+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fresh to Rift, fresh 50 ..low low low dps, need help.

Default Fresh to Rift, fresh 50 ..low low low dps, need help.

Ok so this is my first 50 on Rift and honestly, I've never been able to stick with an Mmorpg long enough to hit end-game content, so this is all new to me. I'm a total noob to this, but what I do know is I'm doing horrible dps, somewhere around 390 I was told.

I was also told I need a good AoE build for dungeons.

Can anyone steer me towards a good AoE build for expert dungeons?
    Also, if I base the build off of AoE will it be any good for single target, like a boss where I won't need AoE as much if any?

Again, sorry. I'm a noob. xD

edit: I've googled it too, and the ones I tried, suck. (They are the ones I used when I was told my dps was a joke)
    Last edited by 1349; 08-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Have you tried this website? >>

http://bluedots.org/tag/guide/

This is considered the 'go to' site for all things Mage, give it a try, plenty of builds and specs to test out

just go 51 pyro 15 warlock
    super simple and enough to get by
    who took my names!

The easiest AoE is probably what the above poster suggested. All you need to do is Firestorm, if you want to maximize your damage, then use Flame Bolt and Lockdown, then firestorm.

It can also do good ST damage, but that is a bit more complex. Most important parts of Pyro ST damage are the Flame Bolt damage buff, Countdown, Fireball, and Internalize Charge.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Again, forgive my noobness but what certain "perks" I guess should I pick for each? I'm sur epyro is pretty obvious, but lock?

Quote Originally Posted by 1349 View Post
    Again, forgive my noobness but what certain "perks" I guess should I pick for each? I'm sur epyro is pretty obvious, but lock?
    well 51 Pyro means you get everything so yeah :P

for Warlock, at least put points in Improved Life Leech, Opportunity, and Neddra's Influence. You can also point into the talent that makes Void Bolt refresh Life Leech, and to reduce Void Bolt's cast time, but that's all to support a more complicated method of ST DPS where you keep up Countdown, Searing Vitality, Dark Touch, and Life Leech, and refresh Life Leech with Void Bolt before it drops off. This is how you can get more DPS out of it but it's close to the complexity of 36/30 Pyro/lock and with 51 pyro the fire spells do more. The increased charge gain talent would probably be helpful to keep Internalize Charge up more often, since you don't have Sacrifice Life: Damage in that build.

And the third soul should be 0 archon, in pretty much any dps spec. Searing Vitality which you can keep on the enemy as a fire DoT, and Pillaging Stone which you can use before the fight to stack an Int/Wis buff on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    well 51 Pyro means you get everything so yeah :P

for Warlock, at least put points in Improved Life Leech, Opportunity, and Neddra's Influence. You can also point into the talent that makes Void Bolt refresh Life Leech, and to reduce Void Bolt's cast time, but that's all to support a more complicated method of ST DPS where you keep up Countdown, Searing Vitality, Dark Touch, and Life Leech, and refresh Life Leech with Void Bolt before it drops off. This is how you can get more DPS out of it but it's close to the complexity of 36/30 Pyro/lock and with 51 pyro the fire spells do more. The increased charge gain talent would probably be helpful to keep Internalize Charge up more often, since you don't have Sacrifice Life: Damage in that build.

And the third soul should be 0 archon, in pretty much any dps spec. Searing Vitality which you can keep on the enemy as a fire DoT, and Pillaging Stone which you can use before the fight to stack an Int/Wis buff on yourself.
    I uhhh ...I knew that. xD

Alright thanks man. probably gonna reduce VB's cast time, I hate the 2s cast. >.<
    1.5s seems a million times faster imo. xD

But thanks alot, I'll try this out asap.

I uhhh ...I knew that. xD

Alright thanks man. probably gonna reduce VB's cast time, I hate the 2s cast. >.<
    1.5s seems a million times faster imo. xD

But thanks alot, I'll try this out asap.
    Honestly if you like the complexity of those Warlock skills you should just run the 36/30 build, Firestorm is still pretty potent for AoE and in the same build it's competitive for the highest ST dps in the game.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...xccczucVcVz.-7

As for how to play it ... that's a matter that's been debated quite a bit.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Honestly if you like the complexity of those Warlock skills you should just run the 36/30 build, Firestorm is still pretty potent for AoE and in the same build it's competitive for the highest ST dps in the game.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...xccczucVcVz.-7

As for how to play it ... that's a matter that's been debated quite a bit.
    I don't prefer it over anything else, I just want to be able to pull my weight and hold my own in dungeons. :x

I don't prefer it over anything else, I just want to be able to pull my weight and hold my own in dungeons. :x
    Well the reason the 36/30 does so much more damage is the 20% damage buff from the high talents in warlock, combined with Sacrifice Life: Damage which you can keep up for 15 seconds every 30 seconds. The other 15 seconds you can easily fill with Internalize Charge, meaning if you can keep track of those you have a 40% damage buff all the time, on top of Flame Bolt, Glyphs of Power and Fire Armor.

Otherwise it's mostly the same as the 51 pyro build.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Well the reason the 36/30 does so much more damage is the 20% damage buff from the high talents in warlock, combined with Sacrifice Life: Damage which you can keep up for 15 seconds every 30 seconds. The other 15 seconds you can easily fill with Internalize Charge, meaning if you can keep track of those you have a 40% damage buff all the time, on top of Flame Bolt, Glyphs of Power and Fire Armor.

Otherwise it's mostly the same as the 51 pyro build.
    Well I could keep up with that. o.O how much more dps will the 36/30 do? Sorry for all the questions. xD
    Just hate to be "that guy" who can't hold his own.

Well I could keep up with that. o.O how much more dps will the 36/30 do? Sorry for all the questions. xD
    Just hate to be "that guy" who can't hold his own.
    Afraid I don't really have numbers, particularly at your gear level, but suffice it to say "more" :P

I dare you saying that. I went through a whole ethugs debate, where my point was 36/30 is competitive and 28/38 worthless to play other than epeening with the current state of 20 man. Prepare to get flamed by the same folks that debated vs me.

/signed
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Effeil View Post
    I dare you saying that. I went through a whole ethugs debate, where my point was 36/30 is competitive and 28/38 worthless to play other than epeening with the current state of 20 man. Prepare to get flamed by the same folks that debated vs me.

/signed
    I said "competitive" not "best"

28/38 will do higher overall DPS in almost every ID fight. Almost every ID fight is also single target.

36/30 is more flexible and provides bigger bursts of damage (arguably has less mobility, but moving screws over both specs quite well). Overall it can come close but the same player playing 28/38 well will do more.

Personally I don't care to be the "best" but I swapped out 36/30 for 28/38 for now because on anything AoE I just use SC/pyro, and on anything before ID the DPS checks haven't mattered in a long time. Also I'm terrible at pyro/lock anyway.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-14-2012 at 02:03 PM.

I said "competitive" not "best"
    exactly, but they don't understand that
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast