+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defilemancer question

Default Defilemancer question

Hey guys, maybe you can help me figure out what I'm doing "wrong". My damage isn't low, I'm definitely near the top and i thought I had the "rotation" down.

I've been watching my damage lately and at the end of every fight my #1 damage spell is Fireball. I look at other defilemancers and their #1 is Countdown, and almost everything I read says countdown is your #1 damage in this spec. I'm usually within 100-200dps of these other mages, or in some cases beating them (even with Fireball is my #1 damage spell).

Spec is 38/28/0 as per typical.

Obviously I have my warlock four piece buff and improved fireball when I cast countdown - try to maintain 3 stacks of combust whenever at all possible. Always try to cast CD with either SL: D or IC up (or any/all dots for that matter).

Anything obvious or glaring that I could be missing?

Without telling us what your Spellpower is and what damage you're actually doing we can't really help you much.

Personally I'd say under 4300 on Ituziel was low for anyone in full HK or better gear, your standards may be different.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Without telling us what your Spellpower is and what damage you're actually doing we can't really help you much.

Personally I'd say under 4300 on Ituziel was low for anyone in full HK or better gear, your standards may be different.
    Not sure you got my question.. I didn't even mention a specific dps number since that isn't the issue. The issue is which spell is doing the highest amount of damage.

Rift Disciple

To answer your question, most 5k+ parses I have seen fireball is highest, even as much as 17-19%, most around 16%

countdown is higher per gcd, but you can only have 1 per 8 seconds.
    Opalisk - Mage Officer
    Aegis - Hailol
    4/4 GA, 2/3 IG
    www.aegisguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by theepiphany View Post
    Not sure you got my question.. I didn't even mention a specific dps number since that isn't the issue. The issue is which spell is doing the highest amount of damage.
    I understand, but you said you thought you were doing well but weren't sure.
    It's hard to clarify if you're doing what you should be without further info, that's what I was getting at.
    Usually Fireball is higher than Countdown though.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalisk View Post
    To answer your question, most 5k+ parses I have seen fireball is highest, even as much as 17-19%, most around 16%

countdown is higher per gcd, but you can only have 1 per 8 seconds.
    Perfect. Just wanted to make sure. Appreciate the clarification. Wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Rift Disciple

Like I said, most higher parses are with fireball highest, and the 17-19% ones are the good RNG with opp proc chains boosting the dps. But well played no mistake parses are usually 15-16% fireball and 14-15% CD, at least from my experience.

WTB "Fireball now has a chance to reset the cooldown and trigger Countdown"!
    Last edited by Opalisk; 08-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Opalisk - Mage Officer
    Aegis - Hailol
    4/4 GA, 2/3 IG
    www.aegisguild.com

Hey guys, maybe you can help me figure out what I'm doing "wrong". My damage isn't low, I'm definitely near the top and i thought I had the "rotation" down.

I've been watching my damage lately and at the end of every fight my #1 damage spell is Fireball. I look at other defilemancers and their #1 is Countdown, and almost everything I read says countdown is your #1 damage in this spec. I'm usually within 100-200dps of these other mages, or in some cases beating them (even with Fireball is my #1 damage spell).

Spec is 38/28/0 as per typical.

Obviously I have my warlock four piece buff and improved fireball when I cast countdown - try to maintain 3 stacks of combust whenever at all possible. Always try to cast CD with either SL: D or IC up (or any/all dots for that matter).

Anything obvious or glaring that I could be missing?

From my experience its mostly RNG, I guess it all comes down to Opp procs, Combust management, and priorities in your rotation. I did a 5.1k parse on Ituziel last week with countdown higher than fireball but all the other 5k+ breakdowns I have seen have a higher fireball. If you are pulling good numbers don't concern yourself too much with percentages.

If what you are doing is working, keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalisk View Post
    WTB "Fireball now has a chance to reset the cooldown and trigger Countdown"!
    WTB Heatwave triggering Countdown.

On topic, you should be averaging a 1.5:1 FB to CD ratio at the very least with terrible opp rng and should contribute at least 15% of your dps.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Fireball 15%, countdown 14% is what gets me the highest parse numbers usually.

Sometimes fireball can creep up to 16%. If your fireball is much higher then 16% I would say you are not managing your dot's to there fullest potential.

Rift Disciple

I want to add a side question to this thread:

How the hell do you guys manage combust? I swear I have the worst luck with combust constantly falling off regardless of how many flame bolts or fireballs I throw at it.

I know you should be spreading out your wildfires, I know you should be judging your opp procs on fireball procs or not.

What else can I do!?

+ Reply to Thread