+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mage Pvp

Telaran

Default Mage Pvp

Got the second tier of gear (no weapons cause I'm not a high enough rank yet)

Used the pyrolock up till 50 and it was great, till 50...

Used both the specs in this guide
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...hloro-dom.html
    The pyrodom one was just not doing enough dmg for me the it was extremely squishy (Maybe I just don't have the gear for it) and I'm using the chlorodom spec from it and it's got some great survivability and dmg is decent but just wondering if there are better ones out there

Looking for that one where mages are topping dmg done charts in wfs and not getting killed in 3 seconds lol

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Are you trying to facetank people? You have to be very clever in using pyrodom to avoid going toe-to-toe and not stray away from healers.

You honestly can't expect to just run into WFs and roll over people with enormous survivability. Even though mages need a fair amount of tweaking for people who don't want to put in the hours to gear and get familiar with the builds, it's not difficult to be effective (as long as you know when to pick your battles).

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Telaran

If they are topping the charts they are probably using 51pyro, lock/pyro, and pyro/dom can do it as well. If you want survivability the 38/28lock/pyro is the best, but survivability is really more about positioning and good decisions.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    Are you trying to facetank people? You have to be very clever in using pyrodom to avoid going toe-to-toe and not stray away from healers.

You honestly can't expect to just run into WFs and roll over people with enormous survivability. Even though mages need a fair amount of tweaking for people who don't want to put in the hours to gear and get familiar with the builds, it's not difficult to be effective (as long as you know when to pick your battles).
    Not trying to tank ****, just want to last longer than 3 seconds and be able to do more than 40k dmg done in a wf....

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    Not trying to tank ****, just want to last longer than 3 seconds and be able to do more than 40k dmg done in a wf....
    The reality is that any of the common mage PvP specs can do just that. Positioning, situational awareness, and good target acquisition are necessary. If you're low on gear and running solo, chloro/dom is probably your best bet. Defilemancer is good for solo queuing, but you'll have trouble killing anything without good gear.

Shadowlander

It's hard to compete without full gear vs the massive melee trains or warriors that destroy everything in a few globals. The immunity and gap closers in this game now have meant that most mages now play warriors in pvp. Two of the best ones that pvp I know now play warrior go figure.

The recent 1.9 patch was a game breaker, the bland true pvpless gear grind of conquest and the class changes couldn't have come at a worst time. It was make or break for rift and they catered for the lowest common denominator.

just have to play smart and assist ks haha.
    if someone cottons on that they can pk you in a couple of gdc they're going to go out of their way to pad their kb count with your hide.
    stick with others and preference toward joining rather than instigating combat, at least until your practiced and high valor
    who took my names!

Mage is the BEST calling for PvP if played right, otherwise it's crap, there's no in between ~

Ascendant

Positioning is key, especially as an undergeared mage. Stay with the back line and keep an eye open on your surroundings. If your team's front line begins to crumble or an enemy blinks/riftwalks/unstealths in the rear, reposition immediately before engaging again.

You won't be topping the damage charts even with skilled play until you have better gear. You can, however, improve your play so that when you do get better gear you will be feared.

Got the second tier of gear (no weapons cause I'm not a high enough rank yet)

Used the pyrolock up till 50 and it was great, till 50...

Used both the specs in this guide
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...hloro-dom.html
    The pyrodom one was just not doing enough dmg for me the it was extremely squishy (Maybe I just don't have the gear for it) and I'm using the chlorodom spec from it and it's got some great survivability and dmg is decent but just wondering if there are better ones out there

Looking for that one where mages are topping dmg done charts in wfs and not getting killed in 3 seconds lol
    "The pyrodom one was just not doing enough dmg for me the it was extremely squishy (Maybe I just don't have the gear for it) "

It's you. I always suggest pyrodom to noob mages and despite their gear they started to enjoy PvP much more after they got the basics of the spec down.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by minipara View Post
    Mage is the BEST calling for PvP if played right, otherwise it's crap, there's no in between ~
    The best calling for PUG PVP, and furthermore the best calling for fighting an team that doesnt know what they are doing.
    Ill be singing this song for my chloro til i get buffedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwHA495iHU
    I Xbox Controller Turn, Keyboard turners cant see me son. I Hadouken my rotations.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Troj View Post
    It's hard to compete without full gear vs the massive melee trains or warriors that destroy everything in a few globals.
    It's hard to compete against that even with gear.

With the current fotm warrior spec all you need to be able to do is hold down W and press a total of 3 other buttons. If you can manage that, you're in the running for best warrior@world atm.

A mage needs a lot more coordination, due to casttimes, the inability to take their amount of punishment etc.
    Just stick with it, it'll get better.

It wasn't till I hit rank 50 with near full gear, most runes and good PA (Don't forget PA!) that I realised even the R36 gear + weapons wasn't all that.
    Argantes - P50 Warrior
    Crossreaper - P45 Rogue
    Darkraven P50 Mage
    Storm Inquisition, Icewatch.

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous
    Matthew 5:44-45

Yeahhhhh, love your enemies that make you QQ in pvp atm, because the MMO cycle continues and a massive FotM mage spec in pvp will arise. Pray for Trion as he is our video game nerd father and will make mages collect tears with another spec than pyro/x.

And then.... QQ RAGE MOAR NOOB RAGE HAAA FOTM *THIS GAME SUCKS I'M QUITTING* HAAA YOU'RE BADDIES BECAUSE YOU CLICK 2 BUTTONS BLABLABLABLABLA GAGAGAGA threads will poison the forums to request mage nerfs. And then mages will be nerfed, another calling will be overbuffed, and so on and so on.
    Last edited by Effeil; 08-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Shadowlander

Default Pyro/Dom

I loooove Pyro/Dom. I am P43 with full 36 gear and saving for P50 gear but I can usually be top 3-4 KBs but until I got full P36, gear, a full PvP source machine (+END focus), and runes I was very squishy but basically with Puro/Dom your rotation is Squirrell, Storm Shackle, FlameBolt for +10% dmg, Firebolt spam ---- If you are going against a warrior use Burn to keep their damage down, flicker away, lockdown so they can't move and hope help comes LOL

Quote Originally Posted by minipara View Post
    Are you high?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast