+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Disapointed in SL's inclusion of Spark and thus continued reliance on Pyro

Rift Disciple

Default Disapointed in SL's inclusion of Spark and thus continued reliance on Pyro

The teaser video showed they've decided to keep Spark and even moved it higher in the Pyro tree. Since Spark's release it has been the savior of dps and the demise of versatility in mage builds. Now I know the most common rebuttal will be that the rest of the tree's will be changed to hopefully provide as much dps, synergy, and utility as is provided by deep pyro now....but I have my doubts. Kervik himself admitted to not believing pyro and harbinger would be a good pair; 1 sec gcd, gcd removal procs, highest scaling 2 sec cast spell, and tons of damage boosts from going that deep into pyro? Hello!?

I was hoping complete removal of spark and our base gcd being reduced to 1 sec, since as our current souls stand it wouldn't change much of anything except adding actual versatility besides pyro everything that still wouldn't compete with pyro/lock in dps. The change would've push SC into a useable form and given deep lock players a chance to meet at least raid dps requirements. Moving it lower in pyro would've been a more sense-able change since it would've at least allowed access for other builds to incorporate. Once you go that deep into pyro, not using fire and all of the utility it offers just doesn't make sense which is why so many of us complain of being pigeon holed into exact specs and playstyles.

Will Storm Legion bring just more of the same? Pyro/harbinger Pyro/lock Pyro/Chloro Pyro/SC This is a trend I'm growing tired of all because of Spark being so high, and now higher in the tree. I was paying attention when he said 'Not all souls will be good at everything' which i read as pets will still suck and pyro will still be good at dps....but lower Spark or do away with it so pyro isn't still the best for everything. The ability to react faster, to cast more instants in less time which will be even more apparent with Harbinger's procs, and making every spammable skill that much more effecient will still be as broken as it is now.
    Last edited by Macadami; 08-19-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Could you PM me the winning Powerball numbers for the week of SL release?

One would assume that the devs are smart enough to understand the over-arching issue highlighted by Spark, and are acting accordingly when it comes to bringing other souls up to par damage-wise. It isn't hard to render Spark a large waste of points - especially if it is moved deeper into the Pyro tree - if the main soul in a build relies on cast times of 1.5s+ and/or instants with cooldowns as the main source of its damage.

My head is seriously going to explode if SL comes and I have to switch between 1.5 and 1.0 GCD on a frequent basis.

They really need to make the GCD 1.0 across the board, trash Spark, and balance the souls from there. This is the perfect opportunity to do it; please Kervik, do not waste the chance.

Spark will only affect Fire abilities in Storm Legion.
    Mark my words.
    Nope.

Ascendant

Or they can balance other trees so they have something comparable.

We really won't know until SL is live probably.

All dots should be a 1 second global since they have a tick time to do damage and while other classes are doing more burst we are busy setting up dots on our first rotation, so it seems only fair.

Spark should only effect opp procs, heatwave, and flame bolt etc.

Fulminate should increase combust stacks by 2 on the target and reset combustions stacks since you have to burn a full charge bar instead of using the charge on IC for 20% damage increase. Duration 16 seconds to match max dot tick time. Cooldown is 45 seconds on fuliminate, so the 2nd rotations sequence you can toggle IC on. Also might make toggling armor proc buffs a viable option.
    ****Or 61 point talent that lets you use 2 armor buff at once****

Nedd torture should have a improved version deep in the warlock tree that increase dot crit damage 30% (Dots should be 100% damage bonus since they are not direct damage) Not a unstable affliction copy cat skill.

nedd grasps changed to dots on the target have a 50% chance to explode if they are dispelled doing damage to targets within a 10m radius as well. Change cast time to 1.0 so you can piggy back one dot behind it.

Radiate death: Should put a pulsing purple cloud around target. Each pulse does aoe damage. Duration 10 seconds, cooldown 10 seconds. Casting this then using Devouring shadows at its weakend state would give some punch back to lack luster aoe in Lock tree.
    I want to see the light leave your eyes
    Feeling your breath on my lips one last time
    I want to see the light leave your eyes.
    Feeling your breath for the last time.
    God rest your soul is mine....

Quote Originally Posted by Lalothen View Post
    One would assume that the devs are smart enough to understand the over-arching issue highlighted by Spark, and are acting accordingly when it comes to bringing other souls up to par damage-wise. It isn't hard to render Spark a large waste of points - especially if it is moved deeper into the Pyro tree - if the main soul in a build relies on cast times of 1.5s+ and/or instants with cooldowns as the main source of its damage.
    it is hard to render something that potent a waste of points, especially with it being in a tree that already has some decent abilities to begin with.

Tempest is a classic example from early rift. during beta it was a low-tree elementalist talent, and could be had easily, so nearly everything took it. then when it was moved up for live, everything still took it because of the huge boost critical magnitude gave in the mechanics of rift's damage system.

then spark happened, you know the rest.

things like spark and tempest are a lesson to be learned from, that if you provide an ability that outshines most others, to a large magnitude, it will get abused and every spec will use it. spark is especially bad because there are almost no specs that do not benefit from its effects. removing it and either moving mage to 1 second global, or returning mage to universal 1.5sec global would make balancing much easier.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

wow you guys are a bunch of whiners

Quote Originally Posted by Fryday View Post
    wow you guys are a bunch of whiners
    *Look at your Pope profile pic and reply*

Amen
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

NVM not even worth it
    Last edited by utterchaos; 08-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    I want to see the light leave your eyes
    Feeling your breath on my lips one last time
    I want to see the light leave your eyes.
    Feeling your breath for the last time.
    God rest your soul is mine....

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Spark doesnt work the same way in Storm Legion the last time I played pyromancer.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Spark doesnt work the same way in Storm Legion the last time I played pyromancer.

~Daglar
    Damn you Daglar and your vague comments of doom!

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

~Daglar
    Reduced casting speed or more damage output, me thinks...
    --BC

Ascendant

~Daglar
    ah you have made me a happy mage today Daglar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast