based off you end. and the heal spell Quick Elements heals quickly for a lot. So as long as your pet can take the critical hits, you can heal through it, even without toughness. Also soul purge will work on elementalist pets.

The problem I had was out-putting DPS and heals at the same time. And some boss mechanics proved to be very difficult to handle solo. I have not tried the experts since they removed the t1s and made them all t2s, but I have been thinking of a new spec.

Here are some videos of me messing around in a t1.

Trash Pulls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127O-6gJ-UU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51jn68Xu00

Boss Kills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-0S6BVxI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XbdxcgWauc

And this is my old mage pet tank spec.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...xtco0gkApz.Mcb

I am gonna start working on something different now, I still want to solo an entire expert and I'd like to do it before the expansion.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 08-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.

If you want to solo an instance your best bet would be something like 51 Ele/15 SC for trash and maybe 15 Pyro for Boss fights
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    If you want to solo an instance your best bet would be something like 51 Ele/15 SC for trash and maybe 15 Pyro for Boss fights
    How is your progress going for soloing an expert?

To solo you want some means to self heal or you will not get pass any boss fight where you take damage or have adds spawn that your tank pet can not pick up right away. The earth tank pet has a single target force that is on a 15 sec CD and a AE force that is on 20 sec and only hits 4 mobs, not to mention that both of these are melee range. Having some type of self healing is not only needed for many of the boss mechanics but also makes trash spawns much easier to handle. That is why I like Soul Purge, as it heals the tank, heals you and does damage all at the same time.

I only see one for 40 and one for 20, but I also noticed that they are listed as unique family and they say "You may only have one Planar Lens equipped at a time" . I am guessing the most you can get from a sigil is 40. But with 60 toughness, it might be easier, in terms of soloing an expert, to drop the pet and tank everything yourself.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 08-28-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahcp View Post
    I only see one for 40 and one for 20, but I also noticed that they are listed as unique family and they say "You may only have one Planar Lens equipped at a time" . I am guessing the most you can get from a sigil is 40. But with 60 toughness, it might be easier, in terms of soloing an expert, to drop the pet and tank everything yourself.
    I used an ele/necro/dom spec to solo experts. Was fairly effective. Earth ele, and using soul purge + Quicken.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast