+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking For Level 50 Nec Builds... and any other advice

Soulwalker

Default Looking For Level 50 Nec Builds... and any other advice

I was wondering if there were any good Necromancer-inclusive builds for level 50+ in existence? I know there are some decent ones for pre-50, but I'm getting close to 50 so would like to get a little more serious here.

I looked through the Mage guides on this forum, but none seem to exist that I saw. I rather like Necromancer, for what reason I don't know, so anything ya'll got is good. I've been playing Trion's Nec/Loc, Gravelord, since I started a week ago, so I'm comfortable with that particular soul I guess.

P.S. I am NOT attached to Necromancer. I understand this game is all about flexibility, assuming you want the most out of it, so if you guys have any other particular builds that would be nice to have on a level 50, I have 5 other roles to fill and starting my practicing sooner is always better. I just would like to have at least one decent level 50 Nec build in my arsenal... at least.

Links, in-thread explanations, or simple tips are all good I wanna be a team player that's useful in the dungeons and raids I will definitely be participating in, so yes, there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raddok View Post
    I was wondering if there were any good Necromancer-inclusive builds for level 50+ in existence? I know there are some decent ones for pre-50, but I'm getting close to 50 so would like to get a little more serious here.

I looked through the Mage guides on this forum, but none seem to exist that I saw. I rather like Necromancer, for what reason I don't know, so anything ya'll got is good. I've been playing Trion's Nec/Loc, Gravelord, since I started a week ago, so I'm comfortable with that particular soul I guess.

P.S. I am NOT attached to Necromancer. I understand this game is all about flexibility, assuming you want the most out of it, so if you guys have any other particular builds that would be nice to have on a level 50, I have 5 other roles to fill and starting my practicing sooner is always better. I just would like to have at least one decent level 50 Nec build in my arsenal... at least.

Links, in-thread explanations, or simple tips are all good I wanna be a team player that's useful in the dungeons and raids I will definitely be participating in, so yes, there you have it.
    A necromancer build could be "passable" in expert dungeons/ember isle... but it won't compare with other DPS builds after level 50, that's the current state of things unfortunately. If you really want to make one the best would probably be 36/30 Necro/Lock, with the warlock part in about the same vein as for 36/30 Pyrolock as I detail below.

The most useful specs to have are 1 general DPS spec, and 1 51 Chloro spec. For the general DPS spec, 36/30 pyro/lock is the all-around best when just getting to 50. As I was just discussing here...

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post3921890

It's a complex spec to play well, personally I have yet to properly work in Life Leech/Void Bolt. But the basic idea (for single target) is to maximize your damage buffs and keep all your DoTs on the enemy as much as possible; these are Countdown, Searing Vitality, Dark Touch, and Life Leech (can be refreshed by Void Bolt), as well as the elusive Combust. You can't directly use Combust, it's a DoT that has a chance to be applied by each Fireball, or by Flame Bolt with Wildfire. Also by Withering Flames iirc.

Your damage buffs are Flame Bolt, Sacrifice Life: Damage, and Internalize Charge. You can alternate SLD and IC so one is always on, but they will overwrite each other so be careful.

For AoE all you really have to do is keep up Flame Bolt and Internalize Charge and spam Firestorm. You can deactivate IC once Firestorm starts channeling and it will apply to the whole channel.

This guide has some more indepth detail on the spec but note this is for 28/38 Pyrolock and thus some specifics are different. Namely 36/30 doesn't have Defile (which complicates charge management), and does have Heatwave and Withering Flames.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...dps-guide.html

And here is a guide for Chloro stuff if you're interested in healing, Chloro is a very powerful group healer at level 50.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...cer-guide.html

You can also make an Archon spec, generally it is only worth playing Archon in 20-man raids, but there it is very potent. In smaller raids the DPS gain does not always outweigh just switching to DPS yourself, and it definitely does not in 5-man groups. See my sig for a guide.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-14-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Soulwalker

So, I just got a possibility on filling about three or four roles from your post alone.

I will definitely take a look at all of these, and start practising ASAP. I don't want to be 'that guy' in the expert dungeons as much as possible, if you get my meaning.

I'll also need to start thinking about one or two roles for PvP soon. I do like PvP, but my problem is that I suck monster gonads at it, so I typically just run around zerging the bad guys (in my case, Defiants).

Very informative, there, Grinnz. Thanks a bunch. And anyone else is free to put in their two cents

EDIT: the only things I've ever done in terms of builds are Trion's suggestions, so I'm not completely sure how to fill out my skills with my points.

Any specific route I should take with that Pyro/Lock? Or just mess around until I find what suits me? I mean, most souls largely depend on prior progression to get to the next 'level' of the tree, so the big differences will probably come at the end of my points (I think). Anything helps, like I've said a few times already ^_^
    Last edited by Raddok; 08-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Any specific route I should take with that Pyro/Lock?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...xccczucVcVz.-7

For the most part all of those points are important for optimal DPS.

Soulwalker

Ahh, thank you so much. Been looking around for a soul tree map that includes Firestorm. I hate having ONLY ST DPS... I feel so much less effective when there's a swarm of adds setting upon the party. Wanna be a little versatile, even if I do give up some ST DPS.

I'm trying to have fun more than be perfect, after all

Thanks again!

EDIT: I decided to add a slight modification, and removed Flicker for a point in Philosophy of Flame... I just don't feel like Flicker will be all that useful to me. When I'm raiding or dungeon running, I'm not trying to run away, I'm trying to kill ASAP... haha!
    Last edited by Raddok; 08-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Ascendant

Ahh, thank you so much. Been looking around for a soul tree map that includes Firestorm. I hate having ONLY ST DPS... I feel so much less effective when there's a swarm of adds setting upon the party. Wanna be a little versatile, even if I do give up some ST DPS.

I'm trying to have fun more than be perfect, after all

Thanks again!

EDIT: I decided to add a slight modification, and removed Flicker for a point in Philosophy of Flame... I just don't feel like Flicker will be all that useful to me. When I'm raiding or dungeon running, I'm not trying to run away, I'm trying to kill ASAP... haha!
    You may think that, but Flicker is just amazing @_@ Once you get used to relying on it, every build that doesn't have it just feels like it's missing something!
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    You may think that, but Flicker is just amazing @_@ Once you get used to relying on it, every build that doesn't have it just feels like it's missing something!
    Could you exemplify why?

It just doesn't sound like it would be all that useful. It's an escape spell, I believe... and I'm never trying to get away from my enemy unless I'm making stupid moves and overwhelming myself in solo, haha. For dungeons and raids, it doesn't SOUND like something I'd need.

Ascendant

FLicker is great in raids when you need to move to another location quick or out run away from something or get in the bubble or out of the bubble or out of the bad stuff, especially if you play with high latency it can literally save your life.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Flicker is A) an extra Break Free that works on a good number of mechanics (though not all) and B) as mentioned, useful for moving out of stuff quickly without running, which puts you out of the fire on the ground and saves you the running time to resume DPS.

In healing builds, it's nice to have when tanks just start running ahead to chain pull so you can keep them in healing range.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Soulwalker

Hmm... I see your point(s).

Experience pays, obviously.

I shall go ahead and reset my souls, retake Flicker. Now that ya'll give examples, it makes more sense

Thanks you for all the advice ^_^ I've actually mostly got this Pyro / Lock thing on down pat, and have even touched 600-700 DPS a couple times at my best (level 45-47). Though I'm sure I can still do a lot better. One of my biggest issues is remembering to cycle SL and IC to keep my DPS at its peak, hehe.

Thank you again

Ascendant

Hmm... I see your point(s).

Experience pays, obviously.

I shall go ahead and reset my souls, retake Flicker. Now that ya'll give examples, it makes more sense

Thanks you for all the advice ^_^ I've actually mostly got this Pyro / Lock thing on down pat, and have even touched 600-700 DPS a couple times at my best (level 45-47). Though I'm sure I can still do a lot better. One of my biggest issues is remembering to cycle SL and IC to keep my DPS at its peak, hehe.

Thank you again
    I remember when people aimed for 600 DPS in expert dungeons and breaking 1k was something only OP warriors could do in raids... And when my Nature's Touch could crit for 10k...
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Ascendant

Good for you!

Hopefully with storm legion we'll be able to be a bit more flexible about what specs we want to play.

You definitely want flicker. Its a great Oh S**t ability. Plus it can be used to get you to the action faster. I use it very frequently.
    Do not be to moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not Simply good; be good for something.

+ Reply to Thread