+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob in training question

Shadowlander

Default Noob in training question

My Main is a warrior, but I find myself now leveling my mage.

I'm currently at lvl 26 and spend most of my time doing normal dungeons.

Of course I have a chloro spec to allow me to heal and get a quicker time in the queue.

Now granted, I am new to a mage, and am still learning chloro; But, I find my self running into a lot of very squishy tanks( mostly rouges). My question is, how can I tell if the tank is just too squishy for the normal and there is nothing I can do, or that I am just a total fail chloro and cannot meet the HPS requirements?

Also, things seem to level out more if I can get past the first 5 seconds of a fight. Is there something I can do to help myself heal better in that initial burst of damage?

Shadowlander

A small problem is that many folks treat the beginning dungeons like the experts where you can zerg the mobs. This is possible in experts because everyone is way overgeared but not so in the beginning dungeons. This is why the tanks seem squishy - it's because they are. You will want some support heals in the form of another chloro, cleric icar or bard.

A decent healing spec at L26 might be: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRvz.xdIuo.xb.-7. What you want to do is:
    1 - set focus on the tank
    2 - target the tank
    3 - be sure you have cast on target of target set

I have simple "target" and "target @focus" macros to be certain I'm always casting on the tanks target. You're main macro at your level is:
    #show Nature's Touch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast ruin
    cast Nature's Touch
    cast vile spores
    cast dark touch

Later, you will want to move ruin down in the macro later but now it's nice to get the instant cast spell out there right away. You have two direct heals - bloom and flourish. Use these to get the tank out of trouble. Create a two bloom macros, one for the tank and one for the group. The tank macro is:
    #show bloom
    cast @focus bloom

The group one is:
    #show bloom
    cast @mouseover bloom

I bind the group bloom macro to middle mouse button. Start the pull by casting radiant spores and then hit the tank bloom macro on every cooldown and filling with the nature's touch macro. Use Flourish like an "Oh, #$%!" button.

Notice that Archon is in spec. Try to maintain 5 stacks of pillaging stone and Searing vitality. This helps. It gets better when you and the tanks get better gear and lots better when you get void life.

Rift Disciple

Sad but true, at lower levels just about no one actually collects a proper tank set of gear - they try and tank in straight dps gear. Personally, I would not queue for a random instance without already having a tank in my group that I had inspected. It's just not worth my time (or enjoyment) otherwise compared to doing quests.
    History is not written by those who are right,
    But by those who are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarion View Post
    Sad but true, at lower levels just about no one actually collects a proper tank set of gear - they try and tank in straight dps gear. Personally, I would not queue for a random instance without already having a tank in my group that I had inspected. It's just not worth my time (or enjoyment) otherwise compared to doing quests.
    At lower levels, there isn't really any tank gear. There's gear with 2 more endurance, perhaps, and you should use a shield if you're a war or cleric.

Yep, tanks be squishy until they get Toughness which isn't for a long time. Some are squishier than others since it's harder to strike a balance between survivability and threat, at least for rogues in the mid 20's. While at later levels they have the luxury of picking both, earlier on it's a choice between one or the other.

About all a tank can do is have a main that sends enough ISS over to get a 6 slot sigil and load it up with endurance lessers, and never queue as a mentor. My level 36 rogue tank has about 6k hp normally, but if I were to mentor down to even 31 it drops to under 3k because of the way the system works. Pre 50 tanks are squishy, mentored down pre 50 tanks are ungodly tough to heal.

Something I suggest you do to help out the first 5 or so seconds for trash is to open up with Nature's Fury if you can. It'll act as a HoT as you get your other casts rolling. For bosses, try to get Nature's Touch if you have it or Ruin to hit the boss as the tank is pulling to mitigate the effect of the first hit. Even if you pull aggro (which is highly unlikely) the boss still has to run a few seconds to get to you, which if the tank is awake won't happen. If you're using Withering Vines I suggest you don't. I used to have a lot of trouble healing until I stopped worrying about keeping Vines up, and then suddenly I stopped having nearly as many issues.

Finally, remember to use your charge if you're not already doing so. Entropic Veil can help out quite a bit.

+ Reply to Thread