+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Charge dump change on PTS = slight mage dps nerf

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Default Charge dump change on PTS = slight mage dps nerf

Many mages have been using this trick since the game came out: toggle a charge dump like internalize charge, cast a channeled ability firestorm, turn off internalize charge and the entire duration of firestorm benefits from IC even though you only consumed charge for a split second. You can no longer do this on PTS because toggling off the charge consumer interrupts channeled abilities.

Didn't see another thread on this or see in notes but I didn't really look too hard either so sorry if this is old news.

Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post
    Many mages have been using this trick since the game came out: toggle a charge dump like internalize charge, cast a channeled ability firestorm, turn off internalize charge and the entire duration of firestorm benefits from IC even though you only consumed charge for a split second. You can no longer do this on PTS because toggling off the charge consumer interrupts channeled abilities.

Didn't see another thread on this or see in notes but I didn't really look too hard either so sorry if this is old news.
    About time.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the basic issue, which is that channels benefit from the damage buff they started with. If your charge or SLD or the flame bolt buff is timed to run out in the middle of the channel, it'll still apply to the whole thing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    About time.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the basic issue, which is that channels benefit from the damage buff they started with. If your charge or SLD or the flame bolt buff is timed to run out in the middle of the channel, it'll still apply to the whole thing.
    That won't ever change without a complete redesign of the dot mechanic. All dots take their damage modifiers on cast, a channel is a dot with variable duration and therefore also takes its damage modifiers on cast. The only change they've done to dot mechanics since I started playing in beta 2 is making crit calculations on each tick instead of on cast (so that you won't get every tick crits or nothing crits).
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    About time.

That would require a change in mechanics which I doubt will ever happen.
    In anycase, the change was completely unnecessary -_-

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    That would require a change in mechanics which I doubt will ever happen.
    In anycase, the change was completely unnecessary -_-
    ^ this, seems like a silly change.

That is so silly. Unless, they actually prepare themselves for some new drastic changes with IC O.o
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Can you still toggle it off during an actual cast, or does this only affect channels? That could be ... bad.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Can you still toggle it off during an actual cast, or does this only affect channels? That could be ... bad.
    I'd like to know this as well.

Toggling it off during a cast means it wouldn't apply to that cast so the only thing that would really affect is Archons maximizing DPS by using it to proc Burning Purpose, which IMO was unintended anyway.

Plane Walker

The only reason I ask is cause there are times when I accidentally leave IC on during a fireball cast and switch it off to save charge. I wouldn't want to be interrupting my fireball by toggling it off.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Just tested with fireball, and toggling it off does indeed now cancel the cast.

Interesting... I could see interrupting a channel since it's like trying to use any other ability during a channel... but during a cast I would say just don't allow it to be detoggled

Losing charge does not count as toggling IC off does it? Since that would be really bad.

Ascendant

Lame x 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    Losing charge does not count as toggling IC off does it? Since that would be really bad.
    Doubtful as that wouldn't be user-activated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast